Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702509 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7515 on: December 26, 2013, 03:14:25 pm »

And you finally updated the tests list with mine, I notice. Very kind of you.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7516 on: December 26, 2013, 04:32:58 pm »

The companies list their bikes in order: built for speed, built for control, and built for combat.

shARD: Known perfectionists, shARD are known for pushing a bike's capabilities to its limit.
Spoiler: Mako S (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hammerhead (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Great White (click to show/hide)
Volk: This company is known for their aggression on and off the track.
Spoiler: SV Squall (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: SA Arctic Storm (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: SF Blizzard (click to show/hide)
Eagle Eins: Originally contracted for military vehicle design, now builds bikes suitable for the dangers of BATTLE BIKES.
Spoiler: Peregrine (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vulture (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Killer Hawk (click to show/hide)
Davis Motors: Makes stylized bikes for a civilian market. Remarkably balanced.
Spoiler: Shooting Star (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Comet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Asteroid (click to show/hide)
Kunai: A Japanese company known for innovations in design.
Spoiler: Shuriken (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wakizashi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Katana (click to show/hide)
Lucha Tigre: Inconsistent design dosen't always mean bad design, though the company isn't very uniform in what it wants to achieve.
Spoiler:  El Tiburon (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Halcón ON&ON (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tigron (click to show/hide)

Top Speed reflects the maximum number of points you can score per track section.
Acceleration adds half it's value to your speed every successful track section- or, a player may choose to slow for a difficult section of track (-X to acceleration, allowed to be negative, for +X to control)
Control determines roughly what difficulty rating of track you can tackle easily, it adds half its value to control rolls (d6).
Agility determines how easy it is for you to get on shortcuts, they add straight to a d10 to see if you are able to take a shortcut. Note that some shortcuts are more difficult but offer other advantages, and are optional.
Armor is the primary stat for getting hit by weapons, half of its value subtracts from a weapon's damage, damage reduces Armor unless otherwise specified.
Firepower determines what weapons you'll be able to pick up, and how often it happens.

---

Later on, Prototype bikes will be unlocked, which bring new elements to the game, such as adding to a stat when something happens, or passive abilities.

---

I'm seriously considering starting this now.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7517 on: December 26, 2013, 06:27:07 pm »

The combat bike idea sounds really interesting.
Alright, I'l try making a system for my army men idea, since I might as well try. Shouldn't be too complicated.

Armor
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Weapons

Reinforcements

That should be everything necesary, at least. If it lacks anything just let me know.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 07:49:26 pm by darkpaladin109 »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7518 on: December 26, 2013, 08:45:15 pm »

Are these supposed to be toy army men? If so, for one thing, you're missing bazookas, machine guns, mortars, and flamethrowers, as far as weapons go. Also, your system ignores such classic characters as radio dude, the guy with just a pistol and binoculars, and minesweeper guy.

Also, I feel army men make more sense as a class-based thing, based on the various poses the army men come in. This page shows a set of what I believe are the most common types (or at least it pretty much matches the set I have). If you don't care for that assortment, there are other types listed.

The important thing is you think of the toys themselves and what they could reasonable do while you're playing with them. So I think the guy who has his rifle in the air and is stabbing with his bayonet may not be able to shoot or should be rather bad at it, but he's good at charging in and doing a lot of damage in close range combat. And the crawling dude may be likewise impaired in his shooting ability, but he'd be really good at sneaking. Conversly, the guy with the machine gun would be really good at shooting dudes, but he would have very limited movement and poor defense against anyone engaging him in close-quarters combat.

Basically, you just need to look at the toys and think a little bit about sort of abilities and handicaps they might have in their situation. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you're even invoking the idea of toy soldiers instead of just making it a game about dudes in some fictional military.

Edit: And don't be afraid to get creative and make things up. For example, look at the minesweeper guy. Though an important job in real life, he seems kinda boring from a kid's perspective. So maybe he can find not just mines, but sneaking enemy units and buried treasure. Or maybe his minesweeper isn't a detecting device, but actually some sort of miniature earthquake generator! And of course the radio guy can potentially call in airstrikes every once in a while and, assuming it's charged up at the time, tell HQ where to point the killsat.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 09:05:39 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7519 on: December 26, 2013, 09:49:59 pm »

I'm going to start the BATTLE BIKeS game tomorrow, so be on the watch for that. I guess if you post here before I get it going tomorrow I'll count you as in, so there's that.

There's also the idea of a second, completely unrelated game I'm going to try and run, loosely based on the Pick of Destiny where you roll to become insanely powerful rock gods using relics from various dark powers. Your guitar may be made of the flesh of some Lovecraftian horror, or maybe you're wearing Satan's fang around your neck. This imbues you with the power of a demigod.

A demigod of rock.

Most actions are just a d6, and four groups of four players attempt to get the highest rolls in a set number of turns. They also have to choose how many turns they'll spend on each song: 4 turns being the average song length. After that, the crowd may lose focus, before that, and they may be left confused.

Actions will also play out in that extra points are given for performance: doing too many insane things detracts from the song, but doing one extreme thing will really boost your score. The limits are off- feel free to sing so well the microphone explodes, have impossible guitar solos, have a drumkit that becomes a huge mecha and torches half the stage, a bass guitar literally made from an axe that you use to destroy stuff on stage.

1- Your action fails horribly. An epic battle cry becomes an ear-wrenching wail, and your awesome theatrics aren't really awesome.
2- Your action fails, but recoverably. You fall off beat for a while, or some equipment fails.
3- Your action is passable, but not epic: You did pretty OK. It's not enough to really wow the crowd.
4- Your action is pretty good. You didn't make any heads explode or anything really awesome, but the music is good.
5- Your action is epic. Channeling your god-powers, awesome shit happens.
6- Your action is too epic. Heads explode, people panic. Unless you're in Iceland...

Getting the same roll twice in a row amplifies it's effect. Your total score is cumulative, however, doubling and tripling have these effects:

1,1: Nothing you do can salvage the experience, and the crowd thinks of you with disdain. +6 to all other bands!
1,1,1: You are booed off the stage. Automatic last place.
2,2: The crowd thinks of you as amateurish. +3 to all other bands!
2,2,2: You leave a lackluster impression. another +1 to all other bands.
3,3: You play consistently, giving you a +1 on your next roll, if it's a 6 or 7, no ill effects come about.
3,3,3: You gain protection from all ill effects for the rest of the concert.
4,4: The crowd really gets into the performance. +3 to end performance.
4,4,4: Tack on an extra +1, the crowd can't get enough.
5,5: Your show is insane, and will be talked about for years. +6 to end performance.
5,5,5: Your show is godlike and will be revered as a cultural phenomenon. Automatically place first.
6,6: Your mad god powers go berserk, and you destroy the venue around you. Of course you don't stop playing, but -2 to the next 3 shows end performance!
6,6,6: You accidentally summon your patron deity and probably destroy like half of the earth. The game restarts if this happens.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7520 on: December 26, 2013, 10:21:31 pm »

In with the SF Blizzard.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7521 on: December 27, 2013, 12:13:24 am »

And you finally updated the tests list with mine, I notice. Very kind of you.

You, and many, many others. I was not very attentive to that thread. Can't promise that will change.

I feel something stirring in me chest. This feeling... it is not unlike terror.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7522 on: December 27, 2013, 05:51:48 am »

-snip-
Fair enough. I'l keep the old one in case anyone wants to use it, I guess. I'l try making a more class based system, then. That demigod of rock idea sounds fun. Will players team up to make a band, or will each player be in a band with NPC's?
EDIT: I'l try to make it when, if I find my old plastic army men.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 06:10:41 am by darkpaladin109 »

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7523 on: December 27, 2013, 10:50:07 am »

Actually, not sure how I'll handle that. If all players are in the same band, that can cause trouble with simultaneous roll...

Nope.

That works really well, actually. Replace "effects that happen if you roll this number repeatedly" with "effects that happen if this number of people in your band roll this".

I'll also include items that you can purchase with revenue (which is just your total score x100 and reduced by placement- 2nd is x0.75, third is x0.5, last is x0.25.)
These can save your from certain rolls or change certain rolls if you use them- a cross necklace may turn a 6 into a 5, or a Fog Machine might up low rolls by 1 point (1,2, and 3 get a +1), but you have to use these items before you roll. In certain cases, the item is always on until it is used (the cross) or lasts for a number of turns (a Jumbo Fog Machine only works for 1s and 2s, but lasts 3 turns).

The absolute best item in the game would probably be "Magic Metronome": All players get the same roll as the user. Huge chance to backfire, but having other members use protection items like the fog machine works.
---
I might run this once BATTLE BIKES takes off, but if anyone wants to go for it I'm more than happy to let them.

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7524 on: December 27, 2013, 04:04:33 pm »

I just got another idea. Playing in the universe from LEGO space (1987-1999 version), mostly since it has a lot of different factions and is fairly well established, having a good amount of fluff. It's not particularly creative, but could be pulled off, if you really wanted to. You'd also likely have to weld the background and faction relations together a bit more.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7526 on: December 30, 2013, 05:06:30 am »

A trope driven RTD. Literally. Players create their character by choosing 5 tropes which apply to it. Aside from controlling their character, they also get to influence the story directly. At the beginning of the game, they get to choose a trope index, from that index, 3 tropes are randomly chosen . They also get 2 modifiers. (Averted, exaggerated, ...). At any point during the story, they can activate a trope of their liking, and if they want to, add a modifier. After the effects have taken their turn, both modifier and trope are discarded. If there're open slots, a new modifier and trope is drawn at the end of each turn.  At any point in the game, a player can decide that he doesn't like his index, and pick a new one. He will have to wait several turns before the slots are filled, however.

For added fun, the GM can also be reliant on tropes.

Spoiler: Example Character (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Example gameplay (click to show/hide)

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7527 on: December 30, 2013, 05:14:58 am »

That sounds interesting, but I'm slightly afraid of going in and never coming out, I've survived my last encounters through being seemingly unable to use the search bar and always getting distracted, and if I'm going in looking for that perfect trope, *shudder*.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7528 on: December 30, 2013, 10:54:17 am »

And the gag boobs.

Gag boobs everywhere.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7529 on: December 30, 2013, 11:44:51 am »

I likey

Edit: the game idea, not the gag boobs
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 500 501 [502] 503 504 ... 661