Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169438 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3405 on: December 16, 2011, 02:11:42 am »

In the screenshots provided on the dev log, the river water was 2 z-levels below the town, so the sewers 1 z-level below the town wouldn't flood. Is this a hard requirement, or what happens if we get a town with a sewer at the same z-level as the water? Seattle raised the street level around 1890 to provide better drainage, also resulting in the Seattle Underground.

Is there a cap on the sewer population vs the surface population, or can we get situations where are more criminals in the sewer than people living in homes above?

Are the groups/creatures in the sewer all allied against the player, or can we see/cause factions in conflict?

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: December 16, 2011, 03:18:03 am »

This is more of an existing feature question, and I'm guessing the answer is currently 'no' and that it shall have to wait for the army arc, and so I may have answered my question before even asking it, but...

Do/Will the bandits (or gobbo camps etc.) perform raids on, say, the town or the marketplace, from their bases in the sewers/dungeons - either in world gen or adventure mode?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: December 16, 2011, 10:21:45 am »

hey guys, are there secret rooms in the dungeons or anywhere for that matter? I mean something like when normally you just see continuous wall, but if you look closer you might notice a hidden lever to open up a passage.

Edit:

On second thought. I haven't found anything like that in the game, and don't recall if Toady said something about it. So..
Do You plan to add a "Secret Room" feature during caravan arc releases?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 10:30:52 am by Rip0k »
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: December 16, 2011, 10:48:02 am »

If you kill a were-creature while in it's were-form does it's corpse change back?

Following from above: If one of your dwarves becomes a werewolf and gets killed how do they treat the corpse? Does it count as a dwarf corpse with burial? Can you butcher and have it eaten / leather made from it's skin?

Werebeasts do not revert on death last we heard:
Quote from: Khym Chanur
1. Will body modification curses revert on death?  That is, if a transformed werewolf is killed, will the corpse be a wolf or a human?
Right now they don't revert, and I don't have further curses, though a visual ranged or non-visual ranged curse transfer could be modded in, or a poison curse transfer.
Considering that the current werewolf creature has the CAN_LEARN tag, I would assume that the werebeasts generally will have it, as well, which would mean no butchery for dwarves. Since it would not be a dwarf corpse, the dwarves likely wouldn't bury it in a coffin. The were might not even return as a ghost, but don't quote me on that.

In the screenshots provided on the dev log, the river water was 2 z-levels below the town, so the sewers 1 z-level below the town wouldn't flood.
I don't think that it's a result of the sewer, actually. The river being 2 z-levels (or more) down happens very often in the current version already.

hey guys, are there secret rooms in the dungeons or anywhere for that matter? I mean something like when normally you just see continuous wall, but if you look closer you might notice a hidden lever to open up a passage.

Edit:

On second thought. I haven't found anything like that in the game, and don't recall if Toady said something about it. So..
Do You plan to add a "Secret Room" feature during caravan arc releases?
Secret doors most likely won't be in this release, as Toady hasn't said anything about that. Similarly, it is unlikely that he has planned for them to be in the next few content releases. It is quite possible that an opportunity arises for them to come in due to some emergent feature addition or other, similar to the night creatures in this release. However, seeing that pyramids (re)-entered the game without secret doors coming in, the probably best opportunity has already passed. I suppose some manors could use them, but I wouldn't count on it.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: December 16, 2011, 11:38:28 am »

Thanks Knight Otu.
I really hope that Toady manage to somehow throw it in before Army Arc starts.
Anyway this release will be sweet anyhow.  :P
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: December 16, 2011, 12:21:39 pm »

Yes, Thanks Knight Otu.

It's a shame that we will likely be unable to butcher were-creatures but it makes some sense.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: December 16, 2011, 04:30:27 pm »

I was looking through the interactions Toady posted.

I thought of an idea involving a creature getting a syndrome that kills them and then causes them to raise a while later.

But while examining the tags I noticed that my idea might not be possible... because the raise portion of the interaction isn't in the syndrome, but in the interaction effect... (Though I did notice you could probably give a necromancer an instant killing attack with a interaction with the ADD_SYNDROME tag). This made me notice that it seems that while the syndromes can add interactions to a creature and be can be given by an interaction, syndromes can't evoke all the effects of an interaction.

That's not to say delayed raising isn't there. I noticed the [IE_IMMEDIATE] and [IE_INTERMITTENT:WEEKLY]. The first seems to mean the interaction's effect takes place immediately when the interaction is used. The second seems to be a result of a continuous effect used in regional zombies and by my guess raises corpses on a weekly basis. So I would assume there are other tokens involving timing as well.

Are there other interaction effect tokens that deal with timing and delays? Are there any event trigger effect tokens? (Like an IE_TRIGGER:UPON_DEATH)

But it would be hard to do something like a zombie virus that kills the victim and raises them later from what I can tell.

Is it possible to have syndromes have interaction effects, like raising a corpse killed by said syndrome?

Actually, I think I'm asking if it is possible for a syndrome to be a source for an interaction instead of simply giving the creature the ability to use an interaction. (Just because I thought it would be funny if a dwarf was hit by a FB syndrome that later causes it to become the walking dead. The idea of a zombie dwarf raising for no obvious reason is good for the 'wtf' factor FB syndromes have.)

I kind of wish Toady would release a list of all the new tokens to get a better idea of the possibilities and limits of the interactions.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: December 16, 2011, 04:50:35 pm »

I don't think you could make unliving corpses, but you could make something "zombie-virus"-like.  You'll note that zombies from "zombie apocalypse" type movies aren't so much dead as just mindless killers with rotting bodyparts, which would be easy enough to do.  While this would mean creating a separate type of zombie, it sort of makes sense because fantasy zombies and horror movie zombies are pretty different. 
where is up?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: December 17, 2011, 01:02:32 am »

Quote from: devlog
It now keeps track of all the former positions of historical figures by start/end year, so you can see those in the legends, and so I can mention the important points about a person on memorial slabs.

Ooh, that's pretty cool. This means we can actually have memorial slabs be interesting, instead of just a name.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: December 17, 2011, 03:17:28 am »

Quote from: devlog
It now keeps track of all the former positions of historical figures by start/end year, so you can see those in the legends, and so I can mention the important points about a person on memorial slabs.

Ooh, that's pretty cool. This means we can actually have memorial slabs be interesting, instead of just a name.
In part it is done (artifacts, date of death & birth, preferences, kill list)...
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: December 17, 2011, 04:50:34 am »

fixed some catacombs that managed to exit out into the ocean and fill with water

Actually, I think I would have LOL'd finding those in-game. I'd know that it wasn't just me who drowns my own base.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: December 17, 2011, 09:11:24 am »

. . . It now keeps track of all the former positions of historical figures by start/end year . . .
Does this mean that items in an abandoned/killed fortress don't wander around the site when reclaimed or visited?
Even if it is just the corpses that keep their stuff/don't move around, that would be cool.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: December 17, 2011, 09:17:06 am »

. . . It now keeps track of all the former positions of historical figures by start/end year . . .
Does this mean that items in an abandoned/killed fortress don't wander around the site when reclaimed or visited?
Even if it is just the corpses that keep their stuff/don't move around, that would be cool.
I think you are misunderstanding what Toady said there. He's talking about positions of people, not of items during play (and I'm not fully certain, but he might be talking entity positions rather than location - though the game already tracks the former, he might make it more clear in legends mode or something).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: December 17, 2011, 10:15:45 am »

I think you are misunderstanding what Toady said there. He's talking about positions of people, not of items during play (and I'm not fully certain, but he might be talking entity positions rather than location - though the game already tracks the former, he might make it more clear in legends mode or something).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's entity positions and not "Lived in Fishtown" per se.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: December 17, 2011, 01:57:02 pm »

Urist Rustytongues (b. 612 d. 629)
Named Broker of Maimedchannels on 12 Felsite 627
Replaced as Broker of Maimedchannels on 24 Felsite 627 (when the usual broker finished his nap)
Drowned 3 Malachite 629
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 298