Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702209 times)

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile

Didn't really mean golden grass, that would be really ridiculous. Mostly, say, changing the way it would grow so that you can throw giant wooden spears at will, grow walls around people, encase them in plant matter, etc. So, not exactly god on earth proportions, but powerful enough with little enough hacking that it (or something similar to it) could cause a balance issue somewhere down the road. Then again, I don't really know what the average power level is going to be, so it might not be at all problematic.

Embodied beings, yeah. Did read the GIF thingamabob, after all (although I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a "second" body). Of course, the corruption does make it seem like the everything-is-a-computer-worlds are more deathtraps than anything else. Guess it depends on what form that corruption takes/what it actually does with the mainframes.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

Well, that would be restricted by how fast the grass could grow. Again, it depends on the limitation of the system. It's a balancing point so players have a reason to invest in equipment and skills, rather than just putting all points into Cybermancy and Intelligence and controlling everything. I mean you totally could try. The power level will be pretty high usually.

Embodied beings, yeah. Did read the GIF thingamabob, after all (although I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a "second" body). Of course, the corruption does make it seem like the everything-is-a-computer-worlds are more deathtraps than anything else. Guess it depends on what form that corruption takes/what it actually does with the mainframes.

Sorry, I meant in the context of an AI who wants to use the computerized rocks/grass/planet as a host. You'd want a backup body.
Humans and such only have one body, of course. You could play a pair of bodies with a shared consciousness, though.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 03:58:18 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile

I want to ask if this will suit better at RTD or normal FG&R boards.
Spoiler: Might be snippy. (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Might be snippy. (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: >.> (click to show/hide)

Is English a second language for you?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If rolling to dodge is present, it goes in RTD.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile

Now, I've been a little out of touch (Read as: What is ER and why does it have its own sub-board, and where did all the create-your-own-dragon games go), but how long ago did the last Roll to Dodge a Song die?
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Now, I've been a little out of touch (Read as: What is ER and why does it have its own sub-board, and where did all the create-your-own-dragon games go), but how long ago did the last Roll to Dodge a Song die?

Only bell that name rings was IronyOwl's one that took songs as inspirations for locales, and that I believe to have been more of a stillbirth than a death.

EDIT: oh, the original one died in 2010 before this thread was even a thing. Huh.

EDIT: and another one died that same year. And also a different one, still 2010.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 04:29:36 pm by Harry Baldman »

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile

Only bell that name rings was IronyOwl's one that took songs as inspirations for locales, and that I believe to have been more of a stillbirth than a death.

EDIT: oh, the original one died in 2010 before this thread was even a thing. Huh.

EDIT: and another one died that same year.

Ah, my thanks. Just an interesting concept from a while back that I wanted to make sure hadn't been done to death in the meantime.
The pure destructive force of a full speed taco truck is pretty bad, and adding a bomb on won't add that much."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

So there appear to have been five in total, the last two are a stillbirth from 2011 and IO's slightly different never-really-born remix from 2012, the only one I personally witnessed. So four years ago! Man, how time flies.

An ancient and noble lineage, that one. And hypothetically a pretty good concept if you can somehow put some mechanics to work with it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 04:35:13 pm by Harry Baldman »

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile

Quite. As I recall, one of the problems was that, when characters were based on songs, people were really happy to build characters, but the song aspect petered out after that. Same things for the worlds, really.

Songs are (reasonably) quick, and, for games like the Roll-to-Dodge-a-song series, I think there needs to be some way to have them move faster rather than trap a group or an individual with a particular song for any long period of time.

Bah. Perhaps I'll postulate something random later. Ideas upon ideas, but better to focus on doing one or two things well than to just expectorate good intentions.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

Reminds me of a recent idea I had to make a game where everyone is a bard that plays heavy metal in the post-apocalyptic remnants of a fantasy world. Couldn't quite narrow down what role songs would actually play, other than just flavor.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

The Adversary

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Oh Deer God...
    • View Profile

Might be interesting to do a little arena with the song theme.

Each character in the Arena starts with one song, they turn that song in along with an archetype and maybe a bio if they're feeling like going above and beyond.

The song must be between 1 and 7 minutes. (I'd prefer shorter, but... Metallica) This song in combination with their archetype generates the character's special abilities+equip (just like some earlier iterations of the Roll to Dodge a Song).

The arena itself also has three songs of its own, and these three songs, plus the songs of each of the players, are added to a playlist where only the next track is visible. Each track lasts 1+1d4 turns.

Now, all players have their abilities all the time, but, if a player's track comes up, they get a boost to their health, and all their abilities become MUCH more effective.

If an arena track comes up, a unique environmental hazard begins, but no players get bonuses.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile

A simple RTD: You are a pidgey

You start as a low level pidgey having to fight other pokemon for food, and sometimes fight for your freedom from trainers. You level up and move to new areas of kanto, eventually evolving into Pidgeotto and Pidgeot. As you move to new areas, though, you have to fight tougher pokemon in the enviroment.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A simple RTD: You are a pidgey

You start as a low level pidgey having to fight other pokemon for food, and sometimes fight for your freedom from trainers. You level up and move to new areas of kanto, eventually evolving into Pidgeotto and Pidgeot. As you move to new areas, though, you have to fight tougher pokemon in the enviroment.

It'll work as a minimalist or basic rtd, it won't last very long (From what I've witnessed) but can be fun if executed well. If you don't have much time or want to get your feet wet with running rtd's these are a good entry point i'd say.
Durrr..

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just gonna do a quick interest check on that space whale game. The one Sean Mirrsen ran a long while back and I asked permission to run but never did. Basically, I've got everything more or less ready if anyone wants to go and hunt eldritch whales in space. So, anyone want to do that?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 661