Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 699516 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd really like to run a suggestion/forum game/RTD but seem to be running into a critical lack of interest from the player base lately.  What would people like to see/play here?
Magical Girl XCOM where upgrades are personally crafted from your kills and achievements rather than researched base-wide.
Yes. So much yes.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

I'd really like to run a suggestion/forum game/RTD but seem to be running into a critical lack of interest from the player base lately.  What would people like to see/play here?
Magical Girl XCOM where upgrades are personally crafted from your kills and achievements rather than researched base-wide.
Yes. So much yes.
I would join that.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

If it happens, someone link it.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well it won't be me cause while I am extremely familiar with the XCom universe I know not what this Magical Girls thing is everyone loves.
Nom nom nom

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well it won't be me cause while I am extremely familiar with the XCom universe I know not what this Magical Girls thing is everyone loves.
Here's a quick summary of sorts.

Though from what I've heard, it regrettably, involves less genocidal collateral damage than that generator implies.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks, when I'm not at work and thus able to actually download that I'll give it a look through.  If it doesn't prove too daunting my interest is already piqued with the mention of genocidal collateral damage.
Nom nom nom

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not entirely sure what the conventions of the genre are, but I'm pretty sure the Bay12 definition is basically just "Magical child soldiers in weird outfits".

Yes. So much yes.
I would join that.
Likewise. Especially if the end result is everyone looking like Auron in ER. Except you know, with frilly skirts (or I guess, just Auron once Irony finally forces the uniform regulations through).

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ummm....I'm not interested in weird outfits at all. All I expect and want from such a game are a normal form, a magical form, and magic powers. Detailed form descriptions and (mandatory) backstories are things I don't like.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:47:48 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

Yes. So much yes.
I would join that.

Giving "In the Name of the Moon" a whole new twist.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes. So much yes.
I would join that.
Giving "In the Name of the Moon" a whole new twist.

I'm PTW just for this.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Yes. So much yes.

I had a similar idea to this, but replace Magical girls with Pacific Rim mecha. Because I'm not obsessed with little girls like irony is~. I get my kicks through murder.

Regardless, I think one of the major things you'd have to nail down to do that is the tone, since that would pretty drastically change the feel of the upgrade system and how it works. Because in most of those shows (I'm not super familiar with the genre, despite my magical girl generator) they don't really get any physical reward from beating the bad guys do they? Like, In madoka they got the little thing to stop them from going nuts, and in card captor they captured the things in the cards, but in sailor moon didn't they just do it to foil a villain's plans or protect something? They didn't exactly butcher their enemies monster hunter style and duct tape the claws to their pretty magical wands or anything.

Depending if you wanna go light hearted, Madoka style suffering, or maybe something altogether different, you'd probably have to really change the nature of the upgrades. With light hearted you could do something card captor or even pokemon like, where defeating a bad guy somehow gave you power over them or some aspect of them. Maybe corrupted spirits that you end up purifying? Maybe Megaman style where after defeating them you just mysteriously learn their ability? Maybe they drop something as they are defeated and that item lets you do it?

Grimdark magic girls could probably get away with the literal interpretation of this, straight up monster hunter style. Make new weapons and stuff out of the magical body parts of critters, use them to power rituals for magic spells, or maybe feed them to that evil magical animal you made the contract with in exchange for more power.  Imagine one of the girls dragging the corpse of some witch over to kyubey and him just unhinging his jaw and slowly devouring it whole before coughing out some new upgrade.

There are a lot of interesting things you could do depending on the style of magical girl you wanted to use.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:55:23 am by piecewise »

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They didn't exactly butcher their enemies monster hunter style and duct tape the claws to their pretty magical wands or anything.
And that's what's wrong with the genre! I'd feel pretty damn compelled to actually watch one of them if the characters actually did act like a cross between a slasher villain and Auron, duct taping everything they can grab onto themselves until they become moving mounds of severed limbs and loot :P

You could probably keep the tone light if the opponents aren't sentient, being things like automatons, reality cancer or some sort of hypothetical entity that acts seemingly intelligently through some sort of blindsight-like mechanism. Or maybe so that it doesn't become a killing frenzy where everyone rushes around like a swarm of magical, poorly-dressed piranhas, it could be based off of studying the opponents instead. And by studying, I mean vivisecting. Just fucking binding them and cutting them open on the field while everyone else gives covering fire.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile

And by studying, I mean vivisecting. Just fucking binding them and cutting them open on the field while everyone else gives covering fire.
To give it a really good twist you need to extract power while target is still alive.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And by studying, I mean vivisecting. Just fucking binding them and cutting them open on the field while everyone else gives covering fire.
To give it a really good twist you need to extract power while target is still alive.
But of course! A good vivisection should start off with a healthy subject, and end up with a neatly disassembled subject! :P

This is going to spawn a game along the lines of Mahou Shoujo Von Nost, isn't it?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Had an idea for an RTD (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 600 601 [602] 603 604 ... 661