Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1293026 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #2520 on: May 06, 2014, 11:49:33 pm »

Played through Retro/Grade and beat it on beginner difficulty some time ago. Had a hard time beating levels on Pro difficulty, and played mostly through Challenge Mode to sample future levels at harder difficulties.

Well, tonight, I took on X-Treme Mode on a whim through the regular game. I'm on Level 2 right now.

...It makes sense in context. Given the type of game it is, I regularly play on average difficulty, and have difficulty past expert (my hands hurt playing Guitar hero on hard mode). I just did it on professional (or expert in GH terms), and beat 8 levels, acing one of them in the process. Ho-Ly Crap! Since when did I become awesome all of a sudden? My inner child must've come for a visit, and wanted to have fun. Actually, the boss fights were more fun this time around. I can't wait to take on the first/final boss on X-Treme.

Summary: I took down the game like the walls of Jericho.

EDIT:
In Touhou terms, I just decided to skip right into Lunatic/Extra mode, and am at the mini-boss fight before the final boss. I have a hard enough time with regular difficulty as-is. For no apparent reason, I just beat a crapload of levels beyond my limits of difficulty, where even my ego knows where to draw the line, where games becomes more annoying than fun. You know, endless continue tedium; the bane of arcade gaming.

EDIT EDIT:
Speaking of Touhou, Playing some intense songs in Sounddodger+ (mostly boss battle music from Final Fantasy and some other games), I dodged some seemingly impossible walls of bullets and iron maidens (being shot at all sides, and/or being killed by one or all spikes in the onslaught), along with surfing a wave during orbit (curtains of bullets lining the round walls, resembling waves in the process, flying closely to said wave, mind you, navigating in circles.) to the point it bordered on CMOF and CMOA territory with me saying something along the lines of "How am I dodging all these?" in a scared tone as I'm dodging the shots like a pro. I had less than a centimeter's clearance on all sides as I was quickly dodging all kinds of shots, large and small, and a wing of 12-24 tracking shots that were following me through this wall of bullets. I felt very much like Vash the Stampede dodging all those shots. Needless to say, despite all the intensity, I'm still averaging a 90% rating on all these crazy-intense songs. And then I rediscovered OCRemix. Now the fun really begins.

Speaking of which, I ought to try out the Trigun soundtrack for this game.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 06:30:59 pm by Itnetlolor »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: May 09, 2014, 02:58:23 pm »

When the war with the French started, they had a military strength rating of over 160 and naval strength of 24(two frigates I think), while I had pretty much nothing, with more colonies than me, but fewer people.

Now, they have just one colony(used to be mine) and a military strength of 8. My military is at 108, and it was much, much higher before the last few town takeovers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Learned that Solidus' attacks are ridiculously easy to block during the second half of the battle. Kinda pathetic if you ask me.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: May 09, 2014, 09:54:28 pm »

Aside from the mild inconvenience of having to rebuild one command center and a couple bits that went along with it, not a single bad thing happened here and we turned all the ships into space dust.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: May 09, 2014, 11:06:31 pm »

Shot down an alien ship. I begin advancing towards the entrance, constantly on overwatch. I hear mechanical thumping up ahead, and fear running into a sectopod. Suddenly, I'm flanked from behind by a Cyberdisc and two drones. Oh shit. Then, a Mechtoid and two sectoids advance in a pincer maneuver. Trapped between two deadly foes, I focus fire on the cyberdisc with three of my soldiers, and focus the rest on the mechtoid. I manage to fire a shredder missile into the middle of the mechtoid group, damaging the mechtoid, and killing the sectoids. Meanwhile, I bring down the Cyberdisc with my kickass augmented sniper, and an assault trooper, with another assault bringing down a drone. My turn ends, and the drone and mechtoid bugger off. I continue advancing, and eventually bring both the drone and the mechtoid down with overwatch fire. No casualties, and no wounds either. All in all, that could have gone a hell of a lot worse than it did.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: May 09, 2014, 11:11:35 pm »

Got an dose weapons right now (Spaz is the gun I am mostly using and loving it, great to kill mutants which I been fight mostly.
Also I was able to get ton of money and ammo from jobs, compare to last time I play which I had an hard time to even get an better gun or fight bandits.
Time to move into the next zone, Woooo~

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: May 09, 2014, 11:21:59 pm »

What's this, our teams are on separate islands?  Shit, guess we can't walk our land units over and...just kidding, underworld passage, Greek and Atlantian army right in your face near the start of heroic.  And we brought catapults and destroyers.

We crippled the Norse player we were attacking despite very competent help from his Atlantian ally (who had an army of automatons and behemoths, weirdly enough).  Said Norse player resigned despite having about 12,000 combined resources and most of his villagers alive.  A counter attack razed the fort I built to defend the passage but we killed the three attacking armies afterwards and the gate stood.  Our next wave marched up and took out one of the Atlantean's town centers.  Our armies split and then the Atlantean dropped his entire military on my brother's army using Vortex.  A bloody battle ensued that killed most military units on the map, but unlike our foe we had the resources to replace ours.  Then I completed a wonder.  The last enemy with any fight left in him tried to use his own underworld passage and stop us... with unupgraded archers.  It went like you would expect.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: May 10, 2014, 12:55:23 am »

So, I'm relatively early in the game, and there's a Council Mission - Bomb Disposal.

After a bunch of turns, the bomb is in sight - not within my movement, there's one turn left. A sectoid flanked my guys and killed my Scout, so I can't possibly reach the bomb this turn, and there's 3 sectoids still alive, and a Thin Man.

The thin man shoots my medic, reducing him to two health, the sectoids have 4 health, 5 health, and one even has *seven* health from mind merge, the Thin Man, fortunately, is down to 1, but all of them are in heavy cover.

One sectoid Psi Panics, causing one of my soldiers to panic - followed by another one doing the same.

The other sectoid Mind Frays, causing another pair of soldiers to panic.

All I have is a medic, out of range of the bomb, with 1 turn left, and an assault carbine, which doesn't even do enough damage to reliably kill the sectoids.

Still beat it.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: May 10, 2014, 06:38:40 am »

The sweet sound of pwnage when you intentionally lure a capital-class ship towards a ring of 60 lasertowers. *fzzz*

Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: May 10, 2014, 11:48:44 am »

Maybe he had access to a node and left that detail out for dramatic effect?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2529 on: May 10, 2014, 05:22:46 pm »

Just beat Retro/Grade on X-Treme, the hardest difficulty in the game.

My hands hurt.

Additionally, I also did 50 of the game's challenges so far; as the achievement just noted me about. In the process, unlocking a mode I look forward to using plenty: Disco Mode. Apply that to X-Treme difficulty for X-Treme fun.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 05:24:46 pm by Itnetlolor »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: May 10, 2014, 07:13:45 pm »

I got the Cold War 'cheive in CS:GO. As in, the one where you win...
And noone on either side dies.

Best part?

I DIDN'T MEAN TO.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: May 10, 2014, 07:17:08 pm »

-snip-
Please explain how, seeing as you were apparently unable to do anything. Unless you made a mistake somewhere in how far you thought your medic could go, I don't see how you'd successfully do this.

I said the bomb was out of movement range. There were still 3 of the, uh, what are they called? Plasma conduit-things on the map. A sectoid was taking cover near one (but not taking up a movement spot), and I could move, activate it, and shoot, and all 4 of my panicking idiots stopped panicking next turn, enabling me to grab another two.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: May 10, 2014, 08:42:42 pm »

Jesus Christ Oswin is ridiculously overpowered. Dorcas is also a brutal beast. Sain's pretty good too.

Seriously though, I reckon I could do most maps with just Oswin, Dorcas, and a healer if I played my cards right. Oswin takes no damage, Dorcas has 5 gorillion HP and also now uses bows...

Hilariously the 'main character' is probably my weakest of my 'regular use' dudes. Sorry, Eliwood, but you're just... subpar.

Fire Emblem GBA

Edit : Are Erk and the Cleric girl he comes with compatible, or have I had them sitting together for ages for no reason?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 08:53:53 pm by Korbac »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: May 10, 2014, 08:58:47 pm »

Edit : Are Erk and the Cleric girl he comes with compatible, or have I had them sitting together for ages for no reason?

After wiki-diving for mugs, I could swear that they could get support bonuses with each other, but don't quote me on that...

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: May 10, 2014, 09:26:02 pm »

I managed to dodge the Harrier's unguided rockets by hanging off various ledges. The fight was a challenge in that I only had to get hit once to be killed, but I made it.

GUNIN, would you happen to know why I have not found a single ration on this playthrough yet? I'm relying on the health I get from beating bosses to stay alive.
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 709