Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702402 times)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile

Specialization progression seems something interesting, however it means greatest amount of work for you because you have to come up with a class for each and every combination. With mentioned examples you already have 120 possible combinations. Can you do that? You could whip up something on spot when player picks their combos to reduce your initial workload.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Specialization progression seems something interesting, however it means greatest amount of work for you because you have to come up with a class for each and every combination. With mentioned examples you already have 120 possible combinations. Can you do that? You could whip up something on spot when player picks their combos to reduce your initial workload.

Hell yeah I can. Some excel magic to create all possible combinations, would leave me just with the trouble of naming them. The trouble of that is also relatively easy, as my master google-fu skills should reveal custom lists of rpg's class names which I have to shift through.
Durrr..

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile

Before doing to that, I'd compute the number of combinations. How many specializations are there?
One wheel short of a wagon

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Before doing to that, I'd compute the number of combinations. How many specializations are there?

With 10 specs:
Offense/Melee ???
Ranged
Defense
Dark
Light
Nature
Elemental (Fire, water, earth, Air, Electric)
Arcane
Vitalism/ Healing/Buffs
Trickery(Illusion, Shadowplay)

These should take in account all of the things that I have in mind. Keep in mind that I haven't described them yet, but curses, necromancy, etc would be put in dark. So each spec covers a broad array of things.

and each combination consisting of 3, we get 120 combinations. With 4, we get 210. I can easily create an excel sheet with formulas which show detailed information about the specializations once selected. So initially you get 3 columns, where you pick one of the 11 specs and once chosen the formula would display the class name and the related information.

EDIT: Edited list from 11 to 10, guns removed and put into ranged.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 10:20:13 am by Mr.Zero »
Durrr..

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Why are ranged and guns separate categories?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've come up with a magic system that I wanted to run by this thread.

All mages have a certain amount of MP with which to cast spells.

There are three types of mages: internal, external, and ritual.
Internal mages can self-regenerate and improve their physical stats. Their variety is weak but the effects per MP are the highest of the three types.
External mages are typical spellcasters. They shoot lightning, heal allies, and have access to kinesis. All their spells have to originate from them so they can't just create a fireball inside someone else's lungs.
Ritual mages have access to complex and long-lasting spellwork. Ritual magic is held back by needing time, preparation, and physical ingredients. An instant spell of the type cast by internal and external mages cast by a ritual mage only has a 10% chance of success.

Every time a mage levels up, they get +1MP and a new spell which they can choose. For every three spells of the same element they acquire, they gain a bonus MP that can only be used for that element.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

I like the progression and the bonus MP for each element. Internal and External seem like bad names, although being bad with names I don't know what would be better.

Ritual seems like it would have to be pretty powerful, like the ability to make a huge magic circle that causes enemies to revive as zombies. If it's that powerful, then it seems like it would be fun.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Something I was working on...

Spoiler: Transcript (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 04:09:50 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ritual seems like it would have to be pretty powerful, like the ability to make a huge magic circle that causes enemies to revive as zombies. If it's that powerful, then it seems like it would be fun.
It's more about complexity and endurance rather than power. An external necromancer can revive enemies as zombies until the combat is done while the ritual necromancer can revive an enemy as a week-long minion with all of its skills and abilities. High-power spells require powerful reagents or lots of MP.

Looks interesting, but don't leave the character creation so freeform that it resembles Roll to Space Pirate (nothing wrong with it, it's just that you'd be copying). Leave a few ground rules for your players to work around such as 'must not be an impossible existence' or 'magic A is magic A'.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile

Text jumps around too much, it doesn't flow very well. Too much irrelevant information PC most likely doesn't comprehend and makes note of that on multiple occasion, conveying sense "We are so much better than you (PC), we are very much aware of the fact, and we want to ensure you too know it".
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Snip

Spoiler: Transcript (click to show/hide)

It looks alright, but I have to agree with AM. The text flows too fast and doesn't have a natural typing feel to it. Slow it down, create very short stops after large amounts of text to show it like the thing is thinking ( I assume that these are virtual beings) and then talking.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 11:27:11 am by Mr.Zero »
Durrr..

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile

It looks alright, but I have to agree with AM. The text flows too fast and doesn't have a natural typing feel to it. Slow it down, create very short stops after large amounts of text to show it like the thing is thinking ( I assume that these are virtual beings) and then talking.
It wasn't animated when I wrote my opinion, so I referred to slightly different thing.
Old sigs.
Games.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure. I think the irrelevant info is in-character though. Maybe I can add half-sized matrix style threads popping in between paragraphs to give the desired effect?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My advice is this:

Get a script and have all that text written down inside it.

Then open a word processor and record yourself typing down the script into the processor (use a camera to record if you don't have screen capture software, the quality of the footage isn't important). Then using your recording, you can get a feel for how the average human types and add the necessary pauses. Some of the pauses may be shorter or longer depending on wether you had to refresh your memory by looking at the script or wether the speaker was supposed to think before typing it in. If you feel lazy, you can just use the pauses you had while you were typing, it doesn't have to be perfect.

A bit tedious but I think It'll help a lot.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks interesting, but don't leave the character creation so freeform that it resembles Roll to Space Pirate (nothing wrong with it, it's just that you'd be copying). Leave a few ground rules for your players to work around such as 'must not be an impossible existence' or 'magic A is magic A'.

To be honest (and no offense to Kevak here) but Roll to Space Pirate hasn't really... existed for the past few months.
I'll probably include classes of organisms and technologies and eras and such to guide character creation. If a player wants to go outside the lines with a good idea, though, I can't really say no.

My advice is this:

Get a script and have all that text written down inside it.

Then open a word processor and record yourself typing down the script into the processor (use a camera to record if you don't have screen capture software, the quality of the footage isn't important). Then using your recording, you can get a feel for how the average human types and add the necessary pauses. Some of the pauses may be shorter or longer depending on wether you had to refresh your memory by looking at the script or wether the speaker was supposed to think before typing it in. If you feel lazy, you can just use the pauses you had while you were typing, it doesn't have to be perfect.

A bit tedious but I think It'll help a lot.

I added a variable pause after punctuation, spaces, and newlines. I hope that made it a bit more natural.
Is it (still) too fast?

Pages: 1 ... 628 629 [630] 631 632 ... 661