Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702166 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Pride and Prejudice RTD. It needs to happen.

Or, y'know, any given Dating RTD

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile

I remember someone tried to make a dating sim suggestion game once. It didn't end well.
It's FEF, not FEOF

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Thank you for reminding me this exists and I need to play it.

I remember someone tried to make a dating sim suggestion game once. It didn't end well.
I can imagine.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile

Yeah, based on roll results and character actions. XD The acronym/hovering the mouse tells you where to look to find the turn.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Thank you for reminding me this exists and I need to play it.

Oh.

Oh god.

After talking about it, and reading the LP, I ended up buying it ($4.76) and gotta say, WORTH EVERY PENNY. Super tempted to do something with it, but I know better than to leap right in while still on my honeymoon with it.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Oh hell yes. That's the last bit of encouragement I needed. I've wanted to buy it for months but told myself not to be silly.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Speaking of games I need to buy and play, after about ten minutes of the barebones demo for Kerbal Space Program and some reading up on the exploits of local dwarves, I've gotten yet another RTD idea.

Who Are You?
Essentially, you play as some sort of small, cute by certain standards, probably not very bright thing trying to get into space. Well, get other people into space; you personally are probably averse to blowing up.

You're in charge of your own company, and players can even band together if they don't mind sharing. Players can also be from different races/countries, to add a bit more pride or competition or what have you to making it to space first.

The government is fairly simple-minded, disorganized, and short-sighted, so while they might or might not be partially responsible for your funding, they're not going to play a huge role. Mainly you're doing this because you like money/power/progress/you feel like it. They could also possibly give quests or incentives or something, but again, main focus is whatever you feel like.

What Do You Do?
Now, once you get up to space, the rest is kind of up to you. The rest of the world is kind of simple-minded, so if you want to invent satellite television or build a giant space telescope, odds are fairly decent nobody's beaten you to it. Aside from other players, of course.

There will also be more obvious goals, like trying to harvest asteroids, mine on planets, create a death laser, etc. Once again, the driving force here is whatever you feel like doing, not any particular goal of plant a flag on X or come back with samples of Y.

How Do You Do That?
Now for the fun stuff.

Everything you build has to be designed and built in components; you don't just "build a rocket," you build a command module, slap an engine on it, slap a disposable booster on that, decide you might like cool racing stripes, etc. But before even that, you have to design it.

So basically, this is where things get sadistic- in order to have a module, you need to roll for both designing and building it, and both will be hidden.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's right, you're going to be constructing spacecraft out of parts with two chances to not work, have a flaw, or actively try to kill you. Generally speaking the scale will work like so:

[6] Overboard. The part works better than intended, but more expensively and less efficiently.
[5] Flawless. The part works even better than anticipated, usually meaning its more efficient.
[4] Functional. The part works as intended.
[3] Flawed. The part has some hidden drawback or weakness; you might never encounter it, or it might ruin you immediately.
[2] Failed. The part doesn't work.
[1] Dangerous. The part is outright counterproductive.

Where this gets double sadistic is that if a part does blow up immediately, you won't necessarily know if the design is crap or you built it wrong or what, so a few more test flights may be in order before you can officially say that yeah, this part is actively malicious or no, this works fine we just got unlucky.

There's A Silver Lining Though, Right?
Oh yes! As reward for blowing up countless innocent, poorly trained "astronauts," you'll learn what works and what doesn't. Which in turn means you can refine your designs, improving them as you see fit. At a minimum, this means your stuff will get better when it does work. Better still, this might mean different players will specialize in different things, meaning if you suddenly find yourself needing totally different rockets or hungering for life support that actually does anything, someone else might have just that and be willing to sell it to you.

Well That Doesn't Sound So-
Oh wait, have I mentioned that once a mission gets underway, you have to roll for the mission? So, you know, you can't just lift off the one time you get a ship where nothing explodes- you've gotta roll for that too! Meaning, oh, wait, did I forget to mention, in addition to not knowing if something has a design flaw or manufacturing flaw, it could have been pilot error also?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

So yeah. The more I put this on paper the more it sounds like an excuse to be a dick to my players.

Also, in addition to general vagueness regarding what stats or features modules would have, how precisely those are improved, what happens when you just chain-improve something without testing it (default answer- it globs allllllllll the flaws together and there's either no way to fix them or good luck figuring out what went wrong when the answer is everything), there's the fact that a hidden-roll game sounds awfully opaque. I don't doubt it could be entertaining, and I have seen other hidden-roll games be very interesting, but I tend to prefer seeing that [3] or [6] in there.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

I would play that.

I don't normally like that kind of thing but I would definitely play that.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to HERP
« Reply #5966 on: January 29, 2013, 07:44:18 am »

So, I have some ideas for my next game (none of them is Roll to Pride and Prejudice), and this is one of them. Apologies for not putting it all in a spoiler.

HELP, EVACUATION & RESCUE PATROL: DISASTER UNKNOWN

ROLL TO HERP

Crikey!*

The Australian Outback is a dangerous place, mate! A thousand miles from the nearest plaster; two thousand miles from the nearest hospital – the average Australian only survives his daily struggle thanks to the heroic efforts of the national HERP: the airborne doctors, nurses, firefighters and rescue workers of the Help, Evacuation & Rescue Patrol.

This is where you come in. The last HERP detachment disappeared after losing radio contact whilst trying to contain a camel farm stampede 500 miles south of Mount Isa, and YOU are the latest HERP recruits.

You choose one of many emergency worker professions and, as soon as an emergency is radioed in, the day’s HERP Leader selects his squad, flies out, and FIGHTS FIRE, DISEASE, and DISASTER TO SAVE AUSTRALIA.

Spoiler: How? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Missions? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: And then? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Research? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)
Character Sheet to copy and paste
Code: [Select]
[spoiler=Name]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Profession:[/b]
[b]Skills:[/b]
[b]Stats:[/b]
Strength:
Dexterity:
Toughness:
Intelligence:
Will:
Charisma:
Luck:
[b]Health:[/b] [color=teal][b]50/50[/b][/color]
[b]Details:[/b] Bio, description, etc.
[/spoiler]

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Snip

Sounds very familiar. A bit more RTD-y. Don't mind though.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:05:36 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I'd enjoy blowing up repeatedly on the launchpad Irony.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to HERP
« Reply #5969 on: January 29, 2013, 02:24:55 pm »

-snip- Emergency! But In Australia And Crazy -snip-

This sounds pretty good, and I'd totally play it.

-snip- KSP RTD -snip-

But this one made me squee, particularly since my computer can no longer handle KSP. If I had more time I'd dive right into trying to come up with some mechanics for it, but since I'll be going to work soon I'll just throw out a couple ideas that immediately sprang to mind.

Experienced Pilots- As pilots complete missions, they gain experience which makes them better at some of the aspects of piloting a giant rocket (atmosphere flight/maneuvering, orbital flight/maneuvering, mechanical repair, etc.) The idea being that there should be some reason to incorporate safety features, amusing as it might be to wantonly slaughter hordes of Kerbals.

Mission Mechanics- Right off the bat, if I were doing this I'd have crew actions and design rolls be the standard 1d6 you've got there, but have "does the command capsule separate properly" type rolls be 2d6- this allows you to be more generous with bonuses, and also introduces a deviation curve that may allow design flaws to persist unnoticed for quite some time.

Research- Definitely something I want, not sure if there's a satisfying way to do it. To explain, in my mind Research is a way to get more money for each flight (as scientific institutions pay you money to conduct orbital research) and also a way to unlock special materials and/or new components for better performance and more options. Still very tenuous on that one, since if it makes it in it can't undercut the core design mechanic.

Ohh, so many ideas buzzing around my head for this now. I'll be back.

Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 661