Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169326 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3735 on: January 10, 2012, 08:47:32 pm »

So if I make a ton of human adventurers, and have them retire in dwarven sites.....will they become migrants as well?

Humans and other non-dwarves don't migrate to dwarf fortresses (at least ones controlled by the player), so it would have to be a dwarf adventurer.  But since dwarf sites don't really exist right now, I don't think you can retire in them.  It'll work with a human adventurer and human fortress, though:

Quote from: Footkerchief
Will non-vampire migrants also be drawn from historical figures?  If a vampire adventurer retired in a human town in a Human Fortress-playable world, could that adventurer migrate to a player fortress?  I'm asking about human towns since dwarf settlements are presumably still a broken feature.

I think this question shows how long it has been since I answered FotF...  but yeah, we have historical migrants, both vampire and non-vampire adventurers as it comes up.  A human could go to a human fort, and yeah, humans in dwarf forts are still a no-go.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: January 10, 2012, 08:53:40 pm »

So if I make a ton of human adventurers, and have them retire in dwarven sites.....will they become migrants as well?

Humans and other non-dwarves don't migrate to dwarf fortresses (at least ones controlled by the player), so it would have to be a dwarf adventurer.  But since dwarf sites don't really exist right now, I don't think you can retire in them.  It'll work with a human adventurer and human fortress, though:

Quote from: Footkerchief
Will non-vampire migrants also be drawn from historical figures?  If a vampire adventurer retired in a human town in a Human Fortress-playable world, could that adventurer migrate to a player fortress?  I'm asking about human towns since dwarf settlements are presumably still a broken feature.

I think this question shows how long it has been since I answered FotF...  but yeah, we have historical migrants, both vampire and non-vampire adventurers as it comes up.  A human could go to a human fort, and yeah, humans in dwarf forts are still a no-go.

Actually, it is fully possible to retire in a dwarven settlement. Though there may be nothing actually there, the placeholder landscape will still be counted as a site that you can retire in.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: January 10, 2012, 08:55:30 pm »

That's good to know that dwarf adventurer migrants will work without modding.

CharlesPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • My Dark Twisted Pretzel Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: January 10, 2012, 09:06:13 pm »

4 issues. Release tomorrow/next day? Also, what's the context of the LCS reference? I don't quite get it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:15:26 pm by CharlesPeter »
UU,.~U~,.\b,.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: January 10, 2012, 09:21:18 pm »

4 issues. Release tomorrow/next day?

Nope.  Misc issues will be followed by:
map maintenance, optimization of the new stuff, sponsorship critters and incorporation of Baughn's fixes to the SDL stuff.  The map maintenance, optimization, and sponsorship stuff have the highest chance of bogging me down, and each of those three could add a week a piece, say, which would put us just into February.

I wouldn't expect it any sooner than a week.

Also, what's the context of the LCS reference? I don't quite get it.

Most likely the New Hampshire primaries.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 09:28:40 pm by Footkerchief »

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: January 10, 2012, 10:36:27 pm »

Quote from: Toady One 10/28/2011
Next I created a new world and started up a dwarven adventurer. Because dwarven sites on the world map are still blank, you start in a human village as usual. I walked day and night through the wilderness to get back to one of these blank sites and finally stumbled drowsily into the mountains, where it let me retire. I then created a dwarf fortress from the same civilization and waited for immigrants. It was only year 3, so without a large roster to choose from, my dwarven adventurer showed up to be a hard-working citizen... although he fell asleep on the edge of the map since it hadn't reset his drowsiness. Any dwarves from your abandoned fortresses should also show up in subsequent forts, whether originally historical or not, as long as you are with the same overall dwarven civilization.

Oh my god... I remembered something Footkerchief didn't...
(I was beaten to the comment, but not the quote!)

Anyway, what excited me more about that particular devlog was the possibility of getting dwarves from old forts moving in.  Not only could your old adventurer move in, but he could follow your embark sites around, adventuring between forts! (in theory at least, if you're lucky)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:44:25 pm by Caldfir »
where is up?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3741 on: January 11, 2012, 01:01:45 am »

I like the fact that it remembered that he was still tired.

Hmmm... If you make humans playable, but then create human adventurers and send them over to retire in a dwarf civ, then create a dwarf fortress, do we then see the humans show up? And is making humans playable strictly necessary?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: January 11, 2012, 01:40:32 am »

I think it still cares about species. We have to wait for toady to properly implement racism and treating of humans as second class citizens.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: January 11, 2012, 02:41:55 am »

I think it still cares about species. We have to wait for toady to properly implement racism and treating of humans as second class citizens.

That would be a step up from their current situation.  Civ members who aren't the primary race of the civ tend to be ignored by that civ.  Except when they are promoted to things like "queen" and proceed to immigrate and stand at the entrance, turning invaders into red mist.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: January 11, 2012, 03:50:10 am »

7 posts later
I like the fact that it remembered that he was still tired.

Hmmm... If you make humans playable, but then create human adventurers and send them over to retire in a dwarf civ, then create a dwarf fortress, do we then see the humans show up? And is making humans playable strictly necessary?
This has to be some sort of record.

EDIT: Noticed the slight difference but it feels like fridge logic.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: January 11, 2012, 06:27:37 am »

Quote from: Toady One
It's sort of a half day, because as you might have guessed from Liberal Crime Squad, we feel compelled to witness certain political events in full.

Toady's a Republican?!?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: January 11, 2012, 07:01:02 am »

You know, whilst I'm still hoping Toady might manage to release in January... If it ended up coming out on the 8th of Febuary, that would be truly, truly amazing! One of the The dwarfiest birthday present ever! ;D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: January 11, 2012, 08:19:53 am »

Anyway, what excited me more about that particular devlog was the possibility of getting dwarves from old forts moving in.  Not only could your old adventurer move in, but he could follow your embark sites around, adventuring between forts! (in theory at least, if you're lucky)
Impossible, as "abandon fortress" counts as "kill everything"
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: January 11, 2012, 08:50:09 am »

Quote from: Toady One 10/28/2011
I walked day and night through the wilderness to get back to one of these blank sites and finally stumbled drowsily into the mountains, where it let me retire. I then created a dwarf fortress from the same civilization and waited for immigrants. It was only year 3, so without a large roster to choose from, my dwarven adventurer showed up to be a hard-working citizen... although he fell asleep on the edge of the map since it hadn't reset his drowsiness. Any dwarves from your abandoned fortresses should also show up in subsequent forts, whether originally historical or not, as long as you are with the same overall dwarven civilization.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: January 11, 2012, 09:54:41 am »

Um... actually it doesn't. If you go there as an adventurer, you do see your old dorves faffing about.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 298