Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169364 times)

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #615 on: May 30, 2011, 01:37:10 am »

Quote from: dev. log
I finally got myself transformed into a weregoat, pumped up with enough axe skill that I could bifurcate my attacker after the switch.
Were-creatures use weapons?

Quote from: dev. log
the strength of werebeasts against their non-weak materials isn't so crazy as to make it impossible to beat them if you get ambushed.
Will were-creatures heal fast?
Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 30, 2011, 02:00:54 am »

Nothing stops Giant Desert Scorpions from bisecting you with your own axe if they get a hold of it. What stops a werecreature that can grasp?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 30, 2011, 02:40:21 am »

I think what Toady meant was that he had a high enough axe skill to be able to not get killed shortly after receiving the cursed bite.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 30, 2011, 02:58:36 am »

Plus, he specifically said the lycanthrope curses don't take effect immediately.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 30, 2011, 04:17:49 am »

I just had a weird vision of an adventurer lopping the legs off a were-creature, hanging around for it to bite them, and then running away in glee.

I think this will happen a lot.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 30, 2011, 08:40:57 am »

Just looking around for pictures of a Were-Axolotl (because that would be so awesome it would cause multiple orgasms) and I stumbled over this thread:

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/showthread.php?p=173117

Take a look - might give some better visual ideas of what these mad were-creatures could look like :)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #621 on: May 30, 2011, 09:18:06 am »

So, how are wounds and missing limbs handled when you transform to something else?

If my left front hoof gets chopped off while i am transnfromed to weregoat, will i miss left hand when i get turned back to humanoid? What about more complex stuff ... like what if my military dwarf has broken leg with cast on it, broken arm with splint, bandaged and surtured hand? Will his were-self still have surtures is his transformed limb and wound and retain other medical stuff?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 30, 2011, 09:26:33 am »

If weres use the FB system, does this mean we can get weresauropods or wereblobs?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 30, 2011, 09:44:32 am »

Guys, er... why does everyone seem to suppose that the "animal forms" of lycanthropes are humanoid? It this some common modern fantasy trope?

As far as I know, lycanthropes are people who change to animals every full moon. You know... four legs, no hands... those kinds of animals? There's nothing in between. You are either a human, or a goat. There's no half goat/half human monstrosity. Lycanthropy doesn't work that way. As far as I know, mythological werewolves were always just big, nasty, hairy wolves - dangerous, sure, but still in an animal form. The half man-half wolf depictions come from D&D or whatever.

Well, Toady definitely said something along the lines that "with were-beings, I fortunately don't have to write code for partial transformations," so I suppose it works this way in DF too.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:46:39 am by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 30, 2011, 10:54:37 am »

Yeah, I always wondered when werewolf starting meaning wolfman. Probably the movie the Wolfman. I'm pretty sure in the original movie the titular Wolfman character was attacked by a werewolf (that looked like a wolf), but either because he was carrying a silver cane or because he killed the werewolf, the curse didn't transfer correctly.

I always imagined were-creature looking basically like their animal counterparts, but with little things to tell they are not exactly the normal creature. (For example, a fifth claw on a creature that normal has on four. Razor claws and teeth even if the base animal doesn't have it. Red eyes, maybe. Increased size.) I imagine little subtle differences are probably a ways off since they might be tough to include in transforms, but that doesn't stop me from using that as my mental depiction of a were-creature either.

Either way a distant and far cry calls out to me. I must have at least on adventurer become a werechicken.  Buk buk buk cooooooooo!
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 30, 2011, 01:06:54 pm »

Well, we already have a werewolf in the game, but without any kind of curse.

If they don't look any different, they how could you tell a were-beast from a regular beast?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 30, 2011, 01:17:21 pm »

Well, we already have a werewolf in the game, but without any kind of curse.

If they don't look any different, they how could you tell a were-beast from a regular beast?

Yeah, the same way we used to have a non-random, humanoid Titan before the procedurally generated Titans got put in.

I'm pretty sure cursed were-creatures will use that brown N with a ~ on the top like in that post by Threetoe in the devlog or at least flash between it and a letter specific to the type of critter.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #627 on: May 30, 2011, 01:37:06 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werewolf

Evidently they've been half-wolf/half-man since the 1700's.

Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 30, 2011, 02:02:14 pm »

The image on the werewolf article is a bit more bestial than the image at the werecat article. That said, the idea of contagious weres and harmful silver are apparently nearly as modern as the popular wolf man image, so I don't think it's a problem to have humanoid weres. Ideally, we'd be able to get both weres with an animal form and weres with anthropomorphic forms, as well as weres with access to both forms... but that would probably delay the release too much.

If weres use the FB system, does this mean we can get weresauropods or wereblobs?
I doubt we'll get wereblobs, which sit along with humanoid and quadruped in the list (werehumanoid?), but weresauropods should be fair game along with werechickens, weretheropds, and werehares.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 30, 2011, 04:11:11 pm »

^^Really, a lot of this kind of folklore is newer than people believe.

Personally, I would rather have full-transformation curses for any creature than hybrid forms only for the one Toady went out of his way to create.

^I doubt we can have people transforming into creatures that don't have full entries in the game even if they can be in the description for a forgotten beast.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 298