Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699533 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7410 on: December 03, 2013, 06:34:42 pm »

Looks neat and easy to run.

I'm curious how well/poorly trying to move out of the way would work, though. With maneuverability limited like that, trying to wriggle free once someone had hit you once might be more an issue of hoping they guess you were oriented the wrong way than anything.

More, it's so faster (smaller) ships become a lot harder to kill than say really slow ones (some 5-tiles don't even move.) The enemy would have to guess at position, as well as how far it moved, and if it turned- a move of 4 gives you a pretty large possible move cloud.

---

I'm also going to do a quick dump of possible settings. I intend to at least build one of these into a D&D module, one day.

1. Ikebukuro 2016
A large city where those with excess live in it, upon the backs of those without. It's not a BAD city, but it's definitely a materialistic one.

Characters are offered class titles based on stats. I could choose a Silent Courier, for instance. Silent gives me better stealth, stealth with armor, and a silent weapon- a small Recurve Bow. Couriers gain motorcycles, light hidden armor, storage for just about anything, and a very light firearm (let's say the MAC 11.)

The story mostly involves you just trying to make a living, and for various reasons it's not a legal one. Most actions are on a 3d6, however, advantages also come into play.

Lets say, as a Silent Courier, I'm sent to steal suitcases full of cash from an enemy that we learned was transferring funds. While tracking the armored vehicle, I don't get any advantage: I'm on a motorcycle, but I also know how to be stealthy and not attract attention.

I know the area it stops, it dosen't know that I know it's general area. I park in a nearby empty lot and climb atop a building to survey the area- finding the alley they're in, and scouting them for whatever info I can. I know about the enemy now, and get a minor advantage- +1 on all rolls.

Now, I climb down. I know a fairly good place to attack from, and take out the single guard from the shadows with my bow. Taking his gun, I do my best to blend in.

I'm not at disadvantage to blend in, but if a firefight breaks out, I don't know much about the gun in hand and would get a double minor disadvantage: -2. This is basically -1, with the previous scouting.

I walk over to a good place to start the action, near the suitcases, and fire at the people transferring the cash. They were caught off guard, which was a minor advantage- offsetting the -1, meaning that a regular roll took place.

The uninjured ones scatter and return fire, enough for me to back off to the other side of the van. The driver is spooked by the gunfire, but hasn't put the van in gear.

I drop the gun and switch to my MAC 11. With a gun I'm used to plus the other bonus, I now have +2 to combat rolls. Stealthing around to the side with other enemies, I shoot one without him expecting it on a +3, the highest minor bonus.
Now, on a high-roll high, I run for the suitcases and grab two. Unable to fire, I run around the side of the building twoards my motorcycle- my stealth roll didn't go so well and they know where I am, but by then I'm gunning the engine and skidding away.

Suddenly, I'm in a chase. The van driver is on to me, but everyone else was left in the dust. His large, slower-to-accelerate vehicle is at a major disadvantage to my well-tuned motorcycle, granting me not a +3, but an extra d6, meaning I'm making 4d6 rolls to his 3d6.

---

Basically, a 3d6 engine with Minor, Double Minor, Triple Minor, Major, and Ultimax bonuses. +1, +2, +3, +1 die, and +2 die/reroll lowest.

Minor and major bonuses may stack in certain conditions.

----------

The second, "I want to D&Dify this", is a dungeon based around a fallen Dwarf Fort. Many floors, many traps, much fun to be had.

I've sorta kinda plotted the first floor, which has a bunch of kobolds living there, having stolen/put to use everything from the abandoned workshops. A few plump helmets still grow in a farm plot, there's a lever room that controls the exit to the first floor, quarantine doors on the migrant dorms, and one that floods the room with about waist-high water from a pool above-ground (originally had more water, would have drowned you, but as it is serves as more of an inconvenience, and a chance to douse torches (You don't need them yet anyway).

There are two entrances, one that's a broken stone floodgate you can force open with enough of a push (rolling a 1 perma-jams it, rolling a 20 blasts it free of it's hinges, and lets players take the floodgate. No real reason for that, except for dwarfy-minded goodness.)

The other one is the wagon-size entrance, and entering this way activates some rusted cage traps. There's a low chance you'll be caged, and other members can free you if you are, and they don't damage you. If anyone gets caught, the Kobolds in the adjacent room rush in, meaning it's sort of a crapshoot if you'll get freed first or later. You're still able to attack, but enemies have a much easier time hitting you.

This is meant to be a looong dungeon. You start at level one, and by the end, you're fighting a lesser demon king IN HELL.
Some floors have wandering Forgotten Beasts. Cage traps start giving way to complicated, deadly traps, which give way to MAGIC death traps, and finally, holes to the magma sea.

Examples would be the first floor cage traps, then later on a pressure plate activating spike traps behind the person who triggered it, then drowning rooms and cave-in traps, then minecart assault hallways, then minecarts with an invisibility gem so you don't see them coming, false floors above magma, a necromancer or four...

I'm pretty sure that DF players could make a kickass module. Stats for hostile entities is the kind of thing I'm sure someone's got data for, I mean, who dosen't want giant badgers in their game?
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7411 on: December 03, 2013, 07:06:43 pm »

Oh, wow, another one just came to me.

Characters use the same stats and fight each other in an arena. The catch? Players are allowed to make posts detailing what they do, but it's all up to the music.

For instance.

This.

This is a mostly "power" song, as it's got few low areas and more energetic, powerful tones. A character fighting while listening to this music will deal large amounts of damage, but not defend all that well- except for times when the music is "charging", those sections of low to high buildup.

Time, in the arena, is the same as time in everyone's song. If ten seconds pass, then the current player stats are influenced by 0:10 on that player's song.

A player may switch songs ONLY if more than half the song has played, or by spending a Jukebox Token (kill player, get token).

A simpler song...
leads to having higher Defense, as the beginning of this song is simple, orderly, and not "powerful".
This changes around 2:00, where a buildup starts, and then you become somewhat more offensive. You don't reach extreme offense, but you've got a second stage as it were.

I'm tempted to do a sort of sliding scale where the average stat is 5. For the first part of the above song, you'd probably range 3 Atk, 7 Def, and for the later part, jump to 5 Atk, 5 Def. The later part might just be enough to push 6 Atk, 4 Def.

Players will also be able to choose a special ability based on songs, or "purchase" one-use items for Jukebox Tokens.
A slow song might allow you to double or triple the amount of time a turn takes.
Items are different in that they are one-use and not tied to a particular song- one might cause a status effect on an enemy, such as "Buffering", that temporarily stops their song (and drops them to 1/1, as without a song, you have no power.)
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7412 on: December 03, 2013, 09:40:36 pm »

I WANNA PLAY THAT JUKEBOX ARENA GAME!
Each player picks a different song, right?

Edit: Also, very poorly roughed out idea, check the image in the spoiler. It's bad, and based on The conversation started at this point, roughly.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit 2: Oh, someone else already had dibs on this idea. Oops.
Well, he was going to have there be consequences to removing body parts. I was just going to have it be, if you could remove it, go ahead, you're all mad geniuses anyways.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:47:42 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: December 03, 2013, 10:36:29 pm »

Yes, and repeatedly. You get a token whenever you kill (Kill? Hmmm... Probably a better way to put that, but I'm not musically thinking atm) or whenever you completely finish a song (rather than switching after the halfway point).

I'm sort of dicking about with the tech trees on that previous "You're the humans, fight aliens, alien machines, and alien zombie virus creatures, while they also fight each other, because clusterfuck!" I could either go with specific interactions, all same-level techs interact somehow, some same-level techs interact, techs interact with all the levels on the other groups directly below it (Human 4 would create a technology with Alien 3, for instance, but not 2 or 1, or 4, Alien 5 would interact with Human 4.)
or others...

Though, infectious is a bit of a wildcard. I may remove their "tech tree" per se and add studying them giving you new genetic mods or something. Possibly to the point that Infectious dosen't do a lot of interactions with the other trees... I wonder if I should allow the mutations to be made available to the player, such as a Hulking infector allow players to gain great strength, or if that's much too ethically black to allow even for a black-ops unit.

I could have a seperate Genetics tree that's advanced heavily with infected samples...

---

On the jukebox game, if I can find a way to get comfortable with how stats work so that people won't have glass cannons vs turtles as the only possible outcome then I'll run it.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7414 on: December 03, 2013, 10:37:52 pm »

kill
Stop? Rewind? End? Turn off? You could use "beat" for a musical pun, but that might be better saved for something else (actions? Turns?).

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7415 on: December 03, 2013, 10:41:01 pm »

You could say "burn"
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7416 on: December 04, 2013, 03:28:48 am »

Seeing Fniff's new rtd makes me want a game about a bunch of talented people who use their skills in concert to perform heists and whatnot in the early 20th century. Inspirations would be Spirit of the Century and some sort of 1920's versions of Leverage, Ocean's Eleven, etc.

Players would all have a few skills they are rather good at (I'm thinking it might be most practical to just rip off Spirit of the Century's skill list) and to which they receive a bonus to the roll. (Or maybe they would get to roll it twice and keep the better result?) The amount of skills each character has shouldn't be so much that people overlap and you can just replace any character with another, but players shouldn't be so hyper-specialized that they're only useful in very specific circumstances, so some balancing would be needed. And maybe players should have some other special properties besides skills, like equipment or special ways of doing things, but I don't know what to do about that and won't worry about it myself for now.

Now I'm thinking the rtd could be done as some sort of troupe game, where there are multiple characters in the game but only a few of them are being played at a time mostly because only a couple are needed for the specific job going on. The only problem is how you decide who gets assigned to what mission. If possible, I think it would be cool if the mission planner was a player character, and maybe there wouldn't be one specific mission planner character, but for each job a specific character gets assigned to run that mission (I suppose that person could just be assigned randomly, people could run missions that are important to their character somehow, or maybe we could come up with some convoluted system to assign mission managers). It would also be good if the rules for organizing a mission stipulated that you need to take on one or more rookies (a.k.a. players who haven't gotten to take part in a mission yet) and there was forced vacation time for those who have run so many missions in a row (just so that we don't have the same couple of people partaking in every mission).

And if this sort of thing takes off, we could have several GMs all running missions on different threads from the same character pool, which would be rather cool. And I suppose the game wouldn't necessarily have to take place in the 1920's as I originally envisioned; any setting will do, so long as we have a team-based mission/heist game that plays off of character's skills.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7417 on: December 04, 2013, 02:53:15 pm »

I kinda built a 3d6 stats system.

You do pretty much the exact same thing as in DnD, roll 3d6 six times then place the values however you want amongst Strength, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Dexterity, and Charisma. The other stats are as follows:

Core Armor: This isn't exactly armor, it's more of a battle rank, how hard it is to hit you. (CON + DEX)/2 + STR/2.
Mana: Useful for spellcasters, who now use a mana pool. Spells vary in mana burn. (INT + WIS)/2 + CHA/2.
Weight Tolerance: You'll be able to carry this much in weight comfortably, before encumberance: (STR + CON)/2 + DEX/2
Reflex: Sometimes, enemies or other things try to damage you when you least expect it. (WIS + DEX)/2 + INT/2
Social: Be the life of the party. Get people to do what you want. Be good with words. (2(CHA) + WIS)/2
Health: Not exactly sure I like the calculation for this, but I don't want Con + Str, nor Con + Dex...
(2(CON)+ 2d6)/2. The 2d6 becomes a constant after rolling, and therefore, does not fluctuate. I might add a +5...

So, I might use this for a dungeon run, that I'll likely call Dwarven Depths, based on the "what if DF invaded D&D, with magma cannons and *elephant roast* for all?".

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: December 04, 2013, 07:22:38 pm »

I don't really post much in this thread but I just wanted to say that I'm thinking of starting something similar to MM. I really like the idea of the game and I enjoyed the concept of starting off with nothing and becoming progressively stronger while travelling through different worlds. I'm actually motivated with this RTD and I won't flake out on it like the other two. Also I won't have to use a Kindle to update turns so actually running the game will be easier. Thoughts, ideas, advice?
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7419 on: December 07, 2013, 04:45:23 pm »

Oh, someone else already had dibs on this idea. Oops.
Well, he was going to have there be consequences to removing body parts. I was just going to have it be, if you could remove it, go ahead, you're all mad geniuses anyways.
In case you didn't see I'm fine with you working on it. By consequences, I meant fun things like the result of SOUL STEAL being that you now have a soulless, likely undead creature trying to kill you. Or you could just make stealing meta concepts and things that don't exist on the physical plane require a 10 on a d6 or something.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #7420 on: December 07, 2013, 05:40:07 pm »

Thoughts, ideas, advice?

You should do it, I'm sure people will want to join if it looks good; use a simple system; limit the number of players you have.

Those last two with the no-more-kindle-typing thing will help with the workload and motivation... But that's just me.

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: December 07, 2013, 05:48:15 pm »

Thoughts, ideas, advice?

You should do it, I'm sure people will want to join if it looks good; use a simple system; limit the number of players you have.

Those last two with the no-more-kindle-typing thing will help with the workload and motivation... But that's just me.
Allright, I started it and have pumped out two turns. Its call Interdimensional Insanity. Any thoughts on it from the players and observers?
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: December 07, 2013, 08:56:46 pm »

I've got one hell of a bastard child in my head, so hold on. It's going to be a brutal ride.

What happens if you take the Wipeout series, Hydro Thunder (as well as Hurricane), player customization, and the idea of amphibious racing (seriously though, why is hovercraft racing not a thing)

As a player, you'll be making a craft involving these parts. All players start with basic parts from a number of the companies offering, and can later buy parts from any company selling with their winnings. Parts have a Class rating, whatever the highest class rating is among your parts is the class you'll be racing in.

Engine Model: Gives Speed and Thrust, can affect any stat, rarest Shield
Engine Configuration: Changes Speed/Handling ratio, some configurations are special
Stabilizing Surfaces: Affects Handling the most, can affect any stat, most rarely Thrust
Braking Systems: Affects handling, gives airbrake stat.
Weapons Control: Affects weaponry, what can be used and what can't, absorption ratios, lock distance, everything weapons related
Chassis: Heavily affects stats in general, used in determining overall shield, special slots, a "base" craft
Hull: Applies more general stats, used mostly to modify Chassis. Also used in shield.
Livery: Doesn't affect stats. Color, graphics, etc. for your craft.

Stats are Thrust, Speed, Handling, Shield, Airbrake(kinda special, as below), Firepower (Also special, because it's not a number), and Style (Also not used in races, almost completely flavor)

Thrust determines how fast you are at going fast. Low thrust means it will take time to reach your maximum speed, high thrust means you can hit maximum speed very quickly.

Speed determines how fast you are when you're going fast. Low speed means you're unable to keep up, high speed means you'll be able to reach a blistering pace.

Handling is how well you can turn, especially when going fast. Low handling means you'll need to brake harder around turns, high handling means you can go through tighter, more technical track sections easily.

Shield is a number determining how many hits you can take before never going fast again. Weapons will detract from this, unless you're the one holding it, and you absorb it instead of using it. Shield also factors into absorption.

Airbrake determines what turns you're the best at going fast around and which you're not good at. Airbrakes may be good at most kinds of turns, or excel at some- some may be the best on extreme hairpin turns, but are too touchy when on a normal turn, while others are good everywhere but not good enough to match specialized brakes. Some brakes are better on land, some on water, and some equally on either. Airbrake directly modifies rolls to go around turns, as WELL as what speed you'll be exiting a turn at.

Firepower isn't a number, it's what you'll be given to make everyone else stop going fast. It can include weapon types in general or specific weapons, and anything listed are things you'll be able to pick up. Weapon absorbing is also under this.

Style is a randomized bonus that changes every time you apply a new livery. Style is not shown, but is hinted at to anyone finishing in the top three based on crowd reaction and commentary from the announcers. A low-style winner will result in a shocked crowd rather than one giving uproarious cheers, and get comments such as an "unexpected" win rather than one from a "crowd favorite". All players cannot have high style, instead, there are "places" that any two players may inhabit at the same time: Ultimate, High, Well Known, Average, and Unpopular.

What does the style bonus apply to? Money. Low style winners don't lose money from having low style, however, high style increases winnings.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: December 08, 2013, 06:20:19 pm »

Okay, so. Had an idea, needs fleshing out. In essence: Cyberpunk Crackdown with a touch of X-Men.

You play as a superpowered mutant in the cyberpunk of 2184. The environment has gone to shit, multiple world (and nuclear) wars have occurred, and humanity has retreated to megacities powered by fusion reactors. Unfortunately, due to stark differences between the poor and the rich, the crime rate has gone through the roof. You have been recruited by the police force to form a special unit to fight the criminal menace. Try to survive in this cyberpunk hellhole future.

Players get random superpowers at the start, which they can upgrade. I'm using a superpowers website that includes stuff like Omniscience and reality manipulation, so I think having a leveling ability for superpowers would make sense (You can get omniscience, but for now you have clairvoyance). Players get points they can spend on both equipment and more powers. If they spend more then one point on a power, then they can get two options for superpowers.

However, I have a few things I'm not sure of. One, how should the game play: freeroaming or mission-based? Two, would it be good to have a "criminals" faction so there is a superpowered "Cops VS Robbers" thing going on (Since I played in an RTD like that and it was great fun)? Three, what city should the setting be? I was thinking Paris or Birmingham initially, since I didn't want to go with the sort of city that would be expected for the genre like New York or Detroit. Paris could be fun since there's catacombs, but who knows.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: December 10, 2013, 10:03:18 pm »

My vote is always for freeroam + missions. I.E: Here are some rails, here are some other rails, here is a pasture. Have fun.

Anyway, put a little bit of work into your random item generator to make it automated. Thought I'd share some of the results that I asked my program to save.

-This is a/n Spear wrought from Living Wood. It has a greater reverence aspect and a lesser canine aspect. It is runed and seems to be growing. It is of above-average quality.

-This is a/n Knife wrought from Reanimated Flesh. It has a greater icy aspect and a lesser faithful aspect. It is infected and seems to be rotting. It is of exceptional quality.

-This is a/n Throwing Disc wrought from Living Wood. It has a greater laughing aspect and a lesser saurian aspect. It is sentient and seems to be carved. It is of good quality.

-This is a/n Warhammer wrought from Paper. It has a greater laughing aspect and a lesser peaceful aspect. It is large and seems to be ceremonial. It is of terrible quality.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:17:19 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 661