Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702427 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7680 on: February 06, 2014, 07:37:05 am »

I'd definitely be interested in a Dogfight RTD

I'd definitely be interested in a Hot Air Balloon Dogfight RTD. Or a Hot Air Balloon Racing RTD.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #7681 on: February 06, 2014, 07:42:02 am »

I'd definitely be interested in a Dogfight RTD

I'd definitely be interested in a Hot Air Balloon Dogfight RTD. Or a Hot Air Balloon Racing RTD.
Anyone remember how Wacky Death Race mechanics went? :)
I'd love to see that in this kind of setting. Zeppelin type ships in a mechanical era of industry, commerce and practical Helium.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: February 06, 2014, 09:28:03 am »

Well, the Wacky Death Races were a little too... wacky. I don't know, I wanted to use existing aircraft because statting up an existing craft is easier than coming up with a custom craft creation and statting system. I can just say "you suddenly spot a flight of 5 Me-109's bearing down on your MiG-21", instead of describing - and coming up with - every random encounter in detail.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7683 on: February 06, 2014, 12:17:38 pm »

So, hot air baloon.

I'm going to rule the miniguns as feeding from the same ammo supply, and the missile launcher as a man-pack (i.e. a Stinger). You won't be able to fire more than one minigun at once (you're one guy), but you can essentially fire in any direction.

Aircraft: War Balloon
Mobility: 1
Responsiveness: 1d6
Toughness: 8

Weapons: 4x Minigun (separate 90-degree arcs), 1x Stinger launcher
   Minigun: up to 4 damage in 1 point clusters
   Stinger: guided (IR), 8 damage in 4 point clusters
Ammo: 20x Minigun burst, 8x Stinger Missile

No armor
Structure:
   Balloon: 6HP, 2 criticals (Valve, Fin)
   Gondola: 8HP, 6 criticals (Minigun, Minigun, Minigun, Minigun, Pilot, Rigging)

Some explanation. Mobility is how well you can move. Responsiveness is a measure of how likely your craft is to do what you want it to. Toughness is a measure of how unlikely your vehicle is to fall apart upon taking damage.

Mobility is not rolled against. It's straight up compared when determining maneuvers between aircraft, and various skill check values are altered accordingly.

Responsiveness: Rolled like an RTD check. Natural 1 is a failure, natural die maximum is a success, everything inbetween is neutral. If more than 1 die is rolled, the sum total of failures and successes determines result. Net failure may cause you to fly in a different direction, and will make you an easier target for the turn. Net success gives you a piloting bonus and makes you a harder target for the turn.

Toughness is checked whenever structural damage is sustained. 1d12 is rolled for every hit on the internal structure, and failure to roll equal to or under the Toughness value will cause a random Critical hit within the part. If there are no more critical locations, the part is destroyed even if its Structural HP is above zero.

All stats degrade as structural damage is taken.

I'll wait until some more entrants to start.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: February 06, 2014, 12:33:22 pm »

I'd be interested. Prepare for the dragonfly personal flyer, marvel of steampunk French engineering, straight from the dockyards of the Emperor. A curious construction of brass shaped like... whodathought, a dragonfly, it will finds its way through any battle, cutting and weaving with all the speed its fluttering wings allow. Make no mistake, mon ami, it is a precision instrument, and one that has won many battles.

...oh, real-life aircraft? Pity. I'm sure I'll figure something out. Still;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7685 on: February 06, 2014, 12:38:36 pm »

I'd be interested. Prepare for the dragonfly personal flyer, marvel of steampunk French engineering, straight from the dockyards of the Emperor. A curious construction of brass shaped like... whodathought, a dragonfly, it will finds its way through any battle, cutting and weaving with all the speed its fluttering wings allow. Make no mistake, mon ami, it is a precision instrument, and one that has won many battles.

...oh, real-life aircraft? Pity. I'm sure I'll figure something out. Still;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Either I missed an aircraft name, or it'll be just mr. Dechoirs shooting double machineguns, and tearing apart enemies with blades from the comfort of his parachute. Or freefall.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: February 06, 2014, 12:41:35 pm »

I'll take that as a 'no, not acceptable', then. If I can't have fancy mechanical dragonflies, I'll go for your run-of-the-mill triplane. But it'll have fancy colors atleast, damnit.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7687 on: February 06, 2014, 12:44:17 pm »

A fantasy contraption just leaves too much leeway for stats, really. I can hang machineguns onto a balloon, but I've no idea what to do with a mechanical dragonfly. Part of the reason I didn't go with the whole "craft your own aircraft" idea.

Triplane works, though. Fancy colors noted.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: February 06, 2014, 12:49:46 pm »

I suppose I'll sign up as well.

Spoiler: Jeffrey Gamble (click to show/hide)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7689 on: February 06, 2014, 12:57:16 pm »

I suppose I'll sign up as well.

Spoiler: Jeffrey Gamble (click to show/hide)
Interesting. A stunt kite isn't something that carries a person. Do you mean it's being flown by wires by a person on the ground, or do you perhaps mean a motorized paraglider? With the former you're only getting the two shots that are in the elephant gun - you need to land and technically end your engagement to reload. You can definitely down something with two shots from an elephant gun though, so...

Also, forgot to assign the balloon a value, but I'll wait until I have more crazy ideas like these to see what becomes the lowest point.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7690 on: February 06, 2014, 01:02:25 pm »

I mean a paraglider, yes. It was either that or an autogyro, and I'm not sure about the combat capabilities of that one.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: February 06, 2014, 01:07:56 pm »

I mean a paraglider, yes. It was either that or an autogyro, and I'm not sure about the combat capabilities of that one.

Implying that you're sure of the combat capabilities of a paraglider :P

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: February 06, 2014, 01:16:18 pm »

I like how only one person so far has picked a somewhat sane vehicle for dogfighting. :P

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7693 on: February 06, 2014, 01:17:12 pm »

Implying that you're sure of the combat capabilities of a paraglider :P

Well, if it's motorized, it should work fine, no? Particularly if I've got a gun.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: February 06, 2014, 03:01:27 pm »

The previous mention of hot air balloons in combat reminded me of dirigible aircraft carriers. There's no way it would work in a one-person-per-craft dogfight game, but I'd love to see a game that did include them. That and submarine aircraft carriers. Oh, and maybe also seaplane tenders, just because I have a fondness for weird logistical equipment.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 661