Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why doesn't the Dwarf race thrive?  (Read 7367 times)

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why doesn't the Dwarf race thrive?
« on: May 02, 2011, 12:22:05 pm »

Seems like every worldgen I piece together, Dwarfs get knocked off by beasts, wars, failure to look both ways before crossing, liver disease, etc.  Meanwhile, all other races are thriving by a factor of 1 Dwarf:10,000 Human (or elf, goblin, etc).

What's the deal, yo?
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Why doesn't the Dwarf race thrive?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 12:26:06 pm »

Because you're not using mods.  I have the opposite problem with the Dwarves from Genesis: After 1050 years, there are no more mountain spaces to embark on.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 12:33:31 pm »

This effect seems exponentially worse the more I crank up savagery and beasts too.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 12:55:53 pm »

This effect seems exponentially worse the more I crank up savagery and beasts too.

Considering that dwarves dislike savage territory and that megabeasts fuck over anyone, that should be expected.

I've never had a problem with any vanilla species getting knocked off during world gen or being at a significant disadvantage, Just generate large worlds. Then there's plenty of room for everyone.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 01:12:09 pm »

Dwarves are:
  • mortal
  • long-lived
  • physically weak (small)

This combination means that dwarves reproduce slowly, and are often at a disadvantage in wars and other conflicts. 

Dwarves also require food, but I don't think they engage in any type of farming during worldgen, so they rely entirely on imports from humans in order to survive.  This would mean that the starting points for any dwarven civ must be close to a human civ, because otherwise the dwarves will starve before trade is established. 

I think that whatever it is that's wrong will probably be fixed whenever dwarves get a site overhaul; so sometime before the end of the year most likely. 
where is up?

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 01:23:34 pm »

This combination means that dwarves reproduce slowly, and are often at a disadvantage in wars and other conflicts. 

Tell that to my dwarves - they won't stop popping out babies!  I've got one dwarf who gives birth 1/year like clockwork!

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 01:30:28 pm »

Dude, how many dwarves really manage to live to old age in your fortress?  In ANY Fortress?

Sure their military may eventually be able to turn away sieges, but you get ONE noble who loves slade...

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 01:31:47 pm »

Dude, how many dwarves really manage to live to old age in your fortress?  In ANY Fortress?

Sure their military may eventually be able to turn away sieges, but you get ONE noble who loves slade...
"Urist has set a mandate!"
"Urist mandated slade beds!"

:3

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 02:56:43 pm »

Tell that to my dwarves - they won't stop popping out babies!  I've got one dwarf who gives birth 1/year like clockwork!

Our fort's population was capped at 30...we now have enough children born and enough grow up to
trigger sieges.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 03:00:50 pm »

Fortress mothers and worldgen mothers are very different.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 03:14:46 pm »

Fortress mothers and worldgen mothers are very different.

That's true...I think you'd have to adjust the child cap in the init to make your population more comparable to the worldgen.  It is kind of cool to have two huge dynasties forming in my fortress, though.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 03:18:22 pm »

Urist has been crushed under the collapsing ceiling.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 03:23:22 pm »

Urist McConsort is throwing a tantrum!

Urist McFriend is throwing a tantrum!

A dog has been struck down!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 03:33:03 pm »

The spinning tantrum spiral strikes the fort in the population, jamming the anger through the farms!
The fortress is having trouble making enough food!
The spinning tantrum spiral strikes the fort in the morale, jamming the dwarves through the lengendary dining room!
The tantrum spiral strikes the fortress in the magmapipe, jamming the magma through the living area!

The fortress has been struck down.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 03:45:06 pm »

The spinning tantrum spiral strikes the fort in the population, jamming the anger through the farms!
The fortress is having trouble making enough food!
The spinning tantrum spiral strikes the fort in the morale, jamming the dwarves through the lengendary dining room!
The tantrum spiral strikes the fortress in the magmapipe, jamming the magma through the living area!

The fortress has been struck down.
Me: Magma? MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Overseer cancels drink: drowning.
Pages: [1] 2