Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169446 times)

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3360 on: December 12, 2011, 11:34:38 am »

The rivers have ramps now, so you can get in and out of them, and the water is generally a bit more accessible. Adventurers traveling can get thirsty and hungry now and can last 5 and 30 days without, respectively, as things stand, though if you don't take care of yourself your rolls will start to deteriorate after 8 hours. It'll drop you out of travel and prevent you from sleeping if you are nearly dead. I think I'm going to mess around with salt water a bit next, and perhaps adds some usable wells in places.

The rivers have ramps now, so you can get in and out of them

Cool. Now competent swimmers won't drown to death because there's no way out of the river anymore. :)
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: December 12, 2011, 11:51:21 am »

Why does everyone keep saying that blood should be poisonous, made you ill or whatnot? Blood is actually completely edible and quite nourishing. It's more of a food than drink, though.

Wait, doesn't drinking good of amounts blood over a longer time actually lead to an iron overdose? I think the human body has serious problems getting rid of excess iron from ingested stuff. Some animals might be adapted to that.

Drinking blood in regular DF adventure mode circunstances (IE spilled on your right out of whatever you just killed, or directly from the corpse) is actualy very dangerous though. For blood to be used as nutrition it needs to be prepared like most kind of animal products. Blood has a higher possibility of carrying diseases then actual flesh, plus there's the issue with iron overdose as he mentioned.

Using blood to hydrate and feed yourself is not unheard of though. Crusaders would sometimes bleed their horses to drink their blood if they got lost in the desert without water and food. I think the french resistance fighters did it as well but I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:53:09 am by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

mnemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: December 12, 2011, 01:16:53 pm »

Why does everyone keep saying that blood should be poisonous, made you ill or whatnot? Blood is actually completely edible and quite nourishing. It's more of a food than drink, though.

Wait, doesn't drinking good of amounts blood over a longer time actually lead to an iron overdose? I think the human body has serious problems getting rid of excess iron from ingested stuff. Some animals might be adapted to that.

Drinking blood in regular DF adventure mode circunstances (IE spilled on your right out of whatever you just killed, or directly from the corpse) is actualy very dangerous though. For blood to be used as nutrition it needs to be prepared like most kind of animal products. Blood has a higher possibility of carrying diseases then actual flesh, plus there's the issue with iron overdose as he mentioned.

Using blood to hydrate and feed yourself is not unheard of though. Crusaders would sometimes bleed their horses to drink their blood if they got lost in the desert without water and food. I think the french resistance fighters did it as well but I'm not sure.

Drinking fresh blood is quite common among hunters even nowdays(From the vein when bleeding the kill, not splatters or whatever) and it isn't really any more dangerous than eating the flesh as far as i know, the flesh will have some blood left in it anyways and the most common problem of getting parasites can happen with meat too.

That said, drinking large amount of blood will probably make you throw up and might cause ironpoisoning and since blood spoils fast only fresh blood is suitable for consumption unprepared.

Drinking blood from their steeds(horses/camels) is/was quite commong among nomandic people in dry climates.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: December 12, 2011, 02:09:59 pm »

Oooh! or possibly Megabeasts that instead of dying come back as some sort of corrupted version of themselves (I can imagine Titans doing that)

Though I believe right now... Powers cannot be mummies and there are no "sentient" Megabeasts and no "social" semimegabeast.
Actually, from the mummy raws, it does look that powers can be mummies. I'm assuming that the IT_FORBIDDEN:SUPERNATURAL in the were and vamp interactions prevents powers from getting those, but mummies lack that tag in the posted raws.
Mummies I (assume) have to be created by disturbing the tomb of some historical figure, which means they would need to be civ-linked in some way.  Currently only worldgen demons qualify for this... which is actually incredibly awesome.  I for one look forward to the curse of the mummified demon overlord. 
where is up?

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: December 12, 2011, 09:37:43 pm »

The new human towns look great. I'm excited.

I've heard about multi-tile trees and that you'd like mountainhomes to look more like player fortresses.

Could you go into more detail on the changes you'd like to make to mountainhomes, forest retreats, goblin towers, and maybe kobold dwellings?

I certainly understand that these kinds of things are still far off.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: December 12, 2011, 09:48:13 pm »

I've heard about multi-tile trees and that you'd like mountainhomes to look more like player fortresses.

Could you go into more detail on the changes you'd like to make to mountainhomes, forest retreats, goblin towers, and maybe kobold dwellings?

Nothing as of yet. Right now, its just human towns. Though by having human towns being more dynamic, means that fort, towers, and forest retreats will get reworked too.

Though when he's talked about working on those other cities, seem to be waiting for the fabled army arc.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: December 13, 2011, 12:16:19 am »

Nothing as of yet. Right now, its just human towns. Though by having human towns being more dynamic, means that fort, towers, and forest retreats will get reworked too.

Though when he's talked about working on those other cities, seem to be waiting for the fabled army arc.

Bolded a part of Met's post that I'm not sure you saw.

I tried to dig up some details, but I couldn't find much.  It came up in DF Talk, but the answer went slightly off the rails:

Spoiler: long (click to show/hide)

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: December 13, 2011, 11:04:08 am »

It's good to read that again. I haven't heard that since the podcast was released.

I suppose my question can be better expressed as: Now that you have put in so much work into human towns and brought sewers, dungeons, and markets into the mix, has that given you new ideas for the dwellings of other races? For instance, instead of sewers for players to explore and fight monsters in, perhaps mountainhomes would have... abandoned mining caves or something that criminals and creepy-crawlies would hide in?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:06:22 pm by Met »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: December 13, 2011, 12:46:17 pm »

Why, when you started on the new town structure a while back, did you remove dark fortresses and mountain halls* instead of leaving them in until they were ready for a rewrite? Or did the new town code make those structures incompatible with the site-generation code?

Side question: Labyrinths and Shrines still exist, right?

* and elven retreats, but there wasn't anything there anyways.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: December 13, 2011, 12:54:01 pm »

* and elven retreats, but there wasn't anything there anyways.

There were elves to slaughter interact with at least. Now non-human settlements and populations seem to exist on another plane of existence.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: December 13, 2011, 04:24:45 pm »

When you say were-dwarves do you mean dwarves that turn into men?

Werewolf does not mean wolf-wolf. Of course a dwarf turning into a human at the full moon might be interesting, a perfect spy to infiltrate the rival human civs or perhaps an abomination cast out by both dwarves and men.

If you want to go Old English into it then it would be dweorg-wulf but dwarf-wolf might do. Were-dwarf makes me cringe. Unless you want to start calling werewolves into were-men in which case I could take that as an artistic licence.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: December 13, 2011, 04:30:38 pm »

Blood certainly can be edible, and is the basis for at least 2 noteworthy foodstuffs: blood pudding, and blood sausage. You won't catch me eating either, but in dark age times they were a vital source of nutrition for many poorer people. As for editing in that use, I don't know...

Personally though, I find that the current amount of blood in barrels shipped as trade goods by merchants far exceeds this culinary use.

What I would like to see is a new set of jobs available at querns/mills, and at furnaces, which would deal with the "way too many bones causing too many bone crafts." Issue, as well as the "what in armak's name do we do with all this bottled blood!?" problem. Simple: fertilizer.

Right now the only fertilizer we have is potash. I suggest expanding that to bonemeal and bloodmeal. (Bonemeal could be further burned in the ashery to get bone ash, which is required to make white glazes and chinaware, irl.)

Coupled with the food use for blood, that should solve all the trouble.

So, for a question for toady:

You mentioned in the dev log entry that there were problems with too many bone crafts showing up in the village markets. Have you considered other industrial uses for bones other than as a crafting material, such as bonemeal, or as a secondary material in the pottery industry, such as bone ash?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 04:51:17 pm by wierd »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: December 13, 2011, 04:38:33 pm »

Werewolf does not mean wolf-wolf. Of course a dwarf turning into a human at the full moon might be interesting, a perfect spy to infiltrate the rival human civs or perhaps an abomination cast out by both dwarves and men.

If you want to go Old English into it then it would be dweorg-wulf but dwarf-wolf might do. Were-dwarf makes me cringe. Unless you want to start calling werewolves into were-men in which case I could take that as an artistic licence.
We've already talked about that for like three pages. We don't need to do it again.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: December 13, 2011, 04:48:58 pm »

"Were-dwarf" in the context of dev discussion is a convenience term that means "a dwarf that has been cursed to turn into a were-creature".

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3374 on: December 13, 2011, 05:13:37 pm »

Dweorg-wulf does sound kinda awesome.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 298