Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169397 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1740 on: August 05, 2011, 03:24:47 am »

Quote from: The Greatest Thing
I suppose the current peak of this feature will be learning to be a necromancer and then animating your own severed arm as a permanent traveling companion. That's going to be my test case, anyway. That'll probably make your arm into a historical figure with its own entry on the legends screen.

Okay, that's it.  I can't take it anymore, this is just too much.  I love this game.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: August 05, 2011, 03:26:16 am »

Interactions are going to be AWESOME. I mean, just the framework is getting me excited. The sheer possibilities are incredible!

Also...

Will the Shift+I menu work for the interactions, or will there be a new bind (oh god)?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:28:02 am by Putnam »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: August 05, 2011, 03:57:53 am »

Interactions are going to be AWESOME. I mean, just the framework is getting me excited. The sheer possibilities are incredible!

Also...

Will the Shift+I menu work for the interactions, or will there be a new bind (oh god)?

Depending on how they're going to be working with the game, it could be under the same menu as the adventurer crafting.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

B0013

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: August 05, 2011, 04:10:08 am »

Best. Game. Ever.

Also-

Do this mean you can now strangle people from a distance?
>{) >(> })o)  Fishes!

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: August 05, 2011, 04:24:54 am »

I think you're misguided here. Only bodyparts with at least one head or one [GRASP] tags can be animated. So no teeth or elephants tusk. You could however have an elephant trunk companion, and I wish you the best of luck with your right hand, until death do you part - double pun somewhat intented.

Also it seems like an animated part receives a new soul, so except if you can give clear orders to animated companions, you won't control your hand from a distance.

The next release is going to be GLORIOUS. Allowing interactions means we can mod in sooooo many shiny things.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: August 05, 2011, 07:31:18 am »

snip
Also it seems like an animated part receives a new soul, so except if you can give clear orders to animated companions, you won't control your hand from a distance.
snip
I think animated things operate without a soul, they're essentially braindead and only operating on the standard "attack enemies of your faction that you see" AI.

This is going to be one of the best updates ever and it'll probably mean I can get my more adventure mode liking friends to play the game too. I might have to learn to actually mod too :D
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: August 05, 2011, 07:54:55 am »

snip
snip
I think animated things operate without a soul, they're essentially braindead and only operating on the standard "attack enemies of your faction that you see" AI.

This is going to be one of the best updates ever and it'll probably mean I can get my more adventure mode liking friends to play the game too. I might have to learn to actually mod too :D

On the other hand, if they do get new souls it will give you an easy cure for all those dorfs with bad ones.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: August 05, 2011, 08:01:41 am »

I can't wait until a bug lets us revive our own heads if we get decapitated while casting.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: August 05, 2011, 08:29:52 am »

If you sever your arm and reanimate it, and then you die, will your arm continue to have adventures?

Because if so- freaking awesome! I would create a necromancer for the sole purpose of severing all my sever-able parts and reanimating them in a bid to live forever- in a manner of speaking.

Some things should not be severed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Just sayin'.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #1749 on: August 05, 2011, 09:13:48 am »

So...  This would be the culmination of the Armies arc, right?

Provided we can craft/procure the appropriate sleevies...
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1750 on: August 05, 2011, 09:37:59 am »

If you sever your arm and reanimate it, and then you die, will your arm continue to have adventures?

Because if so- freaking awesome! I would create a necromancer for the sole purpose of severing all my sever-able parts and reanimating them in a bid to live forever- in a manner of speaking.

Some things should not be severed.

Just sayin'.

I cringed so hard...and then reality hit me.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: August 05, 2011, 09:58:59 am »

Do this mean you can now strangle people from a distance?

Just use your own animated body parts as projectile weapons.

Holy cow, I just remembered Toady musing about weaponized zombie dragon heads. WE CAN DO THAT.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: August 05, 2011, 10:10:14 am »

The army arc isn't over until Toady says it is, and even then there might be changes in the future. Before that happens, we will at least be able to send out armies from our fortresses, and command armies as an adventurer.

Toady did the interactions change because it fixes a lot of missing functionality, which would be vastly increased in the next version had it not been implemented.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #1753 on: August 05, 2011, 10:46:51 am »

The army arc isn't over until Toady says it is, and even then there might be changes in the future. Before that happens, we will at least be able to send out armies from our fortresses, and command armies as an adventurer.

Toady did the interactions change because it fixes a lot of missing functionality, which would be vastly increased in the next version had it not been implemented.

*sigh*

Where did the General keep his armies?

Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: August 05, 2011, 12:29:51 pm »

Urist McCaptain: General! We can't win, their army is twice as lare as hours!

Urist McGeneral: Fear not Captain, bring me the necromancer and an axe. In some hours we'll be at equal odds with them.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 298