Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1167047 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #975 on: June 12, 2011, 12:40:12 am »

nah, he said he's gonna try to make new tags for pretty much all of them.
The latest devlog seems to imply otherwise.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 12, 2011, 01:22:12 am »

There are some animals in the list that wouldn't need any new tags.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: June 12, 2011, 01:28:58 am »

nah, he said he's gonna try to make new tags for pretty much all of them.
The latest devlog seems to imply otherwise.
From the sound of the devlog he may tone it down a bit, but he might make tags that benefit more than one creature (for example: armadillos, turtles, hedgehogs, etc all have a tendency to roll up in a ball or compress themselves, so a tag that allows a creature to enter a defense mode might be in order), but a tag that only affects specific animals might be too much (ex: a hedgehog's tendency to spread poison on their quills (which hedgehogs currently lack quills anyway)). So basically, the more common tags might have priority.  I imagine he wouldn't do something as elaborate as honey industry again, either for the time being.

Ultimately though, he's been working on the extra creatures on the side and they have for the most part been non-intrusive to the project. It sounds he going to work on them as weekend projects now. I'd say the way Toady works, he's probably going to get it done anyway.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: June 12, 2011, 02:24:15 am »

Well if your not going to actually use the animal then there was no point in including it in the drive for the most part.

Though I am confused. So Toady actually has to create by hand every Beastman and every Werebeast? I thought it was a template creature.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 12, 2011, 02:30:59 am »

I gues most of it goes by template but toady has to check if the transition between the animal and the template-creature works without messing the new tags up.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: June 12, 2011, 02:33:10 am »

I gues most of it goes by template but toady has to check if the transition between the animal and the template-creature works without messing the new tags up.

I checked it, from what I understand it is sort of a mix of both.

In order for an animalman to be capable of appearing it needs to be in the raws. In the lets say "Donkey Animalman" section you would need new raws just for the donkey animalman, but there would be shortcuts.

Here it the Platypus man raw as an example

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also after checking the raws on a Platypus I found something odd. I thought only the males had venom.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:36:58 am by Neonivek »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 12, 2011, 03:44:37 am »

Also after checking the raws on a Platypus I found something odd. I thought only the males had venom.
The same is true in the raws. Well, the way creature materials work, females technically do have the venom as well, but only the male has an attack to inject it.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 12, 2011, 03:45:56 am »

The same is true in the raws. Well, the way creature materials work, females technically do have the venom as well, but only the male has an attack to inject it.

Hmm... redundant organs huh?

Also when I thought about it...

Animalmen who are "builder" insects should go by different tags. Namely Bees, Termites, Ants, and Me! (kidding!)

Think Toady will finish the animalmen and werecreature of his current animals too?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:49:30 am by Neonivek »

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 12, 2011, 04:10:26 am »

Hmm, can squidmen breath under water?

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #984 on: June 12, 2011, 05:47:07 am »

Never really liked this animal drive thing, he's spending a lot of time on animals that may as well get replaced down the line by a more procedural animal production system.  Such as instead of having cows and bison we just have a bovine type that gets different traits based on it's biome and a few random doodads added.

And no I'm not just saying this because weasels aren't in yet.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 12, 2011, 05:53:24 am »

Oh well, at least I get to play as a squidman adventurer(a la Davy Jones), with an axe in each of my face-tentacles, hacking ten-plus people apart at once. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 12, 2011, 05:57:00 am »

Oh well, at least I get to play as a squidman adventurer(a la Davy Jones), with an axe in each of my face-tentacles, hacking ten-plus people apart at once. :)

Well I believe you have to mod.

I certainly look forward to the day when the sentient creatures are less bared to you.

In fact...

Toady, any plans for when are we going to be able to play the other non-(semi)megabeast sentiences in adventure mode? You added so many but so far only three are playable without modding, though not all of them may be what you envision as playable either

Pretty sure that has been asked though I have no way of filtering though it all. (no I am not asking for the next playable sentient)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 07:40:59 am by Neonivek »

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 12, 2011, 06:15:35 am »

like what we have now with the true type fonts support?

No, what i meant was the sharing of the symbols between the text interface (like the "prepare to the journey" screen) and the graphic tiles.
When using a tileset (I use phoebus') for example the male symbol is replaced with a bag, or the "<" with a staircase, and that can be misleading if you are in an interface screen. (The vanilla version obviously is not affected by this problem).

I'm sorry if I can't explain myself well, I'm not a native English speaker. (I put this on my signature as well)
The truetype font support does that. You can turn that on in init, though it's not really done yet because Baughn got a job part way through doing it.

I tried it and like you said it's a bit broken, but at least there is some kind of support, good to know! :)

I have some questions about the development cycle: The next release will be the "Caravan Arc Release 2" or it's unrelated and involves only night creatures and curses? There are other arcs that are overlapping with the caravan arc? (Some of you talk about a new army arc)

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 12, 2011, 06:52:28 am »

I have some questions about the development cycle: The next release will be the "Caravan Arc Release 2" or it's unrelated and involves only night creatures and curses? There are other arcs that are overlapping with the caravan arc? (Some of you talk about a new army arc)

Next release will be "Caravan Arc release 1." It is going to include new town maps and night creature stuff.
After that there'll be some bugfixing releases and then on to "release 2" which may or may not include more that is stated on the schedule. Army arc is supposed to be after entire Caravan Arc (those nine scheduled releases) is finished.

A question: was there any mention of plans for all those animal-headed people in DF Talks or elsewhere? It looks like there is quite a lot of them and will be even more but they don't seem to play any role in worldgen or anywhere. On devpage there is a snippet of them being grouped with protectors of wildlife, I wonder if they can have other "uses".
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:54:12 am by Jiharo »
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

Drevlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Geg Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 12, 2011, 08:54:52 am »

Next release will be "Caravan Arc release 1." It is going to include new town maps and night creature stuff.
After that there'll be some bugfixing releases and then on to "release 2" which may or may not include more that is stated on the schedule. Army arc is supposed to be after entire Caravan Arc (those nine scheduled releases) is finished.

Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 298