Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699530 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Been tossing around another RtD idea, this one simple enough to where I think I could run it, but I don't intend to unless someone or many individuals would like to help with the base engine.

Ninjas.

Note, so far all I have is a base idea for an engine. Setting and plot details are lackluster at best.
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
---
The engine I have in mind is sort of tri-fold, in the way weapons and rolls work. Everything is based on a d12, so +2s to stats are equivalent to +1s on a d6. First off, weapons themselves.

Weapons are simple enough in that you have two slots and you can have weapons that take up these slots so long as you don't reach 3. Each weapon and weapon combo has special attacks that can change up combat in your favor, for instance:
Taking a Shuriken set and a Katana is a common and viable option. You can use specials such as Curve Shot (guaranteed to hit, single shuriken), Half-Drawn Counter (A guaranteed counter, where most rolls result in a pommel strike and higher ones net you a slash), and Entrapment (Shuriken+Katana attack, a miss is more common and the desired effect- missing with your shuriken nets you a powerful slash.) Taking, say a 2-Handed Sword, you have access to things such as Wide Guard (only high rolls deal any damage if used), but can't use Shuriken specials. Special Techniques follow your character, you can store up to four. Changing equipment can really mess you up if you've been using shuriken and suddenly you're wielding a spear.

This is where I need some help- the list of possible weapons is complete, however, I'd like different "houses" each with their own groups of specials- each House should have three common (found in other styles, anyone could feasibly use) specials for each weapon, two signature (No other House will have this ability, so these are much looser on restrictions- if your house is based on a wolf, you can have something wolf-related in the attack) specials, then two common combos (for the shuriken and katana, for example), and one signature combo for each setup. I'm not going to say every House has to have signatures for every weapon, but a note should be made of it and it should be consistent- if you don't include shuriken anywhere in your single signatures, don't use them in your combo signature.

The list of weapons is:
Melee
Katana (1s)
Wakizashi (1s)
Dagger (1s)
Two-Handed Sword (2s)
Spear (2s)
Thrown or Ranged
Shuriken (1s)
Short Spear (1s)
Bow (2s)

---
Secondly, all Ninja have affinities for one of a large number of elements, as well as a detriment. These determine the kinds of Spirit techniques they can use (below). You get +1s to your affinity element rolls and you can improve techniques of that element, you get a -3 to your detriment element (You shouldn't be using it anyway) and a -2 to defending against it (You get a +2 to resisting your own element.) The 8 elements are:
Fire
Metal
Earth
Water
Air
Dark
Light

Chakra

Most of them are pretty self-explanatory, there are a few oddball elements, and some might not work the way you'd expect.
Firstly, Ink is interesting in that you call upon the specials not through the normal means of hand signs (because I couldn't think of anything better than what Naruto had- no, that's not the main inspiration, it's actually a bunch of indie games) but through brush on paper. Sand is equally interesting in that certain attacks with it are less sand and more glass, and Chakra is an oddball because it's basically pure energy. Think of it as magic missile substance.

How do you attack with these elements? You give them forms, the area I need the most help with. For instance, one form is Imprison- with the Metal Imprison, you can have things like chains wrapping around an enemy, or even metal bars constricting them, with Dark Imprison, you can trap them in a ball of light-eating void, rendering them blind and unable to tell what's going on, robbing them of their senses, and with Chakra Imprison, you create a wall around the opponent that saps their energy if they try to move through it.

I need a huge list of possible forms, anywhere from a d50 to a d100's worth. Not all elements would work with all forms easily, and that's OK, so long as they work with at least 4. say, a Laser or Beam, Metal wouldn't play nice with that, and so wouldn't be able to be a laser form. Each form needs to be at least slightly different- say a Hadouken-esque Chakra Ball and a frisbee-throw like Chakra Disk- both hit a single enemy, both focus damage on that one enemy, both are launched. What's the difference? The Chakra Ball does splash damage if blocked, the Chakra Disk can't be blocked. Even differences that small are completely fine. Try not to be too outlandish- say you've got an unblockable, guaranteed-to-hit attack- it would be nearly worthless for damage, possibly, or would have an incredibly low chance to hit. There should be forms to heal, buff, debuff, and do things other than just outright attack.

Houses have no bearing on this.
---

Lastly, there's Joint Attacks. If two team members attack the same target and get the same roll, even if that result is double ones, it is a smashing success. Say one teammate used Metal Disk and got a one, then one teammate attacking the same target used a regular attack. They would pair up, and both would succeed- the Metal Disk would slam into the opponent, breaking their guard, opening the way for the other teammate to attack.

As far as stats go, each character has three gauges.
Blood, which is a general indication of HP. It does not matter in most cases as a separate injury system is used (from light bruising to chopped off) however blood loss can and will kill you. Injuries carry penalties to this number per turn. Everyone has a set amount, probably 20 or so. This does not change.

Next is Stamina. Using weapon abilities reduces Stamina, you get one point per turn. You've got a total of 10 points. Techniques can cost anywehre from 2-7 points.
Last, there's Spirit. Using elemental attacks reduces Spirit. You don't get one point a turn. 15 points here. Techniques here cost anywhere from 1 to 3 points, most of the time it's 2.

This area needs a little more fleshing out, I might switch out Spirit for a cooldown system.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Sounds like a lot of work.  :P
I'd be willing to help a bit. So, Forms, you just basically need a list of words that you can come up with the exact technique/whatever from based on which element they're added to? No, I guess, reading into it further makes me think you need at least a brief description.
Spoiler: How's This? (click to show/hide)

Also, while I'm already thinking up an idea for a house, I need a brief description of each weapon first. Even if I know what a weapon is like (shuriken), I don't know what many of them are like (Waki...zish...ashi?). And some were not used like how the general public assumed (shuriken, often thought of as "throwing stars", could be used to disarm an opponent and held between his neck and shoulder, be much more effective at threatening to bleed the opponent then today's modern knife. TV thinks it's just used to pin people's clothes to the wall, which I DON'T actually think can be done. Blame the Mythbusters for my knowledge on that one weapon).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:30:36 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

I'm rather disappointed that you would include a spear as a ninja weapon and nothing blunt, like a hammer or a club. But that might be my love for blunt weaponry speaking in that case. Also, you need axes. Those are great utility weapons.

Also, forms.

Spoiler: Form Suggestions (click to show/hide)

Also, can forms be used outside of combat for utility purposes? After all, being a ninja is all about spying and stuff.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Sounds like a lot of work.  :P
I'd be willing to help a bit. So, Forms, you just basically need a list of words that you can come up with the exact technique/whatever from based on which element they're added to? No, I guess, reading into it further makes me think you need at least a brief description.
Spoiler: How's This? (click to show/hide)

Also, while I'm already thinking up an idea for a house, I need a brief description of each weapon first. Even if I know what a weapon is like (shuriken), I don't know what many of them are like (Waki...zish...ashi?). And some were not used like how the general public assumed (shuriken, often thought of as "throwing stars", could be used to disarm an opponent and held between his neck and shoulder, be much more effective at threatening to bleed the opponent then today's modern knife. TV thinks it's just used to pin people's clothes to the wall, which I DON'T actually think can be done. Blame the Mythbusters for my knowledge on that one weapon).

Wakizashi are like, knife-size katana with a squared tip rather than a stabbing edge. I think some actually would have a stabby-stabby edge. I can see replacing Dagger with a blunt weapon, though. In fact, yeah. Dagger is now, err, axe? Not totally sure, but dagger is redundant.

I was originally going to have hand axes and staves, but I wanted to keep weapon lists short as the system puts emphasis on them. Spear is now Staff. Combat is pretty much the only time you'll see effects, but note that healing can be a thing at any time.

Forms should be kept somewhat simple, and fall into one of three areas- buff/debuff, attack, and healing/recovery.
For instance, Clone would be considered a buff- the opponent has a very low chance of hitting the real you and if they're using single-target attacks they're royally fucked until it wears off. With different elements-
Fire clones combust if hit and deal a small amount of damage to whoever attacked them. Small number (d8)
Metal clones, if attacked, allow a counterattack from the real one. Very small number (d4)
Earth clones crumble into dust when hit, -1 rolls to the next enemy attack. d8.
Water clones splash all over the place when hit, +1 to any water techniques next turn. d8.
Air clones burst into a small amount of smoke. Very large number (d20)
Dark clones burst into ink, having a coinflip chance to blind all nearby for one turn. d8.
Light clones become a bright flash, coinflip for blind all nearby for a turn. d8.
Chakra clones sap energy from the enemy, reducing their Spirit gauge by one point when hit. d6.

You have to get a 1 to hit the real person when a clone technique is used, they last for two turns. Hitting the real person dispels all clones without using their effects.

---

Forms should be pretty simple, only becoming complicated when applied to elements. Clone, for instance, creates a number of fake copies of the user equal to whatever dice used -1. Elemet determines how each clone is special and the die based on power. Sweep and Barrier are good, Pillar works, Draw could be a buff to other spells (as the techniques automatically do this, however, if you use a water technique after drawing some water from the air, it would be better). Annoyance works as Rain, Body would be incorporation. I'm going to try and get a Google Docs up at some point, no mater how godawfully huge the table would need to be.

---

Weapons List is now:
Katana (1s)
Wakizashi (1s)
Axe (1s)
Two-Handed Sword (2s)
Staff (2s)
Shuriken (1s)
Bow (2s)

Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

I did some math on Houses, and made a form!

Setups: Any 2 1s or 1 2s.
2s's: Two-handed sword, Staff, Bow.
1s: Katana, Wakizashi (Dagger), Axe, Shuriken.
(4+3+2+1)+3 = 13

3 common for all (3*7=21)
2 signature for ~4 sig weaps (2*4=8)
2 common combos for all setups (13*2=26)
1 signature combos for ~4-10 (7?) sig setups (7*1=7)

21+8+26+7 = ~62 specials per house on average, ignoring overlap of common specials, assuming two handed weapons combo with themselves.

Spoiler: House Application Form (click to show/hide)
If there's a question mark inside the ":", then the spot is optional, to a degree. Remove either the whole line or just the question mark when filling in the form for making a house.
Furthermore, you will find duplicates: Under Katana, for example is a "Combo W/ Axe 1". And under Axe is a "Combo W/ Katana 1". While the duplication is unnecessary, and you may remove either one (Not both, though), they are there for ease of location, and filling out both (With the same information) will aid anyone reading this.
Additionally: the "Axe Combo with Axe", etc. combos are NOT typos. They are for when you use two of the same weapon. Fill them out as normal.
Finally: There are enough Signature Combo spots for if all weapons were used for signature specials. You'll probably remove a lot of them.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was going to post an RTD thing... but I got too distracted by the above posts of math and ninjas.

ROLL TO SLICE HONORLESS VILLAINS AT TRIGONOMETRICALLY CALCULATED ANGLES

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile

I was going to post an RTD thing... but I got too distracted by the above posts of math and ninjas.

I'd play that. Do we get to use calculus to figure out the velocity to give the sword?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd play that. Do we get to use calculus to figure out the velocity to give the sword?

"When I'm finished with you, you'll have THREE derivatives!"

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile

"Prepare for my ultimate technique, passed down the Hellbinder line for GENERATIONS! INFINITY ART: GRAHAMS NUMBER!"
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Sooo tempting... but it would drive me mad to either run OR play.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile

So you'd make me a jerk? Or is that the 4th derivative of movement?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Still working on the table, I'll probably release it in a base form at some point for people to use freely.

---

Meanwhile, more ideas. Fuel for these ideas are much too numerous to even begin to go into, however I am listening to tracks from Hotline Miami.

The idea here is simple crew-management and equipping your squad. There are initially three types of units to choose from:
Soldiers. Soldiers take up the least space on your landers. They can't carry much in the way of weapons, only able to handle a main, secondary, and item. They can't take much damage. They are the easiest to customize, and offer the most versatility in doing so. Soldiers are cheap, come in good number, and take to upgrades well.

Hardsuits. Hardsuits offer more HP, weapons, abilities, equipment slots, and they take up more space.

Lastly, Mecha. Mecha are huge. Mecha are badass and have all the weapons, abilities, and equipment, as well as all the HP.

---
The way the system works is every unit has slots that can be filled with weapons, and every unit takes damage from different weapons in different ways. Take a Soldier with a light machinegun, for instance. They'd be good at killing other soldiers, they could do some damage to a hardsuit, but they'd be ineffectual against mecha (Ballistic Rounds). Give the same soldier a pulse rifle, and they're laughably bad against other soldiers, but can deal some damage to mecha and absolutely shut down hardsuits (pulse rounds), and if that soldier had a laser rifle or rocket launcher, they'd be able to stop Mecha easier than anything else.

This allows you to give each unit weapons to counter other types of units. Soldiers are cheap and offer quick counters, but they will almost always have targets they can't easily kill. Hardsuits will be very versatile, able to use two weapons, but still will lack in one department, and Mecha can either be very balanced or insanely specified.

Next is Subweapon, which is like a knife or grenade. They generally give some form of boost, such as grenades being able to stun enemies (Flashbangs, EMPs).

Last is Item, which are things like medpacks.
Soldiers get one weapon, one subweapon, and one item.
Hardsuits get two weapons, one subweapon, and one item.
Mecha get three weapons, two subweapons and no items.
---
The plot would revolve around a black-market hub in the desert, in a war-torn area. You back one side of the war machine that's currently losing, you aim to change that.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

Each mission revolves around your units fighting, however, you start in waves. The enemy may or may not have waves, you will have to send your units out based on how much space each wave allows- helicopters may only be able to have one crew-space, but you may also wind up with a Flying Fortress (Imagine an aircraft carrier, but as an aircraft) that has 12 crew space.

Crew space works as follows:
Four soldiers make one crew space.
Two hardsuits = one crew space.
One mecha fills one crew space.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness

Sorry, my mind broke at Aircraft Aircraft Carrier.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Sorry, my mind broke at Aircraft Aircraft Carrier.
Airborne Aircraft carrier.

Airships. :D
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 661