Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702301 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (Lawas knows where I live)
« Reply #4665 on: June 15, 2012, 06:32:15 am »

Yes, that's quite true. I might make instruments entirely flavour items. I'll have a think.
The instruments should be their only weapons, and creative (not necessarily intelligent) use of them should be encouraged. And someone should play banjo.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: June 15, 2012, 06:45:55 am »

Well, I agree, but then thought that would punish players who don't want a character with an instrument.

But then, wikipedia seems to suggest a minstrel used an instrument. I think they will have instruments.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: June 15, 2012, 07:19:35 am »

I am ok with that. The poetry thing was just a potential idea.
Soaplent green is goblins!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: June 15, 2012, 07:43:06 am »

Well, it won't be immediate anyway, I've got a deathmatch to finish and a dodgy hand to contend with (and a plot to develop). In any case, I might just keep it as simple as possible and only have name/wounds/minstrel points with anything else as purely flavour. We'll see. I'll try to remember to post here when I am approaching readiness.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: June 18, 2012, 08:41:32 am »

Maybe we should set up a How to Roll thread, with basic tips and tricks, and also a place to ask question to improve your writing/ rolling /gm'ing.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: June 18, 2012, 08:42:33 am »

The tutorials part in the Hall is supposed to hold things like that. Or that least links for that as soon as the space becomes too small, which I find unlikely to happen so early.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: June 18, 2012, 08:44:20 am »

Maybe we should set up a How to Roll thread, with basic tips and tricks, and also a place to ask question to improve your writing/ rolling /gm'ing.
I really look forward to an RTD tutorial...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: June 18, 2012, 08:49:08 am »

The tutorials part in the Hall is supposed to hold things like that. Or that least links for that as soon as the space becomes too small, which I find unlikely to happen so early.
Which tutorials part and where?

The roll to dodge library certainly doesn't contain any tutorials.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: June 18, 2012, 08:58:11 am »

Yeah, the second post was supposed to contain the tutorials, but no one has submitted any.
>Yes?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: June 18, 2012, 02:44:17 pm »

It's one of those things I intended and still intend to do but have been incredibly lazy about. I know at least one other person expressed interest in doing it as well.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #4675 on: June 18, 2012, 02:47:24 pm »

I think I started writing an FAQ but never got around to finishing it. As always.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4676 on: June 18, 2012, 03:18:48 pm »

*10ebbor10 has completed his greatest work: A shown below. (Draft One) Feel free to add or modify.

A rollers guide to the Universe: Part 1
[/size]

What is Roll to Dodge?

Roll to dodge, short RtD is a simple forum game systems, which probably originated and is most popular on The Bay 12 forums, found here. It's a very simple system, that lends itself best to RPG esque action games, and is also often used in deadmatch style games. An Rtd is often simple and easy to run, depending on just a single die, though many variations excist. In short, a single d6 is rolled for every players action, the effects being determined using the following table:
Code: (D6 roll system) [Select]
1: Epic Fail
2: Fail
3: Partial succes
4: Succes
5: Epic Succes
6: Overshoot

As the rules are quite simple, this means that there's a larger demand on the Gm's imagination and intuition. In general, Rtd's tend to go two ways: Silly or grimdark. This is because of the erratic nature of the dice, as for every roll there's a fairly large chance of something going Epically wrong/ Just too right.

The benefits of the RtD system

First of all, it's simple. However, the sheer simplicity of the rules allow you to easily change it, resulting in a near infinitive freedom for the Gm to do as he whiches. Therefore an Rtd may end up quite complex.

Second: ???? (Someone help me with this.)

How do I start an Rtd?
First, find a good idea. If you can't immediatly come up with one, or are not sure about the implementation go and see the Roller's block thread, found here. This also works as an immediate interest check.

Second, if you are sure you're ready to run your game, you post the topic(Kinda obvious). While there are no strict rules about these things, the following tips will aid your game being noticed.
1. Informative title + (x/y players)*With x = the amount of players and y= the amount of spots
2. The Op should give insight in the games mechanics, the setting and your skill as gm. It's always a good idea to make a descent first impression
3. The Bay12 forums can be both fast and slow, sometimes at the same time. If nobody responds to your game, don't panic. Just wait a bit and hopefully someone will notice. Feel free to bump if it falls of the first page.

Rtd tips and tricks
      -Forum language:
Code: [Select]
Abbrevations allow you to place text in popups, and are used like this [abbr=Text here]Word here[/abbr].
Named spoilers= [spoiler=Spoiler Name here][/spoiler]
Really small text: [sub][sub][sub]Text here[/sub][/sub][/sub]
Links behind words[*url=Link here]Words here[/url]

-Others:
Put your game up in the library, found here
Read some old games in the Hall of fame, found here

Advanced Rtd-ing
The following systems are modifications to the basic template, and can be used by the Gm if you want:

1. The GWSWS
Spoiler: GWSWS 1.2 (click to show/hide)
The first three injury types you see there are bleeding injuries, and they drain health directly. The last four are structural injuries; they don't drain health, but instead provide penalties. If you break a rib for instance, that's -2 to movement and dodge rolls. A missing/broken arm gives -2 to use of two-handed weapons, etc.

As for blunt damage and internal bleeding, I'm thinking that could work. Another possibility is just making huge differences in attack/dodge rolls (like seven or more, not normally possible on a d6) inflict an instant death blow. That way a blunt weapon gradually incapacitates the enemy with wounds and increases their dodge penalty, eventually to the point that a death blow is assured. Which also brings up the question of how to deal with unconsciousness and GAH

2.And it's variation:
Spoiler: GMWS (click to show/hide)

So! Of note, nonlethal attacks deal damage by attacking HP directly without inflicting injuries. Weapons/attacks are intended to deal either HP damage or Injury damage, not both. I threw out the idea of "skilled medical attention," replacing it with the need for legit medical supplies for some injuries. I specified some penalties for the structural injuries (probably needs balancing.) Overall, it is a bit harder to die since you get a specific Roll to Dodge Death that only comes up in specific instances, but it is easier end up unconscious due to rebalancing of Bleeding and direct HP damage.

3. A simple draft for the wound system for GWSWS

4. There's also the overshoot rules, adjusting the core principle of an RtD

[Insert overshoot rules here]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:28:54 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #4677 on: June 18, 2012, 03:21:16 pm »

First thought upon reading that: Oh great, another RTD! :D

And then it was a guide.

Joy!

Suggestion: Perhaps list what to expect in an RTD and what are it's defining characteristics to the players i.e. what makes it so interesting other than a 'bunch of math'.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4678 on: June 18, 2012, 03:23:32 pm »

I'll have something of the sort done up in a bit.

Maybe.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #4679 on: June 18, 2012, 04:14:06 pm »

I'm calling the thread making now, though. Why? Because I can. But I can will write in as much as people want me to write in. I'm also going to have a hearty rant about spelling and grammar.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!
Pages: 1 ... 310 311 [312] 313 314 ... 661