Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702167 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In related news, many times I've been tempted to just start up some low-investment RTD with no/few mechanics. I can never bring myself to not add experience or something to it, though. :P
And a bodypart based healthsystem, as wel dynamic movement rules, and a neonewtonian ruleset for calculating firebal range...

That's just me, isn't it.

I'm getting horrible GURPS flashbacks.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Eh, it's more that once the bar has been lowered, it's hard to bring it up back up. People who put effort into their games wonder why they should even bother when anyone can run a minimalist RTD that people will be happy with. Why waste time and effort putting forth an intriguing concept, story, setting, or mechanical system you care about when someone will just make YOU ARE/DO/AT X?

On minimalist RTDs, if I may offer my opinion:

Comparing a minimalist RTD and a complex RTD is quite futile. Sure, they both provide enjoyment, but it's a different sort of enjoyment for each one. What you're saying is like making a statement: why make a cRPG or RTS if making a simple puzzle game is so much easier? I'm afraid I might be repeating previous posts a bit, but the statement really bothers me.

While minimalist RTDs are far easier to maintain, they seldom have any real meaning or gravity. Most minimalist RTDs can aspire to be merely funny or bizarre, but ultimately meaningless (not that there's anything wrong with that kind of art), while more complex and consistent systems can provide a better sense of engagement, cohesive narrative, meaningful adventure and much more value to the occasions when something truly bizarre happens.

Besides, minimalist RTDs very rarely offer the chance for any decent RP. Or any good powergaming, either. Minimalist RTDs are more of a platform for the GM generally just being funny in an absurd way with some numbers to back them up.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Eh, it's more that once the bar has been lowered, it's hard to bring it up back up. People who put effort into their games wonder why they should even bother when anyone can run a minimalist RTD that people will be happy with. Why waste time and effort putting forth an intriguing concept, story, setting, or mechanical system you care about when someone will just make YOU ARE/DO/AT X?
Hey, that's what we're feeling now XD

Or...maybe just me?

Minimalist RTD's need to die.

I want semi-generic fantasy back :(
Note: Parody of the first sentence incoming within the week ;P

Yoink and Monk12's minimalists were the best ones on the forum.

Sorry everyone else, but attempting to imitate those guys' sense of humor is an uphill battle.
Humor is needed for an RTD, whether serious/story bound or not.  :P
Also, wasn't there an RTD tutorial or something being made?

[...]
While minimalist RTDs are far easier to maintain, they seldom have any real meaning or gravity. Most minimalist RTDs can aspire to be merely funny or bizarre, but ultimately meaningless (not that there's anything wrong with that kind of art), while more complex and consistent systems can provide a better sense of engagement, cohesive narrative, meaningful adventure and much more value to the occasions when something truly bizarre happens.
[...]
I'm guessing its due to the type of scenery and how the players are referred to in the situation. People don't go into their character, but seem to spawn a generic/specified idea which can easily be dealt with by a 1d6, wherein there is no sort of leash on the power of the Players/GM in their action and immersion.

Though I've seen people use Minimalists as a springboard for being new, I'm guessing we really need an RTD tutorial addressing this fact.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Note: Parody of the first sentence incoming within the week ;P
YOU MUST KILL THE MINIMALIST RTDS?

I keep saying I'm going to.

I keep saying I'm going to do a lot of things.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I keep saying I'm going to.

I keep saying I'm going to do a lot of things.
We still know that when you do, they're epic and of a high quality. :P

Hmm, perhaps we can establish some kind of repository for tutorial notes instead of leaving it to one person? A compendium, perhaps, before the thread is established instead? The deed looks enormous to do alone, IMO, but I don't know any other site but Quicktopic for putting down something which would stand as the Newcomer's greeting to this subboard.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I still am unsure what an "RTD Tutorial" would consist of aside from the very basics outlined in the OPs of most RTDs. Pretty much every single one is different aside from the standard d6 chaos.

Wait, I feel like this conversation has been on here before.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

We have it every ten weeks or so. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

*Looks at thread title* Right around then would be the last time.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Like some guys said, some people come here for those RTD's where their actions matter. RTD's where they can develop their characters with story around and read the tales!

And you can fuck make sweet love to monster girls in my that's why, though i haven't said it or any idiot would attempt it soon...

@Freeform, D6 is god, D6 is your master and you shall obey the will of the D6.
Durrr..

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am a heathen and stick to 2d10 and 4DF.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am a heathen and stick to 2d10 and 4DF.

AHHH! HERETIC!! BURN HIM, FOR THE GLORY OF THE d6!
Durrr..

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Hey, Freeform. Are there any good tutorials or 'For Dummies' type things for Fudge? I'm kind of curious about it. (Just asking you since you used Fudge dice there. >.>)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, Freeform. Are there any good tutorials or 'For Dummies' type things for Fudge? I'm kind of curious about it.

I use FATE but the general concept is the same. I could teach you the system pretty quick on IRC or something though.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fudge dice? Does that mean FFS cheats his dice or...?

Sorry, I'm not that used to the many meanings of terminology and you, are. :P

Still, looking up any site which can provide a good way of showing a person's draft while others can see it for the Tutorial...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Yoink and Monk12's minimalists were the best ones on the forum.

Sorry everyone else, but attempting to imitate those guys' sense of humor is an uphill battle.

:o I think I teared up a little.

No, I'm serious, I did, just... <3
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 661