Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292842 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #3495 on: November 13, 2014, 09:09:07 pm »

The thing about humans is we're designed to be prey- after all, we don't really have claws, fangs or anything, but instead we went 'fuck that' and armed ourselves with spears and such.

What.

No, this is the exact opposite of how it worked. Humans are predators. We have binocular vision, omnivorous dentition, we're skilled at endurance hunting and working in packs, we have increased intelligence to anticipate prey behavior... The list goes on. We don't have big fangs or claws, yeah, but we are actually quite dangerous with our blunt striking fists if we choose to be. 

Edit:
Sorry, I misspoke. Humans are the apex predator of earth. We are outdone in detail, but we shine with our general ability. We are so predatory that we eat EVERYTHING living. :P

We're not just skilled at endurance hunting, we're one of the only animals that can cope with running long distances in 40C+ temperatures without stopping. It's partly why we were so successful.

As far as mammals go, we're unusually slow, but have unusually good endurance.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: November 14, 2014, 04:10:58 pm »

I invite you to have a match with Hyenas. I never said we weren't predators, I just said we were practically made to be prey.

As it is, Hyenas would be able to murder most people. They are faster than us at a short distance, can easily tear a number of wounds in us and such. Lions, too. And tigers...

If we're unarmed, once a predator comes at us there's little hope unless we can climb a tree or we've done a fair bit of martial arts training or boxing or the like. We can hunt most animals, but some can hunt us. And they can be rather good at it.
Hyenas don't exactly match up well to a pride of lions, either, but that doesn't make them "made to be prey".  Remember, adaptation of predators is not in itself intended to fight off other predators, but rather to collect and obtain food from prey animals.  Saying something is adapted to be a predator does not mean it can take on any other predator and win, but rather that it can successfully take on prey in an energy-efficient manner.  Baleen whales are adapted to predation, in their own fashion; the fact that sharks can take them on means nothing to that.

Also, are you talking about a single human, or a group of humans?  Humans adapted to modern life in which physical demands are very different in both style and degree from cursorial hunting, or those humans that still pursue active bush hunting in the cursorial style we would have used in the hunter-gatherer phase?  Because, to illustrate the importance of this question, if you take a single, naked human straight out of New York City and drop them in the bush, surrounded by a cackle of hungry hyenas, they will probably do about as well as a single hyena, declawed and detoothed, dropped in the middle of a school of hungry sharks.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: November 14, 2014, 06:14:46 pm »

Pretty sure the plural of shark is "frenzy".
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: November 14, 2014, 06:59:25 pm »

I derailed the thread. I apologize. Can we rerail this and take this discussion to the WTF thread? :)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: November 15, 2014, 10:30:36 am »

Assassin's Creed Unity - Rift Runs...
So a Rift Run is basiclly a timed collectathon, you need to run around collecting data until you have enough to locate a target that appears, reach them then finally get a nice score and get to the exit before time runs out. Its my second one, suddenly surprised that I wasn't alone and was rushing around chasing the second ghost player thinking it was the target, after realizing my mistake I rushed over to the target then started heading to the exit. In typical AC parkour problems of getting a little stuck in going down the timer starts to tick down to the 10sec count down. I start scrambling to the exit...
I make it out in an epic feeling "Your running out of time, 3, 2, 1!!!" Escaping on the 1....
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: November 15, 2014, 11:21:22 pm »

I remember one time wiping out a horde in cataclysm dda.

wearing a suit, a top hat, and a monocle, wielding a katana. The dapper swordsman. huehuehue
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

blazing glory

« Reply #3501 on: November 16, 2014, 12:02:08 am »

wearing a suit, a top hat, and a monocle, wielding a katana. The dapper swordsman. huehuehue

You should've used a rapier.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: November 16, 2014, 12:07:27 am »

You should've used a rapier.
I'll make sure to do that next time. c:
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: November 16, 2014, 02:15:49 pm »

Obtained a pokemon with pokerus.

Hell. Fuckin'. Yisssssss

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: November 16, 2014, 04:00:07 pm »

Whats the best Pokemons game with the least craziness?  You could substitute 'best' with 'hardest', and 'craziness' with 'weird fashion shows' or 'stupidly powerful steel magic'.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: November 16, 2014, 04:32:36 pm »

Probably HeartGold and SoulSilver? Maybe? I don't know about lack of powerful steel magic, but there's a shitton of legendaries to collect and there's no weird fashion shows :P

Actually, I don't think there has been for several games.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: November 16, 2014, 06:26:39 pm »

I've never gotten Pokérus.

I have gotten at least one shiny in every game I have, though. That's something.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: November 16, 2014, 08:24:22 pm »

Whats the best Pokemons game with the least craziness?  You could substitute 'best' with 'hardest', and 'craziness' with 'weird fashion shows' or 'stupidly powerful steel magic'.

Heart Gold/Soul Silver for the Nintendo DS, though it's hard to find except online. X/Y is by far the easiest. B2/W2 have an option to set the difficulty higher, but you need to talk with the opposite cartridge to do so. All of them but X/Y have 'weird fashion shows', and from Gen IV onwards, Steel type gets all sorts of cool magic-y moves like:

- Flash Cannon (Solid option for a lot of steel type users of Sp.Atk)
- Mirror Shot (Damage + 30% chance to reduce enemy accurac)
- Doom Desire (Future Sight, but Steel, and more powerful. Only Jirachi and Smeargle have access to it, though.)
- Gyro Ball (Slower you are, more damage you deal. Very good for steel types, who with some exceptions are very slow, especially Curse users like Ferrothorn from Gen V.)
- Magnet Bomb (Swift, but Steel type. 60 power, cannot miss).
- Metal Burst (Like Counter and Magic Coat rolled into one, but doesn't force the user to go last so it doesn't work as reliably as counter or magic coat. Deal 2x the damage you just received back to the foe.)

I've never gotten Pokérus.

I have gotten at least one shiny in every game I have, though. That's something.

I got Pokerus from Wonder Trade, and I'm trying to spread it to some of my other pokemon. I've only ever gotten two shinies on my own though. Shiny Machop (that became a Machamp) in Platinum, and a Shiny Delibird in X.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: November 16, 2014, 09:51:45 pm »

Heart Gold/Soul Silver for the Nintendo DS, though it's hard to find except online. X/Y is by far the easiest. B2/W2 have an option to set the difficulty higher, but you need to talk with the opposite cartridge to do so. All of them but X/Y have 'weird fashion shows', and from Gen IV onwards, Steel type gets all sorts of cool magic-y moves like:
-snip-
"Weird fashion shows"? The only real one I can think of was B2W2 unless you count the odd one-off strangely-dressed character, which is basically a series staple.

As for being the hardest, if you're willing to emulate it or have a Game Boy and a million bucks, Red/Blue were from back in the day when Nintendo was still coming off of its Nintendo Hard surge (think LTTP and Super Mario World-era) and had gems like how your opponents never run out of PP and the ease of accidentally activating a minor bug.

Best, in my opinion, depends on a few factors. If you like the "subtler" qualities of a game, like music and the real meaning of the story, BW is the way to go. If you're looking for the game's feel or graphics, I'd have to recommend X/Y or the Hoenn games (note: I can't say anything about the up-and-coming ORAS [DAWN OF THE NEGATIVE SECOND DAY], but Gen III was pretty solid.) If you're a sucker for gameplay, I'd have to go with Reudh on HGSS.

Daily OWNAGE:
Thanks, DLC map! Money won't be a problem anymore!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: November 17, 2014, 10:25:45 am »

Thanks, tho.  I actually have the originals somewhere, and I may get around to trying the new ones.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:57:31 am by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 709