Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702348 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile

If I may say this from the perspective of one of Samarkand's players I think mostly why I didn't give feedback before was I enjoyed the game even though it had some flaws and just didn't analyze it until he asked for feedback so even though it could be improved the systems that worked made up for the systems that didn't which I just ignored.
Edit: A possible solution to that is to have three threads, IC, OCC, and GFT (Game Feedback Thread) with the GFT being where people post things that they noticed could be improved and suggest ideas as to how.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 02:02:29 pm by The Froggy Ninja »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

You can use OOC for that. There's no need for an extra thread.

If you want feedback on your work, why don't you just use this thread or gamer's block and present your game?? It's already what we do in these places!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:30:18 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

The block threads are more for WIPs. It'd feel a little weird for me personally to present a running RTD/forum game there.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Then make a dedicated thread for it.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

The block threads are more for WIPs. It'd feel a little weird for me personally to present a running RTD/forum game there.

How so? I'm pretty sure people have done it before. And it's always fun to read a forum game for purposes of criticism. It's not like people who read Roller's Block and post in it have anything better to do.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile

I you want feedback on your work, why don't you just use this thread or gamer's block and present your game?? It's already what we do in these places!
That's a good idea, but would primarily bring in outside feedback. Personally, while I would value any feedback, the people in whose opinions I have the most interest are those who are either participating in my games or regularly reading them, because they constitute my audience.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How so? I'm pretty sure people have done it before. And it's always fun to read a forum game for purposes of criticism. It's not like people who read Roller's Block and post in it have anything better to do.

I dunno. I'm the sort of guy who abandons RTS games in a panic after ten minutes of base building. I have a problem with being way too high strung in some places and being too laid back in others.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

I you want feedback on your work, why don't you just use this thread or gamer's block and present your game?? It's already what we do in these places!
That's a good idea, but would primarily bring in outside feedback. Personally, while I would value any feedback, the people in whose opinions I have the most interest are those who are either participating in my games or regularly reading them, because they constitute my audience.
So.. Remind me again what's wrong with asking for it in-thread?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile

Only in infrequency of replies, and the fact that you feel like asking for it too often is like harassing your players. In thread is where I think it should happen, I'm just looking for the best way to do it.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Only in infrequency of replies, and the fact that you feel like asking for it too often is like harassing your players. In thread is where I think it should happen, I'm just looking for the best way to do it.
If one person says something, and no one else comments, then there's prolly nothing to add. Chances are they don't think anything is wrong with your game dude.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Would anyone be interested in a Night Vale RTD?

I had a fun idea for how it could work. The posts would all be Cecil describing what is happening in the RTD at that current time, with the players being "reporters" who roleplay as being live on the scene and talking about what they're going to do on the radio. I had an idea that they'd be interns, but even RTD players are not that expendable. Anyway, character progression would work like this. Since the players would be out-of-towners (With maybe a few Night Valeians who moved out a while back and have now moved back to their terrifying hometown) there would be a Sanity number and an Acclimatization number.

Sanity is how rational you are in real, non-Night Vale terms: consider it your "Thinking Like Carlos" meter. Acclimatization is how rational you are in Night Vale terms: it's your "Thinking Like Cecil" meter. Every point in Sanity gets you a skill you can choose. Skills are mundane things like firing a gun or being good at maths that give you bonuses to that action. Every point in Acclimatization gets you a oddity. Oddities are strange things you can do like being able to manipulate the minds of helicopter pilots or being able to turn your entire lower body into a horrid mass of tentacles.

I'm not sure how both should be earned mechanically. Sanity should be earned by doing things rationally and normally, while Acclimatization could be earned by doing things Night Vale style. Any ideas on that front?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!

Depends on how familiar the players are with Night Vale. I've listened to it before. Not sure how well it would translate into being a game, but it has been a while since I heard it.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I imagine it could be converted neatly into a game. It'd be mission based, with the primary goal being to get as much newsworthy information out of the event as possible.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile

Oooh, I know I'd be interested.
And I think it'd work well enough as an rtd. I mean, it'd probably be way less combat-based than rtds tend to be, but that's a good thing in my mind.

* SSG doesn't really have any good ideas regarding that sanity mechanic though. But it does sound pretty cool.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

Uh-oh. Urge to RTD is rising, yet I lack a set idea of what I want to run.
This never ends well...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 535 536 [537] 538 539 ... 661