Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1296700 times)

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #2505 on: May 01, 2014, 04:33:07 am »

So, routine "UFO has landed" mission, move into the ship. "Alright, so I heard the sound of a cyberdisc, a mechtoid, and some mutons..."

Walk forward.

Cyberdisc, 3 muton elites, 2 mechtoids, 2 sectoids, 2 Outsiders, 3 repair drones and a Sectopod look back at me.

Two minutes later, mission over.

Two soldiers gravely wounded, but NO DEATHS.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: May 01, 2014, 01:13:46 pm »

Mike Tyson, shirtless bellbro extraordinaire, encountered his first partial gank today: a host with sword-and-board, and a single pyromancer assistant. The two of them had hidden in the secret room of Belfry Luna, and I didn't notice the phantom assistant until I jumped in.

I proceeded to dodge-roll to safety (20% equip load OP), at which point a fellow bellbro arrived to even the odds. Between my furious punching and his grade-A distracting, we nearly KO'd the phantom before the host died. Both of us bellbros survived to earn our reward.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: May 02, 2014, 01:10:07 am »

Played a couple rounds of Unreal Tournament (classic) with custom-made bots which were more hardcore than I expected when I first played against them (and were a league harder than the default set I usually played against which were challenging enough), and after weeks of having my ass handed to me on a platter by them (bottom quarter rankings), I managed to keep up with them more reliably, and score within the upper half rankings out of 8 bots on average. Mind you, I have returned to playing against them in Godlike difficulty, and my custom bots are harder than the regular set. That alone *owns*; I got my edge back.

To add to it, recently, I played a couple CTF rounds, and managed to win both rounds, and scored 4 of the captures myself (3 capture win, 2 captures in each map). Same setup (Godlike custom-hardcore bots), small and medium maps. I had to pat myself on the back for a job well done. Not to mention, it felt nice to actually panic again when I have the flag. I mean, feeling scared enough that you're moving with your character running and jumping the corners and such inching ever so unsteadily towards the goal with tears of victory in your eyes; or disappointment when a lucky flak shot 'splodes you inches from your own flag. And my God, that screech of failure when their flag returns to base, and the klaxons blaring of your flag being taken just before you respawn... 5... 4... 3... 2... 1..., and shit, they're past the halfway mark already.

Time to reclaim what was lost. "(Red) Leader, you've got Point."; Almost... Almost.

Glorious. I'm far too rusty at that game to meet Godlike yet, but i'm about on par with Adept bots, at the moment.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2508 on: May 02, 2014, 02:59:40 am »

I thought it would be way easier at the start, because I played on a map that had a single choke point. I was sadly mistaken.

I pushed out of my tiny corner, and through much bloodshed and toil freed half the galaxy, until only a single planet separated my forces and theirs.

Upon that planet was built every defense man could build. Vast fields of mines lay between the wormhole and my forces. A dozen mighty fortresses stood sentinel, and surrounding each were dozens of lesser turrets. Mass drivers and Ion cannons were built. And despite their vast attacks, they still could not take it.

Thousands of starships and hundreds of thousands of fleetships fell before my mighty fortresses and my mighty fleet. Still they came, thousands at a time.

I finally turned to the spire, and built their cities out of nothing. And still the AI came. Fiercer and more desperate his attacks became. What had before been mighty waves thousands at a time became even fiercer. Instead of sending simple starships, now they sent dire guardians first in a trickle, then faster and faster. But still my mighty defenses held.

I advanced, and although I struggled under the pressure, soon my defenses were placed farther afield then they had ever been before.

After long toil, I finally managed to find and build the galactic warp-gate. The AI used this as an oppurtunity to launch a series of truly spectacular attacks. First starships. Then when they failed, they sent dire gaurdians. And when even those turned to dust, they send dozen of golems, vast starships made in the ages before man. Eventually the planet fell with only nine minutes till the warp-gate activated. As the AI ships poured into my empire I fell back, and despite the little time I had, hastily erected defenses that earlier would have been walls far too strong for it to penetrate. But they were not nearly what my old defenses had been, and were as tissue paper to the AI. Luckily, the Black Hole Machine I had erected stopped their fleets advances, it only for a single minute. But not even that could stop their golems, and they managed to slip through. Unto the very gates to my home they traveled, and it seemed that doom was upon me. They destroyed the force fields surrounding my home command center, and even managed to damage it, another two seconds and they would have destroyed me. But they were one second too slow, the gate opened, and out of it came hundreds of spire starships, and the golems bombarding me were destroyed in an instant.
The spire flooded the galaxy, and the AI fleet was quickly destroyed, followed by their home command system.
Finally, I am rewarded with the message of victory.
YOU WIN!

Spoiler: Thoughts (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:13:56 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: May 02, 2014, 06:14:39 am »

I sunk 67000 tons in one war patrol. Two of them were huge European liners. Happy hunting.

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2510 on: May 03, 2014, 11:51:55 am »

I beat Havel the Rock at soul level 31. Fuck yeah. I don't even care if this is what you're supposed to do, I feel like a complete badass anyway!

Dark Souls
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: May 03, 2014, 12:00:17 pm »

I sunk 67000 tons in one war patrol. Two of them were huge European liners. Happy hunting.

Nice.  I need to get back into that series.  There is no feeling like seeing a torpedo connect on max difficulty.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: May 03, 2014, 12:17:07 pm »

SMASH!

TEAR AND SMASH GANONDWARF'S HEAD!

LEAVE HIM TO DROWN!

Zelda: Wind Waker.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: May 03, 2014, 04:12:06 pm »

After licking my wounds from my first two forays into Empire: Total War (one miserable loss and one rather pyyrhic victory where I inflicted half again the number of casualties to my own men as the enemy had...) after finally realizing I now have a computer than can play the game, I loaded up a late era, large funds land battle on Grassy Flatlands I. I played as France vs Great Britain using preset armies.

I'm spoilering this as it's a bit lengthy...

tl;dr - A French army defeated an evenly-matched British army, ~500 losses to ~1100 on my 3rd ever battle with the game.

Empire: Total War
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: May 03, 2014, 04:15:24 pm »

I find that in E:TW close formations are highly effective against the ai, who tends to focus its attacks on one, or only a few points.

... and though I rarely have the forces to do so, I find holding my grenadiers in reserve to fill holes and counter charge enemies also quite effective.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2515 on: May 03, 2014, 04:18:30 pm »

I started my new Extreme Playthrough™ again. I'm doing doing really well so far, I managed to kill fat bastard Fatman on the first try.

MGS2

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: May 03, 2014, 04:49:28 pm »

Playin' the new release of cortex command (Which adds cheevoz, tradin cards, and workshop(!)). Dig one of my soldiers into a nice trench to kill a techion guy below.
Fall because of the clumsybutcool movement system.
Grab a nearby RPC M17 (Also known as the coolest but least practical weapon in the game)
Shoot
HEDSHOT
NO MORE HEAD
WIN MISSION
SOLDIER IS NOT DEAD

Cortex Command Build 30 (In case you didn't notice) with the void wanderers mod, an important point is that the artifact drops in that mission were mostly imperium tech, so I have my usual soldiers, and elysian imperial guard guy, imperium autoshotgun, plasma gun, and two generic nonimperium rocket launchers.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2517 on: May 03, 2014, 04:58:15 pm »

I started my new Extreme Playthrough™ again. I'm doing doing really well so far, I managed to kill fat bastard Fatman on the first try.

MGS2
Go!

Go, go, go~! :-D

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2518 on: May 03, 2014, 05:00:37 pm »

GANONDWARF
I didn't know before, but now I need Minish Fortress.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: May 04, 2014, 12:26:55 am »

I crashed a spaceplane off the runway.  It was too heavy and couldn't get airborne.  Fortunately the abort system works and Bob bailed out safely and the plane ended up crashing into the beach.

Lots of intact debris but instead of doing things the easy way and recovering from the tracking station I felt the need to bring the wreckage back.

After a few failed attempts (Small Rover is too weak to pull wreckage, big rover tips over when the crane grabs the hull, big rover goes too fast and blows up most of it dragging it along the ground) I finally managed to deliver a small portion of the thoroughly thrashed ship back to the hanger.

That's right, I accomplished something meaningful with a rover. Go me.

KErbal Space program.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 709