Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169372 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #660 on: May 31, 2011, 02:47:22 pm »

I get the feeling from the main page that werecreatures in dwarf mode will be hostile to everyone and everything.

EDIT: I was wrong!  I just got to the point in the DF Talk where he states that weregoats don't attack weregoats, but werelions might attack weremaggots.

Oh yeah. This is gonna be awesome, if a bit problematic when the kobolds show up with silver daggers and shit.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 31, 2011, 02:50:29 pm »

I get the feeling from the main page that werecreatures in dwarf mode will be hostile to everyone and everything.

EDIT: I was wrong!  I just got to the point in the DF Talk where he states that weregoats don't attack weregoats, but werelions might attack weremaggots.

I think you'd have to have a few non-cursed dwarves or at full moon your population will be zero. Other than that that I can see a whole new era in weaponised monsters, both undead and werecreatures.

The only problem would be trying to deliberately infect dwarves without them getting killed.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 31, 2011, 03:00:18 pm »

I think you'd have to have a few non-cursed dwarves or at full moon your population will be zero. Other than that that I can see a whole new era in weaponised monsters, both undead and werecreatures.

The only problem would be trying to deliberately infect dwarves without them getting killed.

Drop a "control" were-creature from a height sufficient to break most of its bones, but leave it alive. Introduce test subjects, unarmed, unarmored. Test subjects should receive bites/scratches but are unlikely to receive mortal wounds from the Were before somebody kicks its face in. Repeat as necessary.

If it is necessary to preserve a single dwarf, it should be easy to accomplish- it could even be automatic with judicious application of the military schedules screen and sufficiently advanced Dwarven Engineering. I predict that somebody will make a mechanical calendar in-game that displays the phases of the moon, which then can be linked to a safe room that will trigger just before the moon is full.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 31, 2011, 03:33:22 pm »

If a necromancer animates a severed hand, will you have to hack off all its fingers to remove its "graspers" and kill it?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 31, 2011, 03:34:38 pm »

I imagine you'd just have to destroy the hand itself.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 31, 2011, 04:14:51 pm »

Hmm, the list of night creature types from the podcast sounded pretty interesting.

Will the dark blue night creatures include things that try to lure you to rivers and other bodies of water and drown you?

Those are pretty common in mythology and folklore. Ranging from things pretending to be horses and jumping into the river to drown you when you ride them to things that pose as an attractive member of the opposite sex inviting you for a swim.

Though i guess it's kind of a toss up whether those count as 'night creatures' or not.

Edit: Also, can anyone think of any examples of 'generic intelligent undead' in media/folklore? I'm having a little trouble trying to imagine what they'd be like.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 04:22:44 pm by Neoskel »
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 31, 2011, 04:40:44 pm »

Those are pretty common in mythology and folklore. Ranging from things pretending to be horses and jumping into the river to drown you when you ride them to things that pose as an attractive member of the opposite sex inviting you for a swim.
Or in Swedish(/Scandinavian) folklore, where it's a naked troll sitting in the river playing his.. fiddle... :-\
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 31, 2011, 04:44:59 pm »

Can you talk a little bit more about ghosts Toady? Where they show up in adventure mode right now, what they can do there, or what they'll do in the future?

In the rush of all these Night Creatures, and the fact they've been here a while in fortress mode, ghosts kind of slipped under the radar in terms of the next release.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 31, 2011, 04:48:31 pm »

Edit: Also, can anyone think of any examples of 'generic intelligent undead' in media/folklore? I'm having a little trouble trying to imagine what they'd be like.
I'm taking it to mean things like D&D liches and death knights, or Koschei the Deathless, achieving immortality without necessarily going out to animate the dead, or possibly D&D ghouls and wights (assuming those don't count among the animated dead) or bodaks (who might fall into the stalker category instead). Basically anything undead that doesn't definitely fall into the other categories. I guess it could be expanded into creatures like the rokurikubi if those don't fall into tweaked troll/hag behavior.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 31, 2011, 05:13:34 pm »

There are the revenants, undead that refuse to die to settle matters unsolved in life.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 31, 2011, 05:13:43 pm »

You mentioned stalkers will have traits related to their deaths. Is this likely to be related to the gruesome executions that currently happen in worldgen, or will it mostly be new stuff?

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 31, 2011, 06:14:18 pm »

If a werecreature is wearing clothing of the material they're week to when transforming, will it hurt them?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 31, 2011, 06:18:30 pm »

Toady mentions "material force adjustments" as the basis for weaknesses/strengths; I infer this to mean that an attack is treated as having more or less force than it actually does when it's of a relevant material. So yeah, I doubt simply touching a material will harm it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 31, 2011, 09:31:38 pm »

If a dwarf learns the secret of life and death from his or her deity, will they be able to migrate to your fortress and become a warrior that can re-animate body parts during combat one day?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 31, 2011, 09:34:27 pm »

If a dwarf learns the secret of life and death from his or her deity, will they be able to migrate to your fortress and become a warrior that can re-animate body parts during combat one day?

I think this might go under wizards and the magic arc.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 298