Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702374 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Just reward action rather than RP. If your player comes up with a really awesome plan to beat their opponent and it works, give them XP for it. If they beat the monster by getting good rolls in combat, reward them for it. If the players work together as a team and launch an awesome combo attack, reward them for it.

Using cheap tactics (setting off a nuke to defeat a slime, for example) should give a malus to XP, as should collateral damage since it's kinda difficult to do stuff when you're worried about other people.
I think the idea of the system is to actually discourage teamwork and encourage questionable ethics. Albeit without the latter dominating the game to the point it just becomes a string of atrocities.
Not so much discourage teamwork and encourage questionable ethics directly as reward hardship and make you better at what you do, intentionally or not. It's basically a more fluid version of "harder fights award more XP" and "rogues get better at doing rogue stuff as they level."

That said, yes, it'd generally encourage being various kinds of a monster.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

I might work on this magical girl thing if I can think of clever ways to do it. I probably wouldn't run it, but I think I might be able to mush a system together. Just gotta finish this genetics and cross breeding system first.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

You're doing a system for genetics? Wot?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile

He likes to breed with monster girls.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile

This thread has done fine without a sticky for years, so I don't really see the need.

Agreed. It's basically on the front page all the time, and the length of the thread should be enough to let people know it's important.

Also, I want to play with this loot/combat system, but I know I'm not going to run it and I also want a chicken sandwich, so imma go eat instead.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am attempting to create a sci-fi monster hunter style system.  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152232.0  Currently looking for input and players/testers.  Is a rather major work in progress but I am using existing table top systems as a basis to grow upon.  Traveller, Wh40k are two of the major mechanics systems I am looking at as they both handle very large creatures/machines rather well.

*It would be magical girls as well cause that seems ridiculously popular atm but I don't have the mindset or personality to do that, though if you want to fluff as a magical girl... the whole collecting monster parts for new weapons/powers/ect is definitely a thing I want included. 

Basically you can be magical girls but I can't do npc's of them as a warning.  For powering up off brutality/danger/wierd tactics and collecting parts absolutely.  :P
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 02:24:00 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile

I'm actually admittedly interested, as I've been playing Simic decks in MtG.
Flavor text of Species Gorger:
"We raised eelhawks to control the squidflies, then waspcrabs to prey on the eelhawks. Now what do we do with all of these waspcrabs?"

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

I'm actually admittedly interested, as I've been playing Simic decks in MtG.
Flavor text of Species Gorger:
"We raised eelhawks to control the squidflies, then waspcrabs to prey on the eelhawks. Now what do we do with all of these waspcrabs?"
The thing I'm stuck with is trying to find a middle ground between simulation and ease of use. I mean the original prototype simulated the entire genome with a dozen or so chromosomes of 15 or more genes each. And it was pretty neat because it allowed for a lot of variability and realistic breeding with a few extra rules for crossing over and mutation. Unfortunately it took something like 500 coin tosses to make one offspring and was a massive fucking thing to do.  So now I'm working on a way to do a good mixing of traits and stats without forcing you to simulate actual meiosis and shit.

In any case, back to that magical girl thing. I've got a working idea for it. It involves traumatic amputation, retro-futurism, body horror, marionette angels, pokemon style creature capturing, and magic that requires either pretty ribbons or spurting arterial blood.

More on that later.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

The thing I'm stuck with is trying to find a middle ground between simulation and ease of use. I mean the original prototype simulated the entire genome with a dozen or so chromosomes of 15 or more genes each. And it was pretty neat because it allowed for a lot of variability and realistic breeding with a few extra rules for crossing over and mutation. Unfortunately it took something like 500 coin tosses to make one offspring and was a massive fucking thing to do.  So now I'm working on a way to do a good mixing of traits and stats without forcing you to simulate actual meiosis and shit.
If the pattern was stable enough and the flips were a bigger issue than the bookkeeping, you could make a table. Instead of flipping once for Gene 1 per parent, once per Gene 2 per parent, you could have Entry 1 be 1111111, Entry 2 be 1111112, Entry 3 be 1111121, etc.

Which would still be a pain at 12x15 genes, but probably at least better. Likely not elegant enough to be the perfect solution, though.

In any case, back to that magical girl thing. I've got a working idea for it. It involves traumatic amputation, retro-futurism, body horror, marionette angels, pokemon style creature capturing, and magic that requires either pretty ribbons or spurting arterial blood.

More on that later.
I like every single thing in this post.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile

I'm making a game based around being A Yautja warrior. So far there's not any interest. I decided to post it here, in hopes some people would sign up.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152208.0
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More on that later.
I like every single thing in this post.
Seconded. I am particularly intrigued by the marionettes.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

I'm making a game based around being A Yautja warrior. So far there's not any interest. I decided to post it here, in hopes some people would sign up.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=152208.0
I feel you may be undermining yourself slightly by using the "proper" name for the predator. Because I don't know what the fuck a yautja is, so I might not click on the thread.  Predators though, we all know exactly what those are.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see your point. It could have been worse, I could have written words in Yautja so nobody could understand it.
10/10.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

I see your point. It could have been worse, I could have written words in Yautja so nobody could understand it.
That might actually work because people might be curious exactly what a thread with a title written in angry clicking noises was about.

"SHHHHSHHCKCKCKCKCKCAHHHHHHHSHH" quest.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"CHkkkkkkkkk" says Dkkkkkkkkk, in a Chhhhhhhhhhh tone.
10/10.
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 661