Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169322 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1230 on: June 27, 2011, 01:26:43 am »

Any chance we might see Stumpy Wumples as a creature? I'd totally donate to have those guys added!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: June 27, 2011, 01:27:24 am »

Any chance we might see Stumpy Wumples as a creature? I'd totally donate to have those guys added!

I want the Metagendersaurus.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: June 27, 2011, 06:39:27 am »

Seems legitimate to me. Cameos from other games Toady made (I assume)

Though what is a stumpy wumple?

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: June 27, 2011, 04:28:25 pm »

The clue was in the question [mark].  Seems you can turn them into hexscuits.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: June 28, 2011, 11:47:00 am »

I just realized.

Material breath as interactions.

Whenever the adventure mode interface gets here (hopefully this release) you know what this means right? It means ADVENTURE MODE OVERPOWERED BREATH ATTACKS.

YES.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: June 28, 2011, 11:54:50 am »

The clue was in the question [mark].  Seems you can turn them into hexscuits.

Couldn't you say that stumpy wumples are kind of like gorlaks? I wouldn't know, I only looked at it a bit before following Toady's advice.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1236 on: June 28, 2011, 12:29:04 pm »

The fun part would be playing an adventurer with the ability to breath lumps of gold...

"I'll take this sword, shopkeep."
"Certainly, milord. That'll be 123 gold pieces"
"One second... HNNNNOOOROOOORRRRRKKKKKKKK... Do solid lumps work for you?"
"No problem. Let me get you your change."
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: June 28, 2011, 02:17:38 pm »

When is the improved siege stuff on the dev page going to begin? After the caravan arc?

Also, is gunpowder/explosions ever a possibility? It'd be interesting to use as both a weapon and for mining. It could probably also be used for various other stuff.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: June 28, 2011, 03:36:56 pm »

When is the improved siege stuff on the dev page going to begin? After the caravan arc?

Yes.

Also, is gunpowder/explosions ever a possibility? It'd be interesting to use as both a weapon and for mining. It could probably also be used for various other stuff.

There have been dozens of gunpowder threads.

If you want an official answer, though, it's "maybe":

Given that anything I add which is both highly controversial and unnecessary will be optional, people can afford to be calm about future additions.

A lot of it comes down to where I devote my energy.  Technological innovations sort of fall into a category with projects like tileset support.  These options would make some people happy and expand the audience, while taking up some of my time that other people want put somewhere else.  As they get further and further away from what we've already got, they are less likely to have time found for them.

For those interested in a specific development timeline for gunpowder, I'll be faced with the question when I make the alchemist's workshop more interesting (assuming that workshop continues to exist).  Handling the workshop itself is a middle-priority matter, since the game elements involved aren't crucial but the the building is languishing in a limbo surrounded by mysterious useless raw entries like golden salve and gnomeblight.  I may or may not add optional gunpowder around that time.  I don't know.

Regarding gunpowder and some basic associated technologies, I can see myself playing either way, really, since I'm not that picky.  If I had to choose between having gunpowder on or off in a release distribution init file, it would be off, because Arnold got shot in Commando not Conan, and the Argonauts didn't get shot by handguns or cannons, and Medusa had a bow not a gun, and stuff.  We grew up with that crap, and our core DF, our myth/fantasy game, mainly hovers around that sort of fluffy nostalgia, but it doesn't need to impact you more than a one line file change.

Yeah, I'm aware of this.  I've been thinking for a while of using their chemistry as the dwarven model, prior to gunpowder arriving in the mid 13th century.  Plaster isn't the first time we've bumped into them.  In any case, as plaster casts predate that by 300 years and had the direct mineral link I mentioned, I think it's all good.  Dwarves should probably distinguish themselves in fields like this, if anything.  It's their element, at least in part.  Some of it'll depend on flavor (gunpowder is a decision like this more or less).  I'll have to decide on a case by case basis, but I think most of it will go in.  Our dwarves have more idle time than fighting crazy viking-style scottish dwarves.

edit:  though they drink twice as much.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: June 28, 2011, 04:35:00 pm »

I just realized.

Whenever the adventure mode interface gets here (hopefully this release) you know what this means right? It means ADVENTURE MODE OVERPOWERED BREATH ATTACKS.

YES.

Now I don't wanna completely dash your hopes and dreams but I'm thinking he was talking more about the materiel breaths being merged into the same interaction system the new were critters and vampires and things use for the syndrome effects.  I'm not Toady though, so I could be wrong.  Feel free to maintain a sliver of hope.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: June 28, 2011, 04:52:46 pm »

I just realized.

YES.

Now I don't wanna completely dash your hopes and dreams but I'm thinking he was talking more about the materiel breaths being merged into the same interaction system the new were critters and vampires and things use for the syndrome effects.  I'm not Toady though, so I could be wrong.  Feel free to maintain a sliver of hope.

Greiger is right even he not being Toady. We could hope, however, that Toady will add a interface for all these interactions.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: June 28, 2011, 07:21:16 pm »

I just realized.

YES.

Greiger is right even he not being Toady. We could hope, however, that Toady will add a interface for all these interactions.

Yeah, I know. Secretly though I'm crossing my fingers that everything noted as an "interaction" uses the same system, making material breath, necromancy and panda head-bumps or WHATEVER a few keypresses and an adventure mode interface away. Wouldn't that be awesome? It would certainly add a preposterous amount of flavor to adventure mode.

But you're right, it could all be different. I just guess I assumed that anything called an "interaction" in the dev log was the same kind of "interaction" that necromancy is. That would seem to be pretty logical, no? After all the same words are used, and we know that material breath and necromancy are going to fall under an "interaction framework".

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: June 28, 2011, 09:20:23 pm »

Toady, since you weren't planning to add livestock till release 3 (I believe) what use will livestock have to adventurers if you do have them this release? Will they act as unarmed companions? Expanding on that, what are the chances of being able to tame wild animals within the next few releases?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: June 28, 2011, 09:48:10 pm »

Livestock will be delicious. And something to steal, and throw at dragons as distractions.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: June 28, 2011, 10:00:56 pm »

Toady, since you weren't planning to add livestock till release 3 (I believe) what use will livestock have to adventurers if you do have them this release? Will they act as unarmed companions? Expanding on that, what are the chances of being able to tame wild animals within the next few releases?

Since livestock is still a firm "maybe," we'll probably hear more about it if and when it gets implemented.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 298