Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1289396 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #3015 on: August 05, 2014, 06:01:57 am »

Anyway,
I love you Heathen Conversion. You give me so hilariously many armies. So many in fact, we have decided to switch our currency from gold-based to heathen-based. What kind of loser would use gold in this heathen-rich economy? Everyone but Polynesia, that's who (and they do not have a sound investment strategy!)

So yeah, 3 Great Heathen Armies on the "New World" (playing a Terra map, erryone starts on one continent, I'm the only one with anything on the other) Using them to annex those silly city-states and be the only multi-continental empire.

Civ V
... Care to explain? I don't get the "heathen as a currency" thing. Is it a mod?
Pretty much what Greatorder said, though really its just a joke I told to myself, imagining a guy in safari gear coming into this place and us being like "you mean you use GOLD for currency? What a silly person, heathens are clearly the superior currency."

I also arbitrarily decided heathens are measured in bushels. I have five bushels of heathens!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: August 05, 2014, 11:12:29 am »

Got the quarians and geth to finally, finally live in peace. Yay for two of my favorite species not trying to kill each other any more! ^-^
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: August 05, 2014, 12:05:32 pm »

I had already lost it a few times, but I decided to try Yellow Comet's liberation mission again. Last time I used Sensei and Max, but this time I used Kanbei for his powerful troops and Grit for long range support from rockets and battleships. Kanbei was able to fend off the initial onslaught, using mostly tanks and AA guns. It took a while to get Grit in business because the buildings around his HQ were arranged conveniently so they would take as many turns as possible to capture, but he eventually did it, and was able to capture an airport and push forward toward the pipe, while supporting Kanbei's armor with a battleship.

Meanwhile, most of Kanbei's ground forces had been eliminated, but he had captured the other airport and was steadily crapping on units as they emerged from the factory. I was able to block the factory douches by placing APCs and a boat in front of the door. Most of the AA defences had already been dealt with, so I screamed "LEROOOOOOOOOOOOY" and moved all of the bombers over to the minicannons and the pipe. They blew up extremely quickly.

Advance Wars 2

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: August 05, 2014, 12:09:46 pm »

Got the quarians and geth to finally, finally live in peace. Yay for two of my favorite species not trying to kill each other any more! ^-^
*sniff* :'(
I loved this part too...

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: August 05, 2014, 12:42:24 pm »

I was actually able to win a game as the Covenant vs the UNSC. I really don't know much about the Halo universe but from my initial readings I was expecting the Covenant to be like the Imperial Empire (all big powerful ships that can take on multiple enemy vessels at once).

Turns out the Covenant have very slow rate of fire as well as turn speed and, while their shields do help against the masses of missiles UNSC ships pour out, MAC rounds eat through shields and hull so quickly I would lose most of my fleet as soon as I warped in.

I believe the trick lies with the Covenant capital ships. Some of them have a passive ability which allows their ships to propagate damage across enemy vessels which helps a lot when facing the much larger UNSC fleets. Initial exchange still hurts a lot though.

"Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion". Mod: "Sins of the Prophets".
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: August 05, 2014, 12:46:03 pm »

Not really a good thing, but I may have made the dungeon finale a touch too hardcore. It was supposed to be a soon-to-be recurring Vampire caster's introduction, who'd summon a few monsters then warp out. He ended up summoning three Fiendish Scorpions, which very nearly one-shot the cleric of the group. He's disabled, and would probably be dead if the other scorpion hadn't missed it's charge.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: August 05, 2014, 01:48:33 pm »

I was actually able to win a game as the Covenant vs the UNSC. I really don't know much about the Halo universe but from my initial readings I was expecting the Covenant to be like the Imperial Empire (all big powerful ships that can take on multiple enemy vessels at once).

Turns out the Covenant have very slow rate of fire as well as turn speed and, while their shields do help against the masses of missiles UNSC ships pour out, MAC rounds eat through shields and hull so quickly I would lose most of my fleet as soon as I warped in.

I believe the trick lies with the Covenant capital ships. Some of them have a passive ability which allows their ships to propagate damage across enemy vessels which helps a lot when facing the much larger UNSC fleets. Initial exchange still hurts a lot though.

If it was like the Halo games, you'd be buggered until late-game. In Halo, the humans and covenant encountered each other, covenant was more technologically advanced, but as time went on, humans began adapting their tech. The covenant didn't advance because their religion viewed the forerunner tech they used as pure (or something), and thus modifying it was blasphemous. Also, humans had a better understanding of maths than the covenant, which helped.
There are mods for SoaSE:R? O__O

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: August 05, 2014, 01:48:59 pm »

If it was like the Halo games, you'd be buggered until late-game. In Halo, the humans and covenant encountered each other, covenant was more technologically advanced, but as time went on, humans began adapting their tech. The covenant didn't advance because their religion viewed the forerunner tech they used as pure (or something), and thus modifying it was blasphemous. Also, humans had a better understanding of maths than the covenant, which helped.
And less stupidity. Who in their right mind would broadcast tactical data on unencrypted channels?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: August 05, 2014, 03:58:56 pm »

Absolutely nailed the chorus to Cake's "The Distance". 100%. :3

Rocksmith 2014.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: August 05, 2014, 10:31:18 pm »

And less stupidity. Who in their right mind would broadcast tactical data on unencrypted channels?

Intriguing, that makes sense because their early cruisers are much more powerful than the equivalent Paris class for the UNSC. Also highlights my need to speed up my game since I turtle like no bodies business.

@ Tiruin: Take your pick. Star Wars, Star Trek, Halo, Mass Effect, Babylon 5, Star Gate. I would recommend "Star Trek: Armada 3" and "Sins of a Galactic Empire".
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: August 06, 2014, 11:46:16 pm »

Does having three different vehicles (a harvester, plow, and seeder, in that order) on one field without them hitting each other count? I feel like it does.
Farming Simulator 2013, Demo version
Black lives matter.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: August 06, 2014, 11:50:42 pm »

Sins of the Prophets is GREAT.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: August 07, 2014, 01:14:59 pm »

Had five lands out by turn 3. I love green. But that's not how I owned. That came later.
Had a Hydra Broodmaster out. That's a 7/7 with the ability to become Monstrous for XXG. And when it becomes Monstrous, you get to put X X/X green hydra tokens onto the battlefield.
Have you heard of Dictate of Karametra? Double the mana output of lands. Everyone's lands. For a guy who had 5 forests, a mountain, and a Gruul Guild Gate, that's a lot of mana. So that plus tapping a creature for more mana, X=7.
That means that in an instant, my 7/7 turned into a 14/14, and I had 7 7/7 hydras out. SEVEN. *snap*, just like that. And I had another Broodmaster in my hand.

Against someone who'd only gotten out 4 lands (2 plains, 2 swamps) by that point, it was a slaughter. Absolute wipe-out. I'm going to help him build a better deck later, but I think I've perfected my Hydra Deck.

The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: August 07, 2014, 07:22:33 pm »

Coming up on May of year 3 and I still had only 600 of the 1500 required visitors, and with only a year left it wasn't increasing anywhere near fast enough to make that goal by October of the next year.
Then I remembered the one tool that had got me through most of the challenges all those years ago.
Running adverts to fill the park far beyond capacity.

And so I did. For a solid year I was promoting everything I could: Free food, free rides, promoting rides and the park in general. I had to take out a loan for the first ones but as the visitor numbers picked up so did the amount of money coming in, so it was just a game of hoping I'd built enough to keep the 1000 extra visitors happy.
Seems like I made the decision to start just in time because I got to 1500 guests only a month and a half before the deadline.

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 709