Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Colony Command - Recruiting for a game team - Need many roles filled  (Read 7504 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Command - Recruiting for a game team - Need many roles filled
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 03:40:04 am »

Oh, and as far as sound goes, for effects, this site will make your life easy.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 03:46:25 am »

I could certainly take a whack at sprite-making myself.  Hell, I actually got into pixel art 15 years ago, making mock-ups of a "Missile Command" inspired dreamgame.  That said, a few questions need to be answered.

If you're going to have multiple artists, how exactly would we reconcile the different art styles?  What kind of style are you going for?

What sort of limitations are you working with?  Is this Flash-based, or what?  I mainly ask because I work vastly better with a limited pallet than I do with unlimited color, and that leads back to the style.

You mentioned a "financial" guy; are you planning on charging money for this?  Given that there are commercial Missile Command clones, that probably wouldn't be overtly dangerous, but it does raise the question of compensation.

By the way, according to Wikipedia's Missile Command article, there may be a Missile Command: The Movie in the works.  God knows why.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 03:49:16 am »

Well the first post said it will most likely to JavaScript, and if that is the case I'm going to leave to code up to the programmers involved. I wouldn't make a game out of JS for all the hookers is Huston! But if they can do it, kudos to them.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 03:58:24 am »

I love the look of this little landscape.  Could certainly look into using things like that in the background, since provided it wasn't distracting it'd be nice to have background skies that you could switch around.

I'm Content Directing, so if we have multiple artists I'll be talking with all of them.  When we do settle on a style we're happy with, we'll draw up a sort of basic manual of style and work along those lines.  There should be plenty enough room for creativity, but it'll stop us suddenly mixing retro sprites with pre-rendered 3D or something like that.

We're looking at web-based, so possibly Flash or JavaScript.  We haven't reached a decision on the code for certain, but I reckon the coder (Glyph) has a pretty good idea.  I think a limited palette might be used if we stick to the kind of style that's been favoured, so that'd be part of the whole Manual of Style thing.

Forsaken is the guy to speak to about money, and this is to be done as a business, but all I can tell you is that right now nobody's getting paid at the start.  We'll be discussing that internally very soon, but I daresay we will all get compensated for our work.  When and how will be discussed internally.

...are you sure that wasn't like Minecraft: The Movie?  =D
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 04:04:05 am »

We're looking at web-based, so possibly Flash or JavaScriptJava.

Fix'd. No really, I know JS has come a long way, but it's primary focus as a language is to do some data handling, maybe some regex checking if your lazy, and then send a form to a server. It isn't a powerful language, and doesn't have the same support that either Java or Flash have.

Also, thanks. I like that cloud.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 04:05:10 am »

I can do writing me! Though doing anything big like lore or story would be a little difficult as I'll be constantly asking questions to whether "Dose this fit in?" "Is this too waky?" "Am I even on the same track as you guys? <w>"

Small things like mission briefings, item descriptions and the like I can do though.

Commitment is a little iffy, free time kinda jumps around the place but I can easily put in some hours in a week to writing stuff.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 04:11:21 am »

IronyOwl, I haven't overlooked you. I will send you and Metal Militia a PM shortly with a little homework. ^.^

While several of our team members have writing experience, we could certainly benefit from a dedicated writer.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 04:14:47 am »

See, when I saw people offering to be "writers", I figured that was "spit-balling ideas that will never be used".  Didn't even occur to me, even after reading the OP, that what that meant was the gobs and gobs and gobs of flavor text that goes into a game-manual and interface and such.  I figured it was just going to be an arcade game, with a minimum of text, but that's my mistake.

Put me on the writer list, if you would.  Flavor text, instructions and tutorials, and entertainingly-mechanical descriptions is some of my best work.  And believe me, I can commit some time.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 04:16:34 am »

Fix'd. No really, I know JS has come a long way, but it's primary focus as a language is to do some data handling, maybe some regex checking if your lazy, and then send a form to a server. It isn't a powerful language, and doesn't have the same support that either Java or Flash have.

I'd recommend Flash for something like this as it's intended to be run browser like, however that would mean I couldn't help much. If you need some javascript or even java done I can probably free up some time to get you something useful, my actionscipt is weak though.

Although another option might be webgl if javascript is a must.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 04:18:06 am »

See, when I saw people offering to be "writers", I figured that was "spit-balling ideas that will never be used".  Didn't even occur to me, even after reading the OP, that what that meant was the gobs and gobs and gobs of flavor text that goes into a game-manual and interface and such.  I figured it was just going to be an arcade game, with a minimum of text, but that's my mistake.

Put me on the writer list, if you would.  Flavor text, instructions and tutorials, and entertainingly-mechanical descriptions is some of my best work.  And believe me, I can commit some time.
I'll include you as well then. And yes, we will need a -LOT- of writing done if we're to meet the scope we're currently looking at. Details will come if/when we get your samples (which I'll be asking for via PM) and like your work. Obviously we don't want to make too much public at this point.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2011, 04:20:45 am »

Sample of work.
I am able to write, if we start getting under pressure. I already have a role, and it seems writers are not in short demand, but just in case all safety nets fail.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2011, 04:24:43 am »

Oh that reminds me, I've written a bit of a story on the forum, I had to stop it as time disappeared when I was writing it.

I'll be picking it up again soon though.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2011, 04:47:27 am »

Yeah, you guys know how much I love fluff.  Whilst we don't necessarily want to over-saturate the gameplay with story, I want to try and work plot into this and maybe even some character development.  Good fluff strengthens the replay value of a game extensively.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2011, 08:44:56 am »

Max, have you seen the sort of games that have been built with HTML5? Some of them are pretty impressive! The new canvas tool is quite nice,  Hell, they've rebuilt FreeCiv in it! It has come a long way. (Though I haven't played it yet)

Still, we're not committed to it. It IS important its web based, but beyond that there are plenty of acceptable technologies. Heck, there's been arguments on the team that maybe we should limit the scope, adopt a different business model and release it as a tablet app, which I think are Java and Objective C predominantly, though I'm not sure.

I think web is the better choice for now, but we'll see once we've got a good handle on who we've got willing to program. There's definitely a lot of fun things that could be done with something like this on a Tablet, that's for sure.

If you're going to have multiple artists, how exactly would we reconcile the different art styles?  What kind of style are you going for?
I'd imagine additional artists, if we go with them, would likely be managed by Iituem or whoever our main artist is as far as creating stuff that fits the style. With the expected length of our dev cycle, though, I honestly imagine that a single artist would probably be enough for something like this, but then - I'm not the artist.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 08:51:00 am by GlyphGryph »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2011, 08:47:01 am »

Well, like I said, if the programmer(s) think they can do it, I'm 100% behind them!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8