Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699485 times)

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Minimalist RTD's need to die.

I want semi-generic fantasy back :(

Ditto, minimalist are infesting the board now.
Durrr..

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile

You guys remember when someone asked why we didn't have a TF2 RTD? Well, apparently there WAS one. But it ended after about 46 posts in 2008. Would anyone be interested in joining one?
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

Minimalist RTD's need to die.

Ditto, minimalist are infesting the board now.
I dunno, I quite like them. Gives a fresh air to the board. Like times of olde.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Eh, it's more that once the bar has been lowered, it's hard to bring it up back up. People who put effort into their games wonder why they should even bother when anyone can run a minimalist RTD that people will be happy with. Why waste time and effort putting forth an intriguing concept, story, setting, or mechanical system you care about when someone will just make YOU ARE/DO/AT X?
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Because those games are fun too? There's always an easy way to do things, and RTD's are no different. You'll note that most of the games that last a long time are the ones that do have good story/mechanics, not the minimalists. If you just want to have a lot of people chortle at your silliness, minimalists have a low investment cost to start and maintain. If you want to run your game because you like the story/mechanics, there will always be players who are drawn to the fact that you care. I'm kinda surprised I need to say this, considering we're on the Dwarf Fortress forums :P

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Is this game PvP or PvE? Because if it is the latter, then it doesn't particularly matter what the players choose because, as GM, you're responsible for making sure they run into threats that are appropriate for their abilities- enemies weak to the burninating so they can die horribly, and enemies resistant to the burninating so they can force the players to think outside the box.
This was originally the vein I was thinking in, yeah- it'd be easy to make sure there's shock wolves and shadow wolves and thornfang wolves in amongst all the regular wolves.

If you expect players to be fighting players (or if you just want to be able to fairly generate enemies using the same system) then yeah, you could rely on the fact that since various magics are easier to resist players will be more prone to play physical classes, which in turn lowers the likelihood they take magical defenses which in turn opens the niche for the odd magic user, but THAT'S BORING. YOU KNOW WHAT'S NOT BORING?

Maybe adding effects to magic? I mean with physical there poison and bleeding with magic it magic so it could have anything (with in reason).

ADD EFFECTS TO EVERYTHING!

Okay, so, you may not have noticed, but I'm typing this while really tired, so I might ramble here. Basically, give all attacks two effects, a primary and a secondary. The primary effect is the obvious "I hit you with a sword" damage, but the secondary effect can be anything, including another source of damage. Thus, even though there might be a relative paucity of fire mages, their absence would be compensated by all the warriors running around with flaming swords that deal Slashing and Fire damage. I'm envisioning most weapons being focused around damage, while magic-users would have access to abilities that, say, deal Fire damage as the primary effect and the secondary is a DoT effect, or a multi-target special ability, or something. Which is not to say that they wouldn't also have abilities that deal Fire and Frost, or Fire and Piercing (Fire arrow attack!) or Fire and MOAR FIRE!
Then this came up, on both accounts. I don't have any specific plans for PVP, but there's nothing stopping it and potentially players could be rivals or even enemies in certain tasks or situations, plus monsters are going to be built essentially like players.

The first part of your idea seems to be the opposite of what I want, though- essentially, you're saying to make fire damage more common, which would seem to make fire resistance more valuable, which would seem to make being a fire mage a bad idea because everyone's going to be resistant to it because everyone uses it and it's cheap.

As for the second part... still need to get around to abilities. The combat system is kind of too simple not to have them, and they're another way (alongside items) players are going to be better than monsters of the same level (since they'll have roughly the same stats otherwise), but I'm still not sure of the specifics.

Eh, it's more that once the bar has been lowered, it's hard to bring it up back up. People who put effort into their games wonder why they should even bother when anyone can run a minimalist RTD that people will be happy with. Why waste time and effort putting forth an intriguing concept, story, setting, or mechanical system you care about when someone will just make YOU ARE/DO/AT X?
Because those games are fun too? There's always an easy way to do things, and RTD's are no different. You'll note that most of the games that last a long time are the ones that do have good story/mechanics, not the minimalists. If you just want to have a lot of people chortle at your silliness, minimalists have a low investment cost to start and maintain. If you want to run your game because you like the story/mechanics, there will always be players who are drawn to the fact that you care. I'm kinda surprised I need to say this, considering we're on the Dwarf Fortress forums :P
In related news, many times I've been tempted to just start up some low-investment RTD with no/few mechanics. I can never bring myself to not add experience or something to it, though. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yoink and Monk12's minimalists were the best ones on the forum.

Sorry everyone else, but attempting to imitate those guys' sense of humor is an uphill battle.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

I agree. I haven't really seen any for quite a while.

Then you can run into people like me who want to be more complex simply for the sake of making minimalists look bad. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Sure, but you'll be ignored like me to Monk12's last post. :P More seriously, @Monk12: how does Spinal_Taper's HoF minimalist RTD fit into your 'minimalists don't last' argument? It was started in July and it's still going. Also, don't bring DF into this. It really has little relevance to the RTD section of the board, and some of us - if not most - haven't played that in months.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure, but you'll be ignored like me to Monk12's last post. :P
Do you mean on this thread? Because I don't see his last two posts being ignored at all.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I love complex RtDs and always want to run them, but I often find I can't or it becomes too much of a hassle to have real systems instead of "you have X value because... it's arbitrary. I don't know. You just do."
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Sure, but you'll be ignored like me to Monk12's last post. :P
Do you mean on this thread? Because I don't see his last two posts being ignored at all.
...I was joking about how I was busy with other things and did not respond to the majority of his post. -____-

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...I was joking about how I was busy with other things and did not respond to the majority of his post. -____-
Oh, apologies, I completely missed part of the sentence.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

In related news, many times I've been tempted to just start up some low-investment RTD with no/few mechanics. I can never bring myself to not add experience or something to it, though. :P
And a bodypart based healthsystem, as wel dynamic movement rules, and a neonewtonian ruleset for calculating firebal range...

That's just me, isn't it.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

And a bodypart based healthsystem, as wel dynamic movement rules, and a neonewtonian ruleset for calculating firebal range...

That's just me, isn't it.
Well, you and adwarf. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 661