Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261016 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - It's out! And there's a 4 pack
« Reply #1860 on: May 23, 2011, 03:25:28 pm »

1.0.2 is out

NEW ITEM : Sticky Bombs, Requires 5 Gel and a Bomb.

Oh yes.
Great, first they copy minecraft, now they copy Spelunky! /sarcasm.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: May 23, 2011, 03:27:16 pm »

I thought one of the main utilities of Cloud in a Bottle was its ability to harmlessly arrest downward momentum on command?  As long as you can still negate falling damage by grappling into the ground, they're just being jerks by not restoring the Cloud.

Right clicking and holding on a crafting recipe will craft multiple of the same item to a max of the stack and/or until you run out of materials.

I have to wonder how they thought to release the game without this.  But thank God anyway.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: May 23, 2011, 03:32:41 pm »

I thought one of the main utilities of Cloud in a Bottle was its ability to harmlessly arrest downward momentum on command?  As long as you can still negate falling damage by grappling into the ground, they're just being jerks by not restoring the Cloud.
They're being jerks by having a bug?
Huh.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: May 23, 2011, 03:35:01 pm »

The initial projected release date was sometime in June. Thank the leak for early release, now bear with playing a beta until they squeeze in all the features that were planned for the June release.

And they're well aware of the Cloud bug. I suspect the way the Cloud operates conflicts with the way falling damage works. They straightened the falling damage code out, enforcing taking damage from long falls, but in the process the Cloud was left in the cold. It's a run-of-the-mill bug, proper retail games have them too. It'll be fixed.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: May 23, 2011, 03:35:23 pm »

Sand Duping bug fixed.

I loved that bug. Carry one stack of sand with you, build a glass tower on demand.

About crafting, I just went to windowed mode and held down ctrl with the autohotkey macro that I made specifically for it:
~Ctrl::
if (WinActive("Terraria")) {
   Click
}

Elegant and simple, but only worked in windowed mode (in fullscreen it was quite slow, for some reason): While you're pressing or holding down ctrl, it keeps sending clicks if the window is Terraria (or something else that says Terraria, heh). (Terraria likes to change its title to "Terraria: Sand is Overpowered", and who knows if it has any others besides the standard one and that)

You DID notice the patch notes saying that they had noticed it and it was a bug, right? Therefore, it will be fixed? Way to overreact.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: May 23, 2011, 03:40:53 pm »

And they're well aware of the Cloud bug. I suspect the way the Cloud operates conflicts with the way falling damage works. They straightened the falling damage code out, enforcing taking damage from long falls, but in the process the Cloud was left in the cold. It's a run-of-the-mill bug, proper retail games have them too. It'll be fixed.

Well there are two ways to do this at least, maybe more, any ideas?
First is silly. It is marking the highest point of your jump, then when you make a successful ground check it finds the difference, and if it is too great you take damage. Nobody does it like this, Terraria included, else I would explode into blood when I hit the ground from using rocket boots.
Second is logical. If your speed is greater then a threshold, on ground check, you take damage proportional to your speed. Now I have no idea how they fucked this up because the bottle effectively gives you skyward speed.

Like I said, any other ideas? How did they manage to break something like this?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: May 23, 2011, 03:47:47 pm »

Most people would be happy about the update. Me? Still can't have a public server. If one more update without admin powers gets added, I will freak out.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: May 23, 2011, 03:53:44 pm »

I liked this update, haha, Sticky Bombs.... I said to my friends yesterday that they should make the grenades stick to places, this way you can quickly mine a meteor with TNT + Sticky Bomb.

Btw, I'd like to share a "design" of sorts, for you to troll the AI, and farm items while AFK, beware of spoilers below this line.

Spoiler: Trap design image (click to show/hide)

It's very simple and there's not much to explain. You can use the grapple to quickly reach the inside, or jump and use the above door.
I actually use the mirror to teleport back to spawn. Below those platforms are my DF-Like base, with all npcs, farms, furniture and nice rooms (which are not finished yet) etc.

On Blood Moons, its very funny to just stand there and watch as zombies bump themselves into death.
I want to test it against Goblin invasions, it'll probably work but the Goblin Thieves may jump and open the above doors, so you can just build a 'barricade' with dirt there to force them going below.

If you use that amount of lava, the items dropped won't be destroyed, yet they'll get a lot of lava damage, killing them instantly or on 2 hits.
This simple trap can be used on gates of any castle, fortress, etc. I adapted it on a castle yesterday on my friends server, it was on surface, so it kept Slimes outside.

TL;DR, simple trap idea I just wanted to share (:
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: May 23, 2011, 04:10:00 pm »

I personally like building a bridge of sand and suspending it with dirt. It's pretty epic to watch the bridge crumble and monsters fall in a pit that could be full of anything.
Blargh.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: May 23, 2011, 04:20:05 pm »

Note that the casters will still wreck you, and they are apparently the only goblins to drop rocket boots. You could just cover every surface except that platform in the item collection lava though.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: May 23, 2011, 04:21:08 pm »

Note that the casters will still wreck you, and they are apparently the only goblins to drop rocket boots.

Noted. Now planning anti-caster build, centred around excessive use of dynamite.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: May 23, 2011, 04:29:05 pm »

Fight a goblin siege in a multiplayer server with 8 people, all at over 200 health. Have everyone else leave the server when the siege starts, then BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD and 500 goblins later, you'll probably have rocket boots.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: May 23, 2011, 04:33:55 pm »

I'm thinking Spike traps EVERYWHERE. If they hurt monsters, at least. If not... Lava puddles everywhere?

It's a pity that hellstone doesn't hurt monsters.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: May 23, 2011, 04:36:16 pm »

Spikes do not cause harm to NPCs, as such, we sing praise to the mighty dwarven magma flood trap.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: May 23, 2011, 04:36:28 pm »

Like I said, any other ideas? How did they manage to break something like this?

My guess is that the new falling damage code keeps track of the highest downward speed during your fall.  This would avoid glitches where the physics engine spazzes out at high fall speeds, lag bursts, odd corners or whatever and thinks you landed slow enough to not get hurt.
While cobwebs and rocket boots have probably been updated to reset your fall speed, clouds have been overlooked.

While this is a silly bug, it isn't really related to bad coding practice or anything.  They just patched a flaw in the physics engine and forgot to update one of the items.

Of course, the above only applies if my guess is correct.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 887