Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292775 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #3360 on: October 22, 2014, 06:06:41 pm »

Wolf's are incredible  beginner ship.
They're a great addition to any fleet. Perfect mid build for cleaning up all kinds of pirates and small Heg fleets is 2-4 Wolves, a light cruiser, plus one carrier/1-2 destroyers.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: October 22, 2014, 08:44:38 pm »

My squad is at some factory chatting with a general, when it gets attacked. My scout rushes out the front door to check it out... and almost walks face first into 12+ enemy soldiers all clumped up outside.

He nopes back inside (thankfully without being detected), and I proceed sneak my grenadier downstairs. I then make him run out the front door and throw all the grenades.

He manages to blow up all the solders (except a few who are on the other side of the map) in a single turn. What was (I assume) supposed to be a hard, drawn out fight was basically over in a single round without any of them getting a shot off.

Silent Storm.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: October 22, 2014, 09:08:45 pm »

Through a series of airstrikes, airborne kaskrin drops, ogryn reinforcements and a leman russ giving covering fire, I managed to extract the 60 imperial conscripts from an UTTER FAILURE and back to my base for the medics. Suck it Tau.

They all lived to the end of the game too.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: October 22, 2014, 11:07:18 pm »

I would NOT have put that much effort into saving those conscripts. They should have been left in UTTER FAILURE to force the Tau into wasting ammo!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: October 23, 2014, 12:01:41 am »

Through a series of airstrikes, airborne kaskrin drops, ogryn reinforcements and a leman russ giving covering fire, I managed to extract the 60 imperial conscripts from an UTTER FAILURE and back to my base for the medics. Suck it Tau.

This smells more like an add-on to DoW: Soulstorm o_O
Details? :D

RA2: Yuri's Revenge. Soviet Campaign.

For those who know RA2 (before Yuri's Revenge came out), there's this one Allied mission where you protect Einstein's Lab and the Chronosphere for an allotted amount of time.

That mission in RA2: YR, in the Soviet Campaign? You become the Soviet 'aggressors' instead, due to time shenanigans.
How I beat it on the hardest difficulty, easy?

Sent all starting troops (after destroying the perimeter bases which is a guarantee) using the perimeter of the map traveling from NW > NE > SE to consolidate my forces. Made a quick improvised base using my MCV and trained a few troops to fit in the flak tracks for a hit and run, then sent my whole force from SE to the SW base.

The starting troop strength is high if you maneuver quickly. Won the game in around ~7-10(?) ish minutes compared to the par time of an hour(?) or so.

...Though this was due to tons of tactical and strategic experience in playing RA2 for a lot of my childhood >_> yeah...that's one of the few games I had on my (borrowed) computer from my brother.

...This was also before discovering there were actual guides to missions online! >:I
Didn't have internet back then. mmph.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: October 23, 2014, 12:25:54 am »

I would NOT have put that much effort into saving those conscripts. They should have been left in UTTER FAILURE to force the Tau into wasting ammo!

I try to save as many of my guys as possible as a self-imposed challenge.

This smells more like an add-on to DoW: Soulstorm o_O
Details? :D

Its a lovely mod that makes it from a minor skirmish to a full blown war. Hundreds and hundreds of models in play at once, in a space marine VS space marine match. Even more for zergrush factions like IG... It also adds a lot more customization. I have spec op squads with poison knives backstabbing daemons as IG, Chaos Cultists praising Slaneesh as His daemons seduce and murder space marines and orks all screaming WAAAAAGH! at once to demoralize every single enemy on the entire map.

oh yeah

titans

« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 12:28:30 am by Aedel »
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: October 24, 2014, 07:51:09 am »

Bribed the largest Papal army, resulting in Excommunication(I thought I was aleady), and a strong foothold in Italy. It cost me about 1/3 of my immense treasury, but I literally had nothing else to spend my gold on. Within a decade, he Papacy fell.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: October 24, 2014, 07:57:00 am »

Bribed the largest Papal army, resulting in Excommunication(I thought I was aleady), and a strong foothold in Italy. It cost me about 1/3 of my immense treasury, but I literally had nothing else to spend my gold on. Within a decade, he Papacy fell.

Read that as paypal originally. I thought you'd found some strange internet RTS.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3368 on: October 24, 2014, 12:31:46 pm »

This is a German heavy sMG 42 squad. With the heavy tripod and two men assisting, the gun becomes extremely efficient, able to maintain a steady rate of fire without sacrificing accuracy even at extreme ranges, and the extra loader makes sighting and retargeting almost instantaneous. The attached riflemen can keep the enemy suppressed between reloads and the extra pairs of eyes means the squad will rarely fail to spot a target. The gunner's name is Krause.

The MG is set up on the east bank of a river, which is spanned by a bridge, facing directly west toward where the American airborne are marching in from Drop Zone N. Their scouts spot the other two light MG teams, and accurate mortar fire quickly takes them out. The Americans try to drop shells on the heavy MG when they spot that but the team dug trenches before the battle and resist all attempts to be dislodged by artillery.

The Americans try to push across open ground to the bank.

Spoiler: Result (click to show/hide)

Krause killed more than 32 men himself, including: two bazooka teams, a whole section of engineers, one whole rifle team, half their platoon HQ, and half of two other rifle teams.

Quote from: Later
[09:12]   GUNINsorta_away   yeah. krause got shot in the face, then someone else took the gun and he got shot, then one of the loaders was killed and a rifleman was wounded. it all happened in moments because [an American] rifle team snuck down the bank close enough to hit them
[09:13]   GUNINsorta_away   the US is left with a two full strength rifle teams, a .30 MG team, a 60mm mortar, a team of engineers and their secondary platoon HQ squad
[09:14]   GUNINsorta_away   ive got two squads of riflemen, and the understrength sMG 42 squad (3 guys out of 7). we lost the other two MGs to mortars

Krause was a hero to his comrades, and his country. He was posthumously awarded three medals, including the Iron Cross for bravery and extreme valor.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: October 25, 2014, 11:24:51 am »

I wasn't ready for the Golden Horde showing up on my doorstep(my doorstep extends all the way from the British Isles to just north of Byzantium; I was in the middle of taking over Khazar when they appeared). That my longtime allies, the Hungarians, decided to stab me in the back(foolishly, their opening assault would have cost them their king if the game hadn't crashed)

However, I don't think the Golden Horde was ready for me not being ready for them. Paying florins out the ass to bribe their armies slowed them down. A force of 80 Mongolian Heavy Cavalry assaulted a wooden fort held by 200 Spearmen. During the assault 20 of the Mongolians died from arrows fired by the walls(apparently, the Vikings created walls that shoot arrows), and all but a small handful were torn up by the spearmen(total casualties: 56 of them, 58 of us). A major massive battle on the province of Khazar broke their most significant army. It would have dealt a harsh blow to Ogdai Khan himself if he hadn't run away before the battle. Unfortunately, I can't immediately get reinforcements there until I build a few more ships or drop them in Lithuania and march them across Eastern Europe, and the Horde seems to be creating new troops every turn(I can only make a new unit in a province every two turns).

Still, I've pushed the Horde back to about two territories and they're not attacking in force.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3370 on: October 25, 2014, 12:05:30 pm »

Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem
Wow, they are still making Close Combat games?

*checks wiki*

And Last Stand Arnhem is in fact A Bridge Too Far remake??
Sweeeeeet!
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3371 on: October 25, 2014, 12:10:21 pm »

Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem
Wow, they are still making Close Combat games?

*checks wiki*

And Last Stand Arnhem is in fact A Bridge Too Far remake??
Sweeeeeet!
Gateway to Caen is the latest one, that came out this year. Currently Slitherine is making a 3D Close Combat game which sounds bloody brilliant (at the sacrifice of multi-story buildings which sucks but still!).

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: October 26, 2014, 01:00:38 am »

Playing a bit of Terraria with my friend (would be "friends" but one guy is lame and had to leave). We did the Pumpkin Moon with the good old defensive beetle armor + spectre healing set combo. Here's how that ended up going for us:
That's about enough Horseman's Blades, Raven Staffs, Bat Scepters, Spider Eggs, and other drops to fill three chests completely. Also of note, we got 18 Mourning Wood trophies and 73 Pumpking trophies.

Vampire Knives still rock.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: October 26, 2014, 03:01:38 am »

Playing a bit of Terraria with my friend (would be "friends" but one guy is lame and had to leave). We did the Pumpkin Moon with the good old defensive beetle armor + spectre healing set combo. Here's how that ended up going for us:
That's about enough Horseman's Blades, Raven Staffs, Bat Scepters, Spider Eggs, and other drops to fill three chests completely. Also of note, we got 18 Mourning Wood trophies and 73 Pumpking trophies.

Vampire Knives still rock.
MOTHER OF GOD
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: October 26, 2014, 04:03:40 pm »

-snip-
I remember back in my childhood, my disc was scratched, so RA2 had a habit of occasionally crashing, and back then I didn't know of task manager so I had to shut down my whole computer to fix it.  Some missions were fine, but in others It would crash every 30 or so seconds.  So on that lab mission I had that problem as the allies.  This drove me to just launch an all out assault, using things like my MCV as a bullet sponge.  I managed to beat that mission in minutes. 

Playing Supreme Commander, since it was just on sale.  I had it in my childhood, but it required an online connection to start, which my computer didn't have.  I'm on the final Cybran mission, and I decided to go for the ultimate turtling strategy.  I built around 60-80 tier three engineers, and Created a huge series of power plants and fabricators.  Then I protected those with shields.  Once my base was secure from any immidiate damage, I started building my artillery.  Five guns, each protected by three generators, and defended by a shit ton of tier 2 turrets.  Then I added the experimental artillery gun for even more dakka.  I built up a large amount of rhino tanks and siege bots, and had them slowly advance down the map, my engineers right behind them building even more artillery guns, turrets, shields, and power plants, while my battleships provided slightly more direct fire support.  Eventually I lost a good chunk when they started sending out siege bot armies, along with things like entire squadrons of gunships. I threw the last of my siege bots and rhino tanks, 40 of the first and sixty of the second, into a last ditch assault on Black Sun.  They were completely annihilated, and I used my remaining troops to fortify my defense line.    Without battleships, I positioned my strategic missile subs around the enemy base, and had them start pounding it along with my main artillery guns.  Once I rebuilt my assault force, I launched a second assault... only to find that the entire enemy base has been flattened to the ground by my artillery. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 709