Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 709

Author Topic: How did you last *own*?  (Read 1292539 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last *own*?
« Reply #7365 on: March 31, 2017, 02:44:55 pm »

Finished Lyn's story without any losses.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7366 on: March 31, 2017, 03:44:13 pm »

After owning this game for... geez, years, I finally looped twice in one run!  I finally see the light as to why Horror is overpowered.  (to be fair to myself, I mostly focused on reliably beating the main game rather than lategame stuff)

I beat the entire second loop with a recycle gland hyper rifle, and a boiling veins hyper launcher (which was swapped out for a auto heavy crossbow at one point, and then swapped back).  My bacon was saved several times by firing the hyper rifle and horror's ridiculous upgraded beam at the same time, forming a laser of death that both destroyed enemy projectiles and annihilated everything in its path.  I also had strong spirit and used the healing part of the beam + crown of protection to constantly top myself off.  For the throne fight I ditched my hyper rifle for an ultra shovel, the first ultra weapon I've ever had.

The run probably could have continued except that in the first area of desert I got rammed by the second IDPD van that gets added on loop, and then walked into an inspector's projectile because it was on its last couple frames and I thought it was already despawned.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7367 on: March 31, 2017, 06:24:19 pm »

I was playing on the easiest setting and still dealing with massive losses. I reloaded several full squad wipes, but the turnover rate for troops was already about two missions. I did manage to capture an ethereal, so I put ten soldiers in training. Nine died within a week or two (I'd have kept them all at a base but if I did I'd have no soldiers to fight - I had an almost constant manpower shortage) but the last one was only wounded so he made it all the way.

Now I'm having fun making the aliens scout for me and then drop live grenades at their own feet. I've lost, what, two or three soldiers over the course of two months?

Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #7368 on: April 01, 2017, 10:38:36 am »

Wait, soldiers die during Psi training?

somemildmanneredidiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7369 on: April 01, 2017, 12:23:42 pm »

I think they were deploying those soldiers in the field during the training due to the manpower issues.
"As to why you'd want to [throw your sword in combat] at all? The answer is pretty simple: There's someone you want to stab, but they're all the way over there, and walking is for peasants." - Starke of How To Fight Write

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7370 on: April 01, 2017, 12:29:41 pm »

I've been practicing using Sniper in Mann vs Machine a lot, and I've gotten pretty good, so I decided I'd try an advanced mission. I got matched up with a pretty skilled team, and we got through the whole thing together without losing a round.

It started out slow, but I was able to rack up a very high amount of damage by putting a lot of points into explosive headshots, then basically only ever aiming for giants or whoever happened to be holding the bomb, with the area-of-effect damage killing everyone else surrounding them.

Midway through the round, I was standing on a very thin barrier on the top of a building overlooking the entrance. The Engineer, who was pretty much leading the team, used his sentry to shoot rockets at his feet, causing him to soar off of the roof of the building he was standing on, somehow managing to land directly next to me despite the stupidly large distance between us and the small size of the object I was perched on top of. Apparently he thought I was doing pretty good, because he simply said "Nice shot!" and gave me a high five. His distant sentry then shot another rocket at his feet, and he flew back over to his building.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7371 on: April 01, 2017, 04:21:05 pm »

My Carbink got into a fail-fest against an Absol, both of us having only a single attack move and both being hilariously ineffective - Carbink's Power Gem missing due to Absol spamming Double Team, and the faster Absol's Payback being used on a Carbink(which has Rest). So it came down to who ran out of PP for everything else. Carbink got there first, and so began the Struggle - which so happens to be a guaranteed hit, didn't know that.

The same turn Carbink KO'd Absol with Struggle, it fainted from recoil, a mutual kill.

...Except that I still had two Pokemon in reserve and Carbink had already dealt with the opponent's Houndoom and Darmanitan. And the only reason I didn't switch to Mawile and Twinkle Tackle Absol's ass into the next life was because one of Absol's other moves was Mean Look.

Tanks are fun.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7372 on: April 02, 2017, 03:06:39 pm »

I finally, finally beat Chapter 10: Ninja Village Hell on Hard. It must have taken at least 20 tries. Stupid Ninja and their stupid debuff...

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Black lives matter.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7373 on: April 02, 2017, 04:13:59 pm »

I reached the sewers... on hard mode.  For reference: its like looping, but with no vans, no mutations, and slower than normal weapon progression.

How the fuck am I supposed to beat ball mom with an assault rifle and a slugger?  I came in with 150 bullets and 50 shells, I left with 0 bullets, 14 shells, and she was not dead yet.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7374 on: April 02, 2017, 10:29:09 pm »

It's surprisingly difficult to keep up a chain when one of the summoned Pokemon will do its level best to murder the other ones.  No, I don't care how hungry they get; the Mareanie cannot eat the Corsola until I finally manage to attract one with the right ability.  That said, I finally succeeded in catching a Mareanie with its hidden ability Regenerator in a Love Ball.

Now, I just have to remember why I wanted to do this in the first place.
EDIT: In retrospect, though, intentionally crippling a Corsola with False Swipe and letting its cries for help attract predators, which I then proceed to pile up like driftwood, is actually pretty darn sociopathic, even for Pokemon.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:32:08 pm by Culise »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #7375 on: April 03, 2017, 04:05:27 am »

Greece suddenly attacked me and sent a huge army of hoplites, two regiments of peasants, and a really badly damaged general unit who got killed while charging at my Equites. Hoplites were hard to beat and killed a lot of my men, but I managed to defeat them by using bait-and-switch tactics. Now I have plans for retribution against the Greeks.

Notes/Off-Topic: Man, phalanxes are so strong in this game, they murder the shit out of every regiment which happened to be in front of them. BTW, what is the optimal price for selling the map? I try to 1500-2000 dinars, nobody buys it. I try 800 dinars, they say it's too generous.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7376 on: April 03, 2017, 01:42:42 pm »

It's surprisingly difficult to keep up a chain when one of the summoned Pokemon will do its level best to murder the other ones.  No, I don't care how hungry they get; the Mareanie cannot eat the Corsola until I finally manage to attract one with the right ability.  That said, I finally succeeded in catching a Mareanie with its hidden ability Regenerator in a Love Ball.

Now, I just have to remember why I wanted to do this in the first place.
EDIT: In retrospect, though, intentionally crippling a Corsola with False Swipe and letting its cries for help attract predators, which I then proceed to pile up like driftwood, is actually pretty darn sociopathic, even for Pokemon.
Oh don't worry, it's even worse when drawn in detail.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

jax3639

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_BARE_HANDS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7377 on: April 05, 2017, 01:27:39 pm »

(Rain World)

prepped by gathering bombs and bomb spears

Lured a vulture in with a grub

didn't know bombs set off other bombs

flew across the screen

survived (somehow)

looted skull mask off of smoking vulture corpse

Dragon lizard comes by, looks at me, and runs away
The bag weighs twice my dwarf right now, containing nothin but guts, vomit, and a dead kobold.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7378 on: April 08, 2017, 09:23:59 pm »

Took Vilnius from the Poles. While it wasn't a terrible fight, it was a bit more a clusterfuck than I'd have liked, largely due to the fact that you can't damage the gate-walls of city fortifications for some reason. Otherwise, I'd have been able to rain cannon fire into the center of the town. I had to send my troops into melee where they were completely surrounded and outnumbered... and they kicked ass. Having a large number of grenadiers while the best they had was line infantry and not a whole lot of them helps. Having bayonets while they don't also helps.

But that's not the end of it. Before I could recover my depleted troops, they send an even bigger army to lay siege to the city I just took. Seeing as this prevents troop replenishing and reinforcements weren't going to happen any time soon(the Russians were also attacking), I had to sally out. Outnumbered with ~1000 against ~1500, I ended up fighting the enemy off in several sorts of combat I usually don't find myself in - melee, using canister shot, that sort of thing. Despite heavy losses, the Polish were forced to retreat.

Then the Russians attacked. By this time, I had time to gather some reinforcements and catch their army outside the city. Ended up giving the Russian bear a bloody nose or two, giving time to consolidate and replenish my troops.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7379 on: April 08, 2017, 10:13:56 pm »

I beat XCOM: Enemy Unknown!

It was really anticlimactic. I've had regular abductions that were harder than the final mission, all things considered. I got banged up a bit but was never in danger of losing anybody, let alone outright failing the mission.

The ending wasn't great, but it was touching in its own way I suppose. It would have been more effective if any of the soldiers I actually cared about had been psionic.

Time to do Enemy Within, Ironman mode!

XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 10:19:37 pm by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 709