Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 661

Author Topic: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)  (Read 702486 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9645 on: January 08, 2017, 11:55:00 pm »

What if the mind-swapping game was a deathmatch?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
Re: Roller's Block (RTD Brainstorming Thread) (HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY) (Derm is 5k)
« Reply #9646 on: January 09, 2017, 08:36:53 am »

It would be unfair to swap the minds of someone heavily wounded and in danger with someone safe and sound. How could we avoid this?

-Only swap people with similar amounts/severity of wounds/depleted health.
-Wounds are seen as happening to the mind/spirit, with the body reducing them. Thus, they swap alongside the mind.
-Wounds "anchor" the mind to the body, preventing/reducing the chances of swapping bodies.

Also, there's another thing to consider: Do the minds swap, putting players in new situations, or do the bodies swap, leaving the players in the same situation with different options? The former makes more unconventional bodies reasonable (becoming a mermaid mid-fight could easily be lethal in the latter), but the latter allows one's work and progress to not immediately be given away.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 09:43:52 pm by OceanSoul »
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: January 09, 2017, 08:37:52 am »

What if the mind-swapping game was a deathmatch?

Sounds good. Give players weak or average bodies to start with, scatter enemies with stronger bodies throughout the field to swap with.

Maybe make weakened bodies easier to swap to and harder to swap from, in order to prevent people from going directly human>dragon or human>bronze collosus right away. Also give bonuses/penalties based on similarities between bodies. Possibly have players endure penalties for a couple turns while they get used to their body and some such.

Actually all these suggestions might not be best for a death match, thinking about this deeper.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: January 09, 2017, 09:22:57 am »

Person, reminds me of an old game idea I had while lurking. It was Kirby-esque, in that PCs could absorb a Power, a physical expression of an element/property/concept from an object or defeated enemy, using the Power to access a Form. Each Form was essentially a class that could be leveled up, with it's own stats, weaknesses, resistances, and skills. Only one could be active at a time, but some Powers could combine to make a different Power, such as the combination of the Powers of Shadow and Dagger to create a Ninja Power and access the Ninja Form. These fused Powers' Forms would usually be stronger and rarer that the previous forms (possibly exclusive to Power fusion), and, after a few levels, could be used if you only had one of their material Powers (that were fused to create it). However, Power fusion could require some levels in the material Forms, and might backfire, destroying one or both of the Powers used.

Is this clear?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 03:15:28 pm by OceanSoul »
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: January 09, 2017, 08:48:32 pm »

Seems clear to me.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9650 on: January 09, 2017, 09:15:10 pm »

Well, I remember a little more of it now. A Form, on level up, could require you to consume a Power to unlock a new skill, and there may be multiple different skills gainable from it depending on which Power was consumed. For example, a Bomber role could unlock a Fire bomb, Ice bomb, Smoke bomb or maybe even a Slime bomb at such a point. Also, a Power could take a physical form for a turn or two, whether by willed release by a PC using it or by containment in certain mobile devices, letting the PCs keep backups of powers they like. Not sure if all this would be too much (it would be best introduced gradually), but one day, when I'm more experienced and have more time, I could run the RTD. Or, if someone liked and understood the idea enough, I might let them run it for me, if they wanted.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: January 09, 2017, 09:19:43 pm »

It would be unfair to swap the minds of someone heavily wounded and in danger with someone safe and sound. How could we avoid this?

-Wounds are seen as happening to the mind/spirit, with the body reducing them. Thus, they swap alongside the mind.
-Wounds "anchor" the mind to the body, preventing/reducing the chances of swapping bodies.

Also, there's another thing to consider: Do the minds swap, putting players in new situations, or do the bodies swap, leaving the players in the made situation with different options? The former makes more unconventional bodies reasonable (becoming a mermaid mid-fight could easily be lethal in the latter), but the latter allows one's work and progress to not immediately be given away.
Why are we avoiding being unfair and putting players in dangerous situations with no warning? In my mind, that was the whole point of this thing.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9652 on: January 09, 2017, 09:52:52 pm »

Also, there's another thing to consider: Do the minds swap, putting players in new situations, or do the bodies swap, leaving the players in the made situation with different options? The former makes more unconventional bodies reasonable (becoming a mermaid mid-fight could easily be lethal in the latter), but the latter allows one's work and progress to not immediately be given away.
Why are we avoiding being unfair and putting players in dangerous situations with no warning? In my mind, that was the whole point of this thing.
It's one thing to give someone a disadvantageous body and make them roll with the punches. It's another to put someone into a body about to die, making them lose without a thing they could do to avoid it. We should avoid the latter, as no one finds enjoyment from the latter.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9653 on: January 27, 2017, 09:32:06 pm »

So…I finally decided to start my first game on the forums. I have plenty of ideas for games, but i’d rather get some basic experience and reputation as a GM before I work on any of the better, bigger ones.  I’ve gathered some of the simple ideas here, since I can’t decide which one to put up/finish first, and I’d want to check for interest on the games/glaring mistakes I’ve made.

Spoiler: 1. Roll to Charge (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 2. Roll to Reference (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 3. Wild Magic Arena (click to show/hide)

Anyway, I’m open to suggestions and help. If you think that you could pull the game off, I might be willing to give it to you. If you opened ANY of my spoiler, thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 10:10:10 pm by OceanSoul »

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: January 28, 2017, 12:25:00 am »

Of those, I'm liking wild magic the most. Roll to charge is also interesting, but a bit confusing in that there doesn't seem to be a definite system for determining charge effects- you jump around a bit between special abilities and straight bonuses.

If it were me, I would make "normal" charge give bonuses to things that the object would logically be used for, maybe with a very slight supernatural effect if it would otherwise be kind of underwhelming. Something like a sword would just get bonuses to stabbing things, but sitting in that charged chair for a while might make you so rested and refreshed that you actually become physically stronger, since a bonus for sitting down in a chair is going to be more or less useless.

If that were the case for normal charge, the really weird/magical stuff would probably come with the flavored charge, and determining results would likely be pretty simple. Do give it some downside as compared to normal charge, though, so that people have a reason to use both. In this scenario, it would probably just do magicy stuff without providing a bonus (which you'd need plain charge for).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 12:26:56 am by Whisperling »

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9655 on: January 28, 2017, 03:02:03 am »

The aid provided by a charge can take many forms. Sometimes the object itself itn't rolled for, such as trivial actions like sitting in a chair, and sometimes the object's uses aren't part of the roll, such as using a charged potted plant to block your enemy's way. A +X bonus wouldn't apply here, since the object doesn't get a roll in the first situation, and it wouldn't be used for an intended purpose in the second. Multiple forms of aid allow the charge to have an affect more of the time.
Normal charge affects were already going to enhance or object's purposes and uses. For example, a charged pairing knife wouldn't be any/much better at stabbing and slashing, but it could easily fit off a good chunk of skin. Though people sit on stairs, a charged stair wouldn't do anything sitting-based, and would likely just send them up/down the stairs by a large amount when/if they sat. Skills could allow for modified versions of normal charges, such as a charge simply protecting the object from harm, or maybe imbuing another object with one of the charged object's properties.
I considered extra concepts one gains to charge with being based on some of the things they charged normally, additionally requiring a certain amount of normal charges so that there would be object's to base it on. Also, a concept-based charge would not be able to help with certain things. A Kinetically-charged medkit might be hard to heal with.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:54:46 am by OceanSoul »

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: January 28, 2017, 04:26:11 pm »

The aid provided by a charge can take many forms. Sometimes the object itself itn't rolled for, such as trivial actions like sitting in a chair, and sometimes the object's uses aren't part of the roll, such as using a charged potted plant to block your enemy's way. A +X bonus wouldn't apply here, since the object doesn't get a roll in the first situation, and it wouldn't be used for an intended purpose in the second. Multiple forms of aid allow the charge to have an affect more of the time.

Normal charge affects were already going to enhance or object's purposes and uses. For example, a charged pairing knife wouldn't be any/much better at stabbing and slashing, but it could easily fit off a good chunk of skin. Though people sit on stairs, a charged stair wouldn't do anything sitting-based, and would likely just send them up/down the stairs by a large amount when/if they sat. Skills could allow for modified versions of normal charges, such as a charge simply protecting the object from harm, or maybe imbuing another object with one of the charged object's properties.

I considered extra concepts one gains to charge with being based on some of the things they charged normally, additionally requiring a certain amount of normal charges so that there would be object's to base it on. Also, a concept-based charge would not be able to help with certain things. A Kinetically-charged medkit might be hard to heal with.
Important forum formatting tip: put an empty line between each paragraph, like I did here.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: January 28, 2017, 04:42:52 pm »

Got it. Anyway, I've decided that I'll probably try the Wild Magic one. I think I'll call it Wild Hearth- Magic RTD. Is the name good? Also, does anyone know which RTD I'm referring to here? It's important for the game.
I know what you’re thinking, but I already know the list of aspects I want to use. I just can’t remember where it is. Someone else made it on this forum (I can’t remember who) and used it to randomly generate stuff for their own RP. I can’t remember the name, but it was supposed to be some episodic space-traveling adventure with sky Nazis, jetpack Soviets, a tooth gun, business gnomes, a ripped boss whose own rocket throne was used against it, and a player playing some robot with a screen face that ended up being covered in Nazi swasticas against its will. Once I find it, I’ll ask the creator for permission to use the list, and once he’s OK, the game can start.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: January 28, 2017, 05:06:57 pm »

Digital Hellhound, I think would be my best guess. Not that he'd be the only person on bay12 to have made an aspect list.
One wheel short of a wagon

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9659 on: January 28, 2017, 06:12:53 pm »

Got it. Anyway, I've decided that I'll probably try the Wild Magic one. I think I'll call it Wild Hearth- Magic RTD. Is the name good? Also, does anyone know which RTD I'm referring to here? It's important for the game.
I know what you’re thinking, but I already know the list of aspects I want to use. I just can’t remember where it is. Someone else made it on this forum (I can’t remember who) and used it to randomly generate stuff for their own RP. I can’t remember the name, but it was supposed to be some episodic space-traveling adventure with sky Nazis, jetpack Soviets, a tooth gun, business gnomes, a ripped boss whose own rocket throne was used against it, and a player playing some robot with a screen face that ended up being covered in Nazi swasticas against its will. Once I find it, I’ll ask the creator for permission to use the list, and once he’s OK, the game can start.

That would indeed be Digital Hellhound's Guns, Cash and Glory. A year and a half ago, oh my! Took me a little while to remember what I played in that. Good old Evil Roy.

Not the right person to ask permission, mind you, because that game was based on Fniff's random lists what he made a longer time ago. Based on my own experience, however, just make your own random table - it's easy and fun (you're literally just making a list), and last time I told Fniff to do it he made that very list! And last time I did it I made The Forgotten Art, which was itself a take on the Grimoire of Questionable Spells from Seventh Sanctum.

Basically the thing is that the table is just words, so you might as well fill it with words that are personally fun to you. The ability to turn that into tooth guns and jetpack suits lies within your own head and all that shit.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:19:27 pm by Harry Baldman »
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 661