Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169171 times)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2011, 03:46:10 am »

Quote from: Threetoe
Right now all you have to do is hit them with a shovel.

But... but... there are no shovels in the game! *panics*

Isn't it obvious?  Threetoe has betrayed his brother and has started playing Minecraft.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 15, 2011, 04:06:55 am »

1. What about necromancers will allow them to raise things? Will they make some sort of magic object which simply raises any dead in the area? Will they use some sort of nebulous power thats inherent to them? Will they be somehow able to raise themselves if they die, such as a Lich.
We already know all this from the devlog. They discover a secret, either directly from a death god, or indirectly through a slab engraved by a previous necromancer. If lichdom were going on, I imagine he'd have mentioned it.

Yes, we know the "secret" thing, but what will this secret involve? Will it allow them to create something to raise the dead with or will they just kind of do it. Will that vary?
They know the secret, and then they can raise the dead. There's no intermediate step. Maybe there will be in the future, but if Toady had added items that could raise the dead he would have said so.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 15, 2011, 06:34:58 am »

Will brewing continue to make liquid out of nowhere?
This one just puzzles me at the moment.
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2011, 06:47:51 am »

Will brewing continue to make liquid out of nowhere?
This one just puzzles me at the moment.
I believe it's intended to require water at some point. Unless I'm mistaken, a lot of additional complication in the requirements for making things is intended after hauling rewrites.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2011, 07:26:21 am »

So how many people are trying to work out the best way of weaponising these necromancer fellows?

If they can be caught in cages that might make it simple (assuming your cages don't get filled up by the zombie fodder) Begins plans for a goblin zombie mosh pit.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 15, 2011, 07:27:09 am »

I'm just excited because it sounds like the night creature tangent is complete and then the finishing touches on the city maps will be made. My hope for a new version(and with the two week bugfixes) just in time for the summer might come true!
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2011, 10:56:30 am »

I'm just excited because it sounds like the night creature tangent is complete
It's almost certainly not. Toady has said that he wanted to do mummy-like undead after the necromancers, and were-beasts and vampires and phantoms have all been mentioned as likely inclusions, but he made absolutely no mention that he has done any work on them yet. Especially were-beasts certainly are more challenging than "boring loose ends that have piled up". More likely ThreeToe refers to small stuff that needs to be updated or things that need to be fixed, or maybe some raw tag extensions that aren't important enough to mention yet. I'd say we might be on night creatures for two, maybe just one, weeks still.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2011, 11:21:24 am »

Though, during those 1-2 weeks we should have a stream of devlogs. These, I assume, will taper off as he gets back into the grind of markets so there will be a time of relative silence before the release.

I hope I am wrong, as I would be interested in reading about the pitfalls of trying to program markets. However, I have history on my side. Damn history.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 15, 2011, 11:28:44 am »

This release will be great, Adventure Mode finally becomes a real game. I'm sure, all rogue-like fans out there will find them self unable to resist it's call...

but wait a minute... you guys are saying that we'll have to wait 2 weeks more? NOOOOOooooooo! I hope you're wrong o_o

Thank You Great Toady One for this wonderful game, and Daily Dev News are awesome too ;]
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 15, 2011, 12:06:38 pm »

I for one get heavily aroused when I think about how much can be added in next two weeks of intensive toady work
I don't need a signature.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2011, 12:10:16 pm »

Donate to show your appreciation fo the return of daily devlogs!

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2011, 01:06:30 pm »

I don't even have money to buy myself a new cellphone. ;_;
Also, I don't use PayPal.
I don't even play DF anymore because my PC is not good enough. :/
I don't need a signature.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2011, 02:49:20 pm »

Personally, I am in far greater anticipation of the actual caravan arc stuff, and the army arc stuff after it. This fancy undeath is all well and good, but I'd rather get economic and military stuff to play with sooner, and leave magic and slightly more compelling undeath until after the current dev page is taken care of. I do understand that this is the main portion of what Toady does with his time, and he does what he enjoys, and I don't begrudge him that. But I certainly don't want him to take time out for things like this for my sake, and I'd imagine I'm not alone in my preference there.
Couldn't agree more. Night creatures, secrets and so on are fun, and even Fun, but personally I'd like to get past-worldgen world advancement, with economy and at least basic military first. Static worlds are boring, and introducing enemies alone will not fix it.

Yeah, the necromancy and undead sound neat but when you look at them from the gamer's perspective, nothing will change at all. You had zombies before, you will have zombies now. Perhaps there will be zombie sieges which sounds cool at first but in mechanical terms they are pretty much the same as all other sieges. Adding new monsters and their abilities doesn't affect gameplay much, it's just a cosmetic (= world gen) change - you'll still play the same fortress mode as ever.

I'm not saying I'm not excited (I am!), I just agree with the sentiment that actual gameplay changes like the army arc (coming since 2006!) will be much, much more awesome.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2011, 03:00:45 pm »

well, zombie siege does has a twist if zombie killed creatures raises and join the siege.

also, they may raise other deaths so you may need to bury that pesky goblins squads and such.

but yes, basically is the same. but you may also say that of the combat rewrite, as internals are, indeed, internals.

but there will be the economics again, before the army arc. that will change a lot, too.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2011, 04:08:53 pm »

Actually, I think the long-term implications of the way spheres will interact with players and forts and such are much more exciting than merely having a few zombie attacks will be in the short-term.  We are starting off with a relatively mundane "more stuff that attacks on sight" type of effect, but think about when this gets expanded to cover things which we might have to find ways to negotiate either being with us or against us.  What if the antisocial creep in the tower next door isn't a necromancer, but has potentially beneficial, although potentially volatile magic powers? 

However, with that said, I'm probably most interested in the ways in which the cities and societies are going to be modeled to interact with one another.  The Caravan arc is chock-full of things I really would like to see implemented.  Having a procedurally generated world with procedurally generated towns full of citizens who go about their daily lives to run a simulated global economy almost makes my brain melt in anticipation.  Especially so if we start getting procedurally generated individual citizens with more dynamic personalities to populate those cities, so that they can be fun and organic to interact with on a personal level.

So basically, I like the magic stuff, I like the economics/social dynamics stuff, and the bugfixing that comes in between.  As far as the general arc of development goes, I'm more excited about where this game is going than I normally let myself get excited about any other game, it's just in a few of the details that I want to make some arguments one way or the other.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 298