Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261117 times)

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - Updated: Sunglasses, console server, and more!
« Reply #3255 on: June 07, 2011, 02:15:23 pm »

Gentlemen, BEHOLD!

Hopefully, it'll bring with it new content, rather than just being an above-ground equivalent to it's subterranean cousin.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: June 07, 2011, 02:18:21 pm »

I'm digging the trees. Hopefully they lay a few of them underground.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: June 07, 2011, 02:33:30 pm »

Gentlemen, BEHOLD!

Hopefully, it'll bring with it new content, rather than just being an above-ground equivalent to it's subterranean cousin.
I was already wondering how there could be an underground equivalent of something that doesn't exist...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: June 07, 2011, 02:51:17 pm »

The color palette certainly seems easier on the eyes. That blue sky is searing, man.

Not going to get too much more excited about it atm, as Terraria is the kind of game built for quick palette swapping.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: June 07, 2011, 02:54:40 pm »

-snip-
You can put money in a chest/bank. You only lose half of your money, which could be large or small, but money is pointless away from camp so keeping it in a bank is not a big deal.

Also, you don't have to travel that far to find new stuff. As you go down, you uncover caverns and caves, and they expand a great deal. There's a lot of exploration to be had even if you don't travel super far. Just go down!

Also, the jungle looks nice. I hope it isn't in all worlds though...they need some things that are optional that add flavor to the world.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: June 07, 2011, 02:55:34 pm »

I tried connecting to one a bunch of servers, but it never goes past the part of "Connecting to (IP)"

Any help?

Ounce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: June 07, 2011, 06:53:50 pm »

I adore these sandboxy creativity games, and I've been having loads of fun with Terraria so far. I've played a fair bit, got the basics down, and found a nice handful of goodies (so many clouds in bottles i could control the weather, geez), but have yet to come even close to finding all the cool areas to explore or discovering all the secrets or finding all the special items.
One thing I'm hoping for in the future is a big expansion to the NPCs, both specialized and generic. I didn't know about the 'town building' aspect going in, and I find it all kinds of fun. I'd like to be able to build bigger towns and towers and maybe even getting to do mayorly things to it.

I know I rarely post at these forums (who is this guy anyway) but I'd love to play with y'all some time :D

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: June 07, 2011, 08:06:30 pm »

Meh, google gives me nothing. Explain.
code rant
What did you use to examine what packets were being sent? And what did you program said tool in? This has me more interested in Terraria than anything else at the moment; as an aspiring game programmer I know I've got a while to go (and a bit more school) but to take a good hard look at a game I like that would be easily poked at...

Seems like too much of an opportunity to pass up  :D

I wrote what is basically a proxy server for the Terraria client (in C#, using Visual C# 2010 express). It listens on port 7778, you tell the client to connect to localhost and port 7778, and when it connects, the proxy connects another socket to an IP and port that you have specified in the proxy's GUI (which is the actual server). Any packets the client sends to the proxy, it sends to the server, and anything the server sends to the proxy, it sends to the client, while examining everything that it gets sent from both directions, potentially modifying them (generally only modifying ones from the client), and also inserting its own packets when requested. It requires Terraria 1.0.3 at least, since the ability to connect on any port was added to Terraria in that version. Prior to that I ran it on port 7777 and couldn't run a server on the same IP.

I also used .NET Reflector 6.8 to view Terraria's (decompiled) source (reverse-engineering) in order to learn which packets did what and how the system worked more easily than I could have by just examining what was being sent between the client and server. There are several open-source .NET/C# decompilers, and I'm not familiar with all of them. One open-source one is named ILSpy, and it works in a similar manner to .NET Reflector, although the decompiled source code it generates is somewhat different, of course.

I haven't added tile-manipulation features, e.g. draw on the screen to create tiles, with one exception, since there don't seem to be any packets for "user clicked on this tile." It does tell the server that the user clicked, but not what they clicked. The exception is that I have a checkbox to add hellstone brick backwall when placing hellstone brick, since the client sends packets to create tiles and walls, so placing hellstone brick is detectable and adding hellstone brick wall in the same place (if there's nothing blocking it) is entirely possible to do.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: June 08, 2011, 12:04:49 am »

And it is a really horrible design pattern, it makes my software engineering brain bleed.

The instance of the compiler that Redigit used is still in therapy... Poor thing will never be able to LINQ again.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: June 08, 2011, 07:22:44 am »

I am having trouble connecting to servers. I find the IP's, but when i input them, it says that it's connecting to world forever.

Any ideas?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: June 08, 2011, 07:25:09 am »

I am having trouble connecting to servers. I find the IP's, but when i input them, it says that it's connecting to world forever.

Any ideas?
Get a better internet connection? Or find a closer server.
*Hugs*

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: June 08, 2011, 07:29:48 am »

I have a great connection but will have to look into distance.

Anyone know a good server list?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: June 08, 2011, 07:31:26 am »

There is one on this very subforum.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: June 08, 2011, 09:09:58 am »

There is one on this very subforum.

I looked at it but they were all offline and scattered about the thread. The few that said they were online I got the eternal connecting problem with.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 04:44:08 pm by Micro102 »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: June 08, 2011, 09:12:34 am »

I've found the eternal connecting problem is usually either a problem with my port forwarding or my firewall.

Have you tried with your firewall off?
Have you made sure port 7777 is forwarded through your router?
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 887