Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169595 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1770 on: August 05, 2011, 05:33:14 pm »

Also, now we can have at least 25%-believable wizard duels.

(between a necromancer and whatever abomination modding has turned the player into of course)

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #1771 on: August 05, 2011, 08:23:36 pm »

Quote from: Devlog
ability to perform interactions as an adventurer now

My mind had a fantasy of a wooden house in the wilderness built from oak logs and furnished with wolf bone chairs and lion tables while an adventurer defends his fisher berry farm from groundhogs before I realized what the rest of the page said. :(

When will I be able to marry that hot one-armed hammerwoman? After all, these leopard sweetbreads aren't going to cook themselves.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: August 05, 2011, 10:16:05 pm »

have wolf bone chairs.

Animate them as needed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: August 05, 2011, 10:22:26 pm »

have wolf bone chairs.

Animate them as needed.

Not possible unfortunately :'(

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: August 06, 2011, 12:51:55 am »

Just use your own animated body parts as projectile weapons.

As awesome as that would be, you can't throw other units, just inanimate objects or ones so small they don't even have parts.

Holy cow, I just remembered Toady musing about weaponized zombie dragon heads. WE CAN DO THAT.

This may seem self-explanatory, but I wanted to be sure.

Will special attacks such as firebreath or webs be handled under the interaction system?

Which brings me to something else. This was brought up before, and might have been answered already, but will these abilities be retained by re-animated corpses and will it only be with certain parts still there? Like, could a dragon head breath fire even if it no longer had lungs to breath with at all?

Also on the topic of necromancy, can the severed body parts of non-organic creatures be revived? I remember in arena mode that, while some severed parts of a bronze colossus were just "bronze colossus #x's bronze" others specified a body-part.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #1775 on: August 06, 2011, 01:07:49 am »

As awesome as that would be, you can't throw other units, just inanimate objects or ones so small they don't even have parts.

But you could at least use your severed hands as projectile weapons and then animate them in the midst of your foes.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: August 06, 2011, 01:27:52 am »

will these abilities be retained by re-animated corpses and will it only be with certain parts still there? Like, could a dragon head breath fire even if it no longer had lungs to breath with at all?

Seeing as abilities like these are now linked to body parts it seems likely that a reanimated corpse with the required part will still be capable of performing the ability.

Also on the topic of necromancy, can the severed body parts of non-organic creatures be revived? I remember in arena mode that, while some severed parts of a bronze colossus were just "bronze colossus #x's bronze" others specified a body-part.

This will probably be handled the same way it is now, with the [no_undead] (or whatever it is) tag.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: August 06, 2011, 08:19:11 am »

Yes you can. Just wrestle it by whatever part, go into the wrestling menu, select "wrestle with [the part you used to grab it]." then select "throw". Small enough creatures will go flying.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: August 06, 2011, 08:24:57 am »

Seeing as abilities like these are now linked to body parts it seems likely that a reanimated corpse with the required part will still be capable of performing the ability.

Wait, when Toady say they'd be linked to body parts?

Yes you can. Just wrestle it by whatever part, go into the wrestling menu, select "wrestle with [the part you used to grab it]." then select "throw". Small enough creatures will go flying.

But you have no control over the direction they'll go in. You could very well end up throwing it at yourself.

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: August 06, 2011, 10:32:59 am »

Wait, when Toady say they'd be linked to body parts?

It was in one of the development updates when he was talking about making breath attacks into interactions. 

Squid ink addition turned into material-flows-as-interaction rewrite, which is longer but allows the breath cloud/glob/cone stuff to be added as interaction powers now, which will doubtless come in handy. It also makes material breath have body part requirements, which they were missing. Fire breath hasn't been integrated yet. I suppose webs should be as well, but we'll have to see what happens. Back to towns for now.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1780 on: August 06, 2011, 06:53:25 pm »

I think the question we all want an answer to with the latest devlog post: Does this mean I can finally storm a Dragon's den leading an armada of decapitated and reanimated babies with my own right hand as my lieutenant?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 06:55:09 pm by MorleyDev »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: August 06, 2011, 11:07:34 pm »

I think the question we all want an answer to with the latest devlog post: Does this mean I can finally storm a Dragon's den leading an armada of decapitated and reanimated babies with my own right hand as my lieutenant?

With DFusion?

YES, you can do all of this.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: August 07, 2011, 12:20:02 am »

Hell, you won't even need a utility
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: August 07, 2011, 02:32:38 am »

No, being able to appoint followers to positions won't happen for (probably) quite a while. Even when it does, raised body parts are unlikely to be viable choices, as they lack cognitive ability. Everything else is possible.

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: August 07, 2011, 11:09:49 am »

Suppose I have a necromancer companion. If I die, could he reanimate me? Would I still have control?

Also, can creatures be truly resurrected rather than zombified (retaining original soul and/or with a non-decaying body), or resurrected but with an interaction applied? (and if so, do they retain their previous entity allegiance, or change to that of their resurrector?)
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 298