Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261045 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - It's out! And there's a 4 pack
« Reply #1890 on: May 23, 2011, 05:51:35 pm »

Lucky horseshoes are found on floating islands, not underground.

Even better, you might have three chances of finding one in a given game, and you practically need fall-damage immunity anyway.  I don't know if my world sucks or if I'm just that unlucky, but I swear I just do not get any of the cool shit other people do.  I had to hack my way through two Goblin armies before I even got any Rocket Boots, I've yet to see a boomerang anywhere, and I've explored most of the Jungle without seeing a single shrine.
Boomers only appear in the Dungeon, IIRC. You're better off with a chakrum anyways, unless you have enough spare hellstone to get a flamer.
Nope, I got my first boomerang from a random chest.
It was going great 'til I dropped my flamarang in an SP world and forgot to pick it up again ;-;
*Hugs*

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: May 23, 2011, 05:55:45 pm »

I got like 3 boomerangs from random chests.

Made one into a flamerang and traded the other two, because I'm such a nice guy.

And because I got bribed with 100 hellstone.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: May 23, 2011, 06:02:38 pm »

Boomers only appear in the Dungeon, IIRC. You're better off with a chakrum anyways, unless you have enough spare hellstone to get a flamer.

I've also been finding them in chests. I like the flamarang more than the chakrum, so far.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: May 23, 2011, 06:02:50 pm »

And they're well aware of the Cloud bug. I suspect the way the Cloud operates conflicts with the way falling damage works. They straightened the falling damage code out, enforcing taking damage from long falls, but in the process the Cloud was left in the cold. It's a run-of-the-mill bug, proper retail games have them too. It'll be fixed.

Well there are two ways to do this at least, maybe more, any ideas?
First is silly. It is marking the highest point of your jump, then when you make a successful ground check it finds the difference, and if it is too great you take damage. Nobody does it like this, Terraria included, else I would explode into blood when I hit the ground from using rocket boots.
Second is logical. If your speed is greater then a threshold, on ground check, you take damage proportional to your speed. Now I have no idea how they fucked this up because the bottle effectively gives you skyward speed.

Like I said, any other ideas? How did they manage to break something like this?
There's just one flaw with your reasoning here. Terraria has a VERY LOW terminal velocity. Damage is based on fall distance, but your speed maxes out after a distance too short to even CAUSE damage. Therefore, things become more complex. how exactly the damage has been implemented, I don't know. But don't insult the coders unless you actually know what they are doing and how they have done it.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: May 23, 2011, 06:09:38 pm »

Found sunfury.

right beneath a hell accessible jungle too.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: May 23, 2011, 06:12:53 pm »

I've also been finding them in chests. I like the flamarang more than the chakrum, so far.
Ahem, read the bolded part.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: May 23, 2011, 06:28:47 pm »

So... earlier in the thread I saw a post containing the schematics for an obsidian machine. Could someone explain its operation, as in how one would go about refilling it (without doing the obvious, painful bucket method)
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: May 23, 2011, 07:00:39 pm »

Got it :)

And now I can't sleep at night without worrying about worms coming up through the ground and eating me. I didn't really have a floor yet and this worm just jumped out at me pretty early on. Game is almost as scary as Minecraft :D

Also, what is the penalty for death? Other than dropping some coins on the ground?

ALSO, where does one find copper and stuff in the beginning? I have only found a few on the surface, and I dug down a long way and just barely got into the stone layer and still have found little to no copper and iron deposits..
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: May 23, 2011, 07:03:14 pm »

Got it :)

And now I can't sleep at night without worrying about worms coming up through the ground and eating me. I didn't really have a floor yet and this worm just jumped out at me pretty early on. Game is almost as scary as Minecraft :D

Also, what is the penalty for death? Other than dropping some coins on the ground?

ALSO, where does one find copper and stuff in the beginning? I have only found a few on the surface, and I dug down a long way and just barely got into the stone layer and still have found little to no copper and iron deposits..
1. No other penalty other then time wasted. I wouldnt mind seeing it harsher.

2. Spelunk. You'll find ore when you dont need it, but when you do, you wont find it anywhere. Thats what I have found.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: May 23, 2011, 07:04:16 pm »

So... earlier in the thread I saw a post containing the schematics for an obsidian machine. Could someone explain its operation, as in how one would go about refilling it (without doing the obvious, painful bucket method)
That is the method. You fill a bucket, then click above the small block, then as it begins to flow click again, you will pick up the half block and then give you a full block. Water can be done quickly due to the speed on which it flows, so rapid clicks are good. But Magma flows slowly and you need to have a good 1 2 1 2 tempo...
Takes about a minute to fill all up if anything...

The con is that it takes time to fill and the clicking.
But then again
The Pros are.
You don't have to go find Lava then go back up and find water then dig a method down to the lava then either set up a complex way to mine Obsidian without drowning, then there is the monsters that come at you, unless your barricade yourself in it but then there is the worms.

Basically you have those choices.
I prefer using the Obsidian Gen due to the fact I am trying to build my base out of Obsidian, and I don't want to go splunking if I am one short or something like that.
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: May 23, 2011, 07:05:42 pm »

Bleh. Ore finding sounds like a pain. And until you have nice ore you don't have nice armor or weapons. Sadness :(

Also, I got two Pinky's in the first two days (in-game) of playing. This got me like 4 gold. Are the Pinky's usually more rare? Or is it a common way to get money for the merch?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: May 23, 2011, 07:06:10 pm »

Half your coins isn't harsh? The other day I lost over 100 dynamite sticks worth of coins to lava. :(

Too lazy to put them in chests, but I guess that would be my fault to not wanting to be annoyed with always putting coins in chests.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: May 23, 2011, 07:09:53 pm »

Right then, who wants to try and build a PvP map???

Needs four things.
Blue Bricks.
Red Bricks.
Green Bricks.
Yellow Bricks.

But those can come last...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #1903 on: May 23, 2011, 07:11:38 pm »

Half your coins isn't harsh? The other day I lost over 100 dynamite sticks worth of coins to lava. :(
Half? I thought it was one of each.
I just put all my gold in a piggybank.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: May 23, 2011, 07:17:03 pm »

Half? I thought it was one of each.
I just put all my gold in a piggybank.

One stack of each - you lose half your coins, but it looks like you only lost one.

In other news, I just spent three hours camped out in a glowshroom patch for mushroom grass seeds. Killing the enemies that spawned scored me four hooks. I still don't have any damned seeds.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 887