Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702628 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Setting

The eternal war between the Black God and White God rages. The mortals still fight, but their strife has been called to peace. Through prophets of both gods and heavy losses in the last war, the people are unwilling to slay one another and retain the blessings of their God by ritual rather than bloodshed. Sacrifices have been made, and quite literally so, but the mortals have made their peace. Now is a time of exploration for the Mortal Realm- only a small part of their world is inhabited, due to the Cataclysmic Gray, a great reckoning where the Aether and the Mortal Realm collided and the war of the gods was fought on both fronts- until only those truly devout were left on the earth, clustered together in the last city. There, the Gods came to their first uneasy truce, allowing the Mortals to live.

The world has finally opened to the Mortals, and once more Aelus's golden streets and lofty spires are populated with the followers of both Gods. From here and from the many close-by border towns, great expansions are launched. Some take boats and sail for the open seas, some take great airships and fly above the clouds, and some take off on foot or by horse to find what there is to find out on the land. And find people did- sprawling ruins and dungeons now inhabited by all kinds of creatures unseen by the Mortals, many still holding treasure, and a time of wealth came to those willing to hunt for it...

You are one such mortal. Growing up as a member of one of the Twelve Houses, you picked up values and abilities that come in handy for the trials ahead. You and other various people you know- people you wouldn't go without- have made plans to become one of the many Adventuring Parties that seek to explore the world and blaze trails to places not yet seen- become successful enough, and it's possible you'll even be able to found your own outpost- then growing to a city under your guide. But before such dreams can be realized, the world must be uncovered from the veil it's under.

Heads up. I don't ever intent to run this. It's possible, maybe plausible, that something might come of it in the future, but it won't be this exact thing. Take from it what you will.

You are born under a House, each with a Sign of it's own. Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pisces. Each House specializes in one area of theology- writing, prayer, summoning, and the like. For instance, Libra specializes in those who write the scriptures of the White God, and can record knowledge and words of the White God and preach them. Words of God are powerful and not to be trifled with- the Names of the Gods can cause events equal to the Cataclysmic Gray...

Basically, there are six abilities for each God, and the chosen sign gives a boost to one.

Furthermore, Role is an important factor in how you are seen. Although religion is unified, there are many different denominations for each group, as such:
The Followers are the simplest group of followers, they simply observe holiday of their religion and take a day of every week to hear their God's scripture read. They get no bonuses or penalties.
The Spectre are a group of followers who cover themselves from head to toe in cloth matching the color of their God, and devoutly read and preach the Words of their God. They are able to read and write the Aether language, translate it, and read it. Unfortunately, to learn the Language and become a Spectre, they go through a ritual that deafens them permanently.
(Others later, maybe a total of four)

Past that, I don't know. The idea is, there's a great and ever-expanding dungeon list, you travel to them, and you fight things and solve the dungeon. You earn money and the like to a goal- such as a ship or Airship, to further your travels. Magic is replaced with Words of God and other similar God-power abilities, and Mana is replaced with Favor. Favor increases as you make sacrifices, pray, or wait (as supposedly those people at home are doing things to please the God) and the abilities most-of-the-time drain it. Also, two d20s are rolled every turn, a White Die and a Black Die. If the numbers are low, some abilities can't be used, if they are high, powerful abilities can be used.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

Can I be Ophiuchus?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:47:24 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I've figured out that I'm terrible at running games. 4 games in a row at this point that I've let die about 5-10 turns in at best. I enjoyed running them , so that's not it. Pretty sure this time it went to hell when I decided to run two at once, and noticed things got complicated exponentially somehow. They literally took max 20-30 minutes each to update. Any ideas on how to stop myself doing that? It's like I'm finding myself with awesome ideas, but no artistic skills, horrible linguistic ability, and no time to run them, ignoring the fact that I spend at least 5 times the amount it takes to update them on video games. If anyone wants the gun generator I can probably just post in now. *Sigh.*
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is 20-30min a long time? Because it's been a while since I wrote an update in under 2-3 hours.

If your players liked the games, they were good. If I knew how to boost GM motivation none of my games would have ever died, so there I can't really help.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

Honestly, I don't think the speed of your updating is a problem. It's whether you enjoy doing your updates. Well, unless you take two or so weeks to update once. Then it becomes a problem.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile

Honestly, I don't think the speed of your updating is a problem. It's whether you enjoy doing your updates. Well, unless you take two or so weeks to update once. Then it becomes a problem.
What about god games? One I'm in took about a month to update, but it broke the character limit.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Godhood-likes are more collaborative creative writing than standard games. They are also not RTDs.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Godhood-likes are more collaborative creative writing than standard games. They are also not RTDs.
That is true.
Sig! Onol

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Is 20-30min a long time? Because it's been a while since I wrote an update in under 2-3 hours.

If your players liked the games, they were good. If I knew how to boost GM motivation none of my games would have ever died, so there I can't really help.

Everything DH says is very much true.

In this post.

Also what Tarran said about enjoying the updating, I think that's quite important.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Fairly Fast and Feckin’ Furious
« Reply #6519 on: May 07, 2013, 03:05:32 am »

Blast, now I have inadvertently doubled posted. Apologies. Anyway – disclaimer: I have never seen one of these films, but I have seen a couple of trailers, and I once walked past a poster. Also, despite the title, there’s no priests in thi- oh god that’s an even better idea.

Roll to Fairly Fast and Feckin’ Furious

”Oh feck! They’ve taken out the feckin’ popemobile convoy! Feckin’ feck! We’ve got to feckin’ do… STUFF before the feckin’ bomb… explodes or something!”

”FECK!”

”SHITE!”

”How about we do Mass?”

Character Sheet:
Father: Your Name
Stats: Distribute FIVE points between the below. Each point is a 1/6 chance of a +1.
Shooting a Gun Sideways:
Latin Swearing:
Electronics:
Wearing a Vest:
One Other Skill of Your Choice To Be Validated By The GM:
(I’d suggest Crossing Your Arms; Pouting; Looking Mean; Being Bald)
Bio/Details:

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

YES
YES
YES
Sig! Onol

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile

You forgot a driving skill, which is kind of strange considering the movie you're supposedly inspired by.

Suggestion: Driving While a Badass.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You forgot a driving skill, which is kind of strange considering the movie you're supposedly inspired by.

Driving like Vince Diesel?
Sig! Onol

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

Yeah but then they're priests. I don't think they're legally permitted to learn to drive in most European countries.

Also I'd probably go with Driving While Frowning.

edit: I don't THINK.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:18:34 am by lawastooshort »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

You know, I had an idea for a semi-minimalist RTD. It would be sort of a god game, and mostly goalless, neither of which are very good things (at least for an RTD), but I figured it could work for setting generation.

The Hands That Shape: Universal Manipulation.

You are the shaping forces of the universe, incapable of creation or destruction, but certainly able to manipulate a whole lot of things. Your goal - have fun. Or be constructive. Your choice, really.
Spoiler: In The Beginning (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Players (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Derived Creations (click to show/hide)
Opinions?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:14:10 am by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 433 434 [435] 436 437 ... 661