Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261265 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - It's out! And there's a 4 pack
« Reply #975 on: May 19, 2011, 10:29:00 am »

Insofar as I've been able to tell, the only thing you can't mine with a gold pick is ebonstone.

Anyway, re: Jungle, I went in with silver armor + mining helmet and an enchanted boomerang. Set up a little hornet farming station (4 blocks on left and right of character, two platforms just above), pointed my cursor up, and turned on autohotkey until I basically had full cobalt and enough stingers to make a thorn chakram. Then it was running around killing maneaters for vines and collecting roses until I had enough to finish the chakram and make an ivy whip. The occasional skeleton attack even got me my first hook, so it was all good.

You can set up an even better hornet farming station if do something like so:
Code: [Select]
PP###
OOCC#
#OCC#
#OCC#
#####

P = platform, O = open space, # = block-of-some-sort, C = Character. Then just shoot a rang (or flail-type weapon) out the opening. Can also just swing a sword or pickaxe, but that takes a lot longer. Then you just hold down the button (or toggle autoclick) until loot showers you from the sky.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 19, 2011, 11:05:05 am »

It's easy if you get yourself a flamerang.
Not on multiplayer, where boomerangs are about as reliable as melee attacks.

Arrows actually worked out well enough because I didn't have to wait for a boomerang to return when I inadvertently missed a hornet warping away. It's still quite difficult in there unless you spend a good deal of time tunneling everywhere so hornets can't get you.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

icepick37

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 19, 2011, 11:06:06 am »

I just started helldiving as soon as I could mine hellstone.

My problem is I can't find time TO play. : /  Only gotten in like 2-3 hours?

Do have copper armor (-greaves) and iron sword/bow.  But I'm enjoying the time instead of worrying about loot.  Game is crazy hard, but SOO MUCH FUN!  Started caving once I got decent loot, but need to figure out how to deal with flooded tunnel.  Need to find a chest dang it.  :)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 19, 2011, 11:09:10 am »

Ivy whip. Cobalt greaves. hermes boots 2x. Magic nissiles. Handgun. Blue moon. Aquastaff. Necrogear.

Today was a good day.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: May 19, 2011, 11:10:36 am »

Buggery, second lucky horseshoe. I need a glowy light orb thing, or something so I can replace this mining helmet with a meteor one.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: May 19, 2011, 11:12:10 am »

Can you mine meterite or with a gold pick?

You certainly can, and in fact, I'd recommend it. Nightmare picks do 6 damage to Meteor Heads, while Gold picks do 1 damage. Every time a Meteor Head dies, there's a 50% chance it'll spawn behind you, and you'll have to jump around to get all the heads piled together so you can hold them off while mining. Gold picks mean you don't have to fiddle with them as often.  ;D

(Or you could grab an awesome sword and chop the little buggers apart. Oh, and if you have one, bring a boomerang - Meteor Heads take increased knockback from attacks, and boomerangs inflict additional knockback. The result: one hit from a boomerang sends a Meteor Head flying off-screen.  :) )

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 19, 2011, 11:12:46 am »

Got pretty bored of this already. Nothing else left to do.

icepick37

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 19, 2011, 11:13:01 am »

Ivy whip. Cobalt greaves. hermes boots 2x. Magic nissiles. Handgun. Blue moon. Aquastaff. Necrogear.

I cannot wait to find some of that. :)  I love this game.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: May 19, 2011, 11:22:26 am »

And the Minecraft mindset kicks back in.

"Alright, NOW I build an amazing structure of awesome."
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 19, 2011, 11:29:26 am »

Do the better ores become more common further down or are they always at the same rarity?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 19, 2011, 11:32:48 am »

Yes, the more valuable ones get more common the deeper you go.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 19, 2011, 11:34:13 am »

Yes, the more valuable ones get more common the deeper you go.
But as far as I can tell it seems to be a tendency not a rule, I like the way generation works in this game alot
Thank you based dwarf.

icepick37

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 19, 2011, 11:37:57 am »

And the Minecraft mindset kicks back in.

"Alright, NOW I build an amazing structure of awesome."

Plus they will be adding content with decent rapidity.  Plus if you're beating the game this fast it's probably not for you.  :)  It's a game that seems to be built for the journey, not the destination.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: May 19, 2011, 11:56:01 am »

Get some shurikens and abuse your spawnpoint.

That's great for multiplayer, but in singleplayer, if you die while Eyethulhu is present, he disappears.  You get one shot at him per night.

Anyway, I've got a demolitionist, so I suppose blowing up shadoworbs is just a question of how much mining I'm willing to do for cash.  Are gemstones necessary for anything but Phaseblades (which I won't be seeing for a while)?

Shurikens is the right answers. Stand directly under the eye and throw the shurikens straight up. It will kill the little eyes he spawns and pass through to him. After 5 eyes he will lunge at you, go underground and lunge at you from below, go above you and lunge at you again, then float from below you up to start the eyeball game again. He is very hard to dodge.

I have given a lot of thought to simple PVP modes we could play. The best idea I have come up with is that each team gets a harpoon from a different server and hides in their base on either side of the map. The harpoon must be visible from outside the fortifications.  First team to take the other’s harpoon wins.

Teams can only enter enemy’s bases at night. PVP is still allowed by day but bases are off limits. Day time is for increasing fortifications, mining, and trying to steal the villagers (TNT will be very valuable).

icepick37

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 19, 2011, 11:57:16 am »

Haha.  That sounds awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 887