Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169217 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1005 on: June 13, 2011, 02:04:55 am »

It's time to throw all those cats out of my fortress, and hire some kiwis

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: June 13, 2011, 03:26:40 am »

When Toady mentioned Kiwimen, I thought it meant fruit-men, like the plump-helmet-men.

I'm sad that crabs probably won't make it into the first release, by the sound of things.  I'm not sure what kind of signature mechanic they could add, besides maybe mating dances.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: June 13, 2011, 03:40:10 am »

I wish peregrine falcons could be used to hunt both in adventure and in fortress mode.

Anyway, today Toady returns development to city markets?

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: June 13, 2011, 03:47:24 am »

I'm sad that crabs probably won't make it into the first release, by the sound of things.  I'm not sure what kind of signature mechanic they could add, besides maybe mating dances.
Maybe by introducing mating dances, we would get rid of "spores" since the crabs would probably have to be in close proximity of one another for the mating dance.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: June 13, 2011, 05:03:23 am »

YAPPAPPA- YAPPAPPA- II SHAN TEN
hashagu koi wa ike no koi
YAPPAPA- YAPPAPPA- II SHAN TEN
mune no tai wa dakareTAI
The hell is this moonspeak?

The whole gender changing curses seems to be a fairly common trope in fantasy games. I don't have much doubt that it will find it way into Dwarf Fortress at some point.
Be interesting if Toady decides to go with the whole gender change thing or just changing appearence, guys having children after a gender bender curse seems a bit iffy to me...
On the contrary, because it's a magical curse it does magic things. Such as change the chromosomes in every single cell in your body and creates a fully functional reproductive system of the other gender. So for example, you end up in a completely female body, but have a lifetime of memories of a male. You cannot tell anyone, because they'd know you are cursed.

Well ok, if you are female and pregnant when you change gender, it's a bit icky. Maybe abortion?
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: June 13, 2011, 06:08:36 am »

Was I the only one who looked at turtle-men and thought, "god, i have to mod in ninja weapons and strips to cover the eyes"

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: June 13, 2011, 06:48:52 am »

When Toady mentioned Kiwimen, I thought it meant fruit-men, like the plump-helmet-men.

They could be parasitized by that worm that takes over the gonads of the crab, basically turns it female, wraps its tendrils over the entire crab, and then has the crab pop out parasite babies for the rest of its life. A nightmarishly dramatic transformation-reproducing syndrome like that would be worthy of an addition.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: June 13, 2011, 08:38:13 am »

They could be parasitized by that worm that takes over the gonads of the crab, basically turns it female, wraps its tendrils over the entire crab, and then has the crab pop out parasite babies for the rest of its life. A nightmarishly dramatic transformation-reproducing syndrome like that would be worthy of an addition.

This reminds me. What with all the giant mushrooms that already abound, I'd be totally ecstatic to see some cordyceps all up in here.

Urist McInfected has begun acting strangely...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: June 13, 2011, 10:50:43 am »

That is scary shit.
Love, scriver~

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: June 13, 2011, 12:42:41 pm »

Next version, any dwarf that starts to alternately display a plumphelmet symbol or have tendrils of fungus emerging from his/her beard after visiting the underland caverns, will be locked outside -or better yet- incinerated in magma!
This sounds like too tempting a surprise feature for Toady to pass up.  ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: June 13, 2011, 03:09:12 pm »

Next version, any dwarf that starts to alternately display a plumphelmet symbol or have tendrils of fungus emerging from his/her beard after visiting the underland caverns, will be locked outside -or better yet- incinerated in magma!
I do hope so!  We really only need two tokens.  (one of which we might already be getting).  First, we need the ability for syndromes to alter behavior.  It appears we'll at least be able to make creatures to berserk/aggressive.  Perhaps it will be low-hanging fruit to also be able to have them go melancholy or into gibbering insanity.  That lets us add insanity syndromes to heavy metals, too :) 

And then, obviously, we need the "give birth to nightmare inducing abomination" token as suggested by darkflagrance ;)  A syndrome token that causes the infected creature to give birth to a specified race would be super cool for more than just this one thing.  Xenomorphs from the Alien movies, for example.  Bonus points if it allows for the specification of a different caste distribution than the default for the target race.  So that you could have a race with a few casts, but one of them has 0 probability of being born.  But the ones that can be born can infect other creatures, and those creatures give birth to the third caste.  That would need a lot of work to function in world-gen, though.  Or perhaps not, since night creatures already do something similar in world-gen.

Along those lines, a curse that causes a person to give birth to assorted random monsters (forgotten beast generator style) is a very mythological sort of curse to be meted out by vengeful gods.  (OK, I think the Greek monsters like Hydra, the Nemean Lion etc were birthed by a titan, not a mortal woman, but still!)  It may even be a way to keep a world's forgotten beast/titan populations up, rather than allowing forgotten beasts to reproduce directly, which has been suggested.  An epic-level quest might be to find and kill a women cursed by the gods to give birth to monsters for all eternity.  Sounds easy until you remember that she'll be surrounded by a menagerie of forgotten beasts!

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: June 13, 2011, 03:39:25 pm »

Crabs should add proper mechanics for claws and their strength.
That would be very useful.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: June 13, 2011, 04:48:12 pm »

Will tortoise men tuck into their shells? That would be adorable.
Man... I love being a turtle.

Was I the only one who looked at turtle-men and thought, "god, i have to mod in ninja weapons and strips to cover the eyes"

No, you were not. I was wondering if a ninja rat-man could adopt them.

Dwarf: We found an enemy inside the fort, sir. It killed two guards and ran off with a lot of our cheese, a bunch of flour, and a whole bush of that strange red fruit we found growing outside. We also think it was responsible for the missing pig meat and plump helmets from yesterday as well.

Overseer: Hmmm... Sounds like whatever it is must be suffering from a mood... what kind of strange artifact is it trying make, I wonder...
I do hope so!  We really only need two tokens.  (one of which we might already be getting).  First, we need the ability for syndromes to alter behavior.  It appears we'll at least be able to make creatures to berserk/aggressive.  Perhaps it will be low-hanging fruit to also be able to have them go melancholy or into gibbering insanity.  That lets us add insanity syndromes to heavy metals, too :) 

And then, obviously, we need the "give birth to nightmare inducing abomination" token as suggested by darkflagrance ;)  A syndrome token that causes the infected creature to give birth to a specified race would be super cool for more than just this one thing.  Xenomorphs from the Alien movies, for example.  Bonus points if it allows for the specification of a different caste distribution than the default for the target race.  So that you could have a race with a few casts, but one of them has 0 probability of being born.  But the ones that can be born can infect other creatures, and those creatures give birth to the third caste.  That would need a lot of work to function in world-gen, though.  Or perhaps not, since night creatures already do something similar in world-gen.

Along those lines, a curse that causes a person to give birth to assorted random monsters (forgotten beast generator style) is a very mythological sort of curse to be meted out by vengeful gods.  (OK, I think the Greek monsters like Hydra, the Nemean Lion etc were birthed by a titan, not a mortal woman, but still!)  It may even be a way to keep a world's forgotten beast/titan populations up, rather than allowing forgotten beasts to reproduce directly, which has been suggested.  An epic-level quest might be to find and kill a women cursed by the gods to give birth to monsters for all eternity.  Sounds easy until you remember that she'll be surrounded by a menagerie of forgotten beasts!

Whoa... sounds kind of like Stephen King's Dreamcatcher...

I like the idea of mushrooms attaching as parasites to dwarves... reminds me of the mushroom status effect from Earthbound. (The dwarf can slowly start growing a mushroom on his head... until *pop* it falls off... ready to ensnare a new victim... unless said dwarf is dumb enough to eat it again...)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:54:51 pm by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: June 13, 2011, 04:51:54 pm »

I was actually planning to mod these in last week, but looks like Toady's doing it now! :D

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: June 13, 2011, 05:21:01 pm »

so we herd u liek megabeasts, so we put a megabeast inside you, so you be beast while besting beasts.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 298