Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #13: Feedback  (Read 36820 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #13: Feedback
« on: April 23, 2011, 04:24:55 pm »

The thirteenth one has been posted.

Any comments about the format, content, quality, etc. of the call are welcome.

Ask questions via email (see this thread)!

The transcripts by mallocks have been posted, available at the DF Talk page or here: Transcript
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #13: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 04:51:56 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
Actually Scamps has an unknown location right now, so he's going to be prowling and clawing me at his will ... I'm kind of worried now, I don't see him.

Uhoh.  Based on my experience, that usually means trouble....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 05:11:02 pm »

I don't play DF as much these days, but I still listen to DF talks.

They amuse me.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 05:34:11 pm »

Nonlethal combat in release #3. Basically, this information is warmth to my heart and soul.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 05:43:52 pm »

Uhoh.  Based on my experience, that usually means trouble....
Indeed.

Hat making... we don't actually have real hats in the stock universe, do we? We have veils and turbans and caps and helms... maybe I should wait a bit before adding wide-brimmed hats for wizzrobes?

Nonlethal fighting will be great, as fun as it can be to kick a bandit's skull through his brain.

With regards to the government types, it would be neat to have government types change over time for whatever reasons. A warlord conquering large chunks of the surrounding lands and crowning himself king or even emperor, a small group overthrowing a king to institute themselves as a ruling council (and then hiring assassins to kill off the others), or even a petty bandit leader turning out not so petty after all and managing to unite several bands into a new civilization with himself as warlord... it isn't specifically mentioned in the talk, but I guess some part of that will come with the planned succession struggles and the like.

Grates... they shouldn't be able to stop all creatures anyway. Pretty small nonvermins could slip through them, strong ones and smart ones could destroy them or otherwise circumvent them. So a sewer might well have animal inhabitants even if the city remembers to place grates.

Urban night creatures... apart from the oft-mentioned vampires and other undead, I'm actually blanking on fitting creatures, unless we get helpful brownies, but I know there are better examples.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

finka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 06:51:50 pm »

Because of how it has to integrate the city grid with the cities it doesn't really have the same former-manor structure that it once did, although for the parts that are still agricultural that could return or not, depending on the timetable.
I hope time is made for this.  It sounds like it would help to some extent with the current unrealism of the streets in the partially-full cities: instead of placing a city-style street grid over the unbuilt land, you'd get the manorial street layout retained there. 

Frango Nicolbidok

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 07:10:59 pm »

In short term I'm looking forward to the sewers and people actually doing stuff in cities instead of standing there.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
However, now I wanted some more challenge and embarked to evil biome.
"Terrifying screams come from above!"

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 07:43:39 pm »

In short term I'm looking forward to the sewers and people actually doing stuff in cities instead of standing there.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Along with the ability for dwarves to fling furniture if they are angry enough. Perhaps you can have bouncers to help you keep the peace.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 08:17:50 pm »

will there be anything you cant do in cities?

when it comes down to it, i guess i will spend most of my time doing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJEgqhzwz0o (skip to 6 mins in)
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 08:19:04 pm »

My first thought when I heard about urban night creatures was the works of HP Lovecraft

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 11:46:20 pm »

The transcript is an absolute galena mine of quotes, and my favorite ore is galena.

It's raining little grass packets.  8)
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 12:14:39 am »

Wow the cities sound Fun! Catacombs and Sewers and whatnot. Perhaps we could find caches of supplies in sewers. Just little trinkets mostly, but a gold coin here and there would certainly be worth it.

Additionally. With all this city revamp, will human castles feel any love in the coming releases? And will there be any other military based areas like outposts in the woods or underground SNAFU bunkers?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 05:56:00 am »

Great! another Talk! thx all

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 07:09:33 am »

Another piece of entertainment and information courtesy of Bay 12.

The thing about these talks is that they make me want to enter cryogenic suspension for twenty years or so, so I can experience DF at its peak without delay.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 08:58:16 am »

When we see talk of 17x17 embarks, I begin to worry a bit about scale. I would like to pretend that one of my forts could eventually be the giant economic and military center of a major civilization; a real "mountainhome" as it were. The most I've seen in my largest forts is roughly 500 dwarves, obviously by then the FPS is crawling.

What this means is, in comparison to these cities, even my largest forts could only ever hope to be a minor outpost. With these sprawling cities, It would seem that the largest army I could field when the army arc hits might be able to capture a city gate...

You always have to reduce the scale of things in games, even the proposed system does that, but the question is, "how much?" I would like the largest practical player made fort to be some kind of benchmark in deciding on matters of scale. Maybe its OK for human cities to be much larger than dwarven halls, Dwarves dig, humans breed... kinda thing, but I'd rather not see the dev goal be to make impressively large cities. I'm sure there's a right size to be found in terms of gameplay.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar
Pages: [1] 2 3 4