Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261051 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #6720 on: December 06, 2011, 07:45:23 pm »

The only thing I have a big beef with is, well...

I'm not sure how to describe, but it always seems like my character is being gamed. You know, manipulated into doing a higher power's bidding.

There's something of an emerging story, just from the context of the many events that happen throughout the game. The story that emerges, what I'm trying to get at, is profoundly concerning.

I mean, when you're dropped into the game, you're told nothing at all. Figure it out yourself asshole.

And you do, you figure it out yourself. You figure out that there's a nondescript evil attempting, and failing, to take over the land. That there's something about Shadow Orbs, but their exact purpose is unknown. That a dude in front of a dungeon is cursed for some reason, a dungeon filled with people with useful skills and guarded by an undying army of skeletons and slimes. That the eye of an elder god has a serious fucking beef with you, but only when you actually get strong enough to actually be a threat. That a goblin army is seriously pissed and wants to usurp your land from you, but ONLY after destroying a shadow orb, as if they have some prior investment in it. All the NPC's are kind of egging you on, but they're exact role and motivation in helping you is unclear, and if they're killed, another one takes his/her place no-questions-asked, which I always found amazingly suspicious, almost as if the homeland of these people has a major incentive to keep you supplied and assisted. That the guide, the very first person to actually help you, is tied to the existence of a hellish Eldritch Abomination, and upon whose death, actually strengthens the forces of evil that you were initially thought to be trying to combat. Not only that, but the forces of 'good' that become available... are amazingly ungrateful for your service, and in fact, are incredibly hostile to your existence, which is itself very disconcerting; it's almost as if they either view me as now completely expendable now that I've done my job, or that I'm actually screwing over the forces of good in the long-run and they view me as an enemy for my interference in the grand balance of things.

All this makes it seem like my character is just playing the fool in the larger picture. That he's been sent off to accomplish a task that, while it may offer tangible benefit to him, offers much more amazing abstract benefit to some force or organization controlling everything in the background, who has an incentive to control the forces of good and evil, and have sent you for the express purpose of fucking the established system to forward their mysterious agenda.

Is this the result of deeply analyzing the plot?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6721 on: December 06, 2011, 07:46:14 pm »

All this makes it seem like my character is just playing the fool in the larger picture.

Welcome to every fantasy novel and adventure RPG game ever written. If you're not the star-crossed hero, you're a pawn who is also a hero.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: December 06, 2011, 07:50:09 pm »

Cannot trust.  Kill everything in game.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: December 06, 2011, 07:51:26 pm »

*plot from out of nowhere*
What? What are you talking about, Terraria has no plot! BLASPHEMY!

*hides*
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: December 06, 2011, 08:14:37 pm »

/Geneva hides in space from the horrendous plot.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6725 on: December 06, 2011, 08:17:08 pm »

Dat plot

Eh, I agree with nenjin on this. Which is why I feel fine following a policy of 'kill everything'.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: December 06, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »

Picture of new base:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Upper level is obsidian, middle level is iridescent, each NPC has personal rooms with different materials. Massive cave system and mountain to the right, corruption not very far in both directions.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: December 06, 2011, 08:45:52 pm »

I'm not sure how to describe, but it always seems like my character is being gamed. You know, manipulated into doing a higher power's bidding.

It's probably Falcor.

Fucking Falcor man, he will mess you up. And if you kill him? His head swipes at you in revenge before he actually dies all Princess Mononoke style.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: December 06, 2011, 08:47:11 pm »

*wall-o-text*
...I actually find that extremely awesome. Would be amazing to have things like that keep cropping up with new updates, slowly making things more suspicious as you go. Until finally you must fight whatever has been manipulating you, kill it, and rule your sandbox as a god. (Ya know, an ending to a sandbox game that makes SENSE, unlike what got added to minecraft...)
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: December 06, 2011, 09:04:55 pm »

*wall-o-text*
...I actually find that extremely awesome. Would be amazing to have things like that keep cropping up with new updates, slowly making things more suspicious as you go. Until finally you must fight whatever has been manipulating you, kill it, and rule your sandbox as a god. (Ya know, an ending to a sandbox game that makes SENSE, unlike what got added to minecraft...)

Lesse, a being capable of killing thousands on a whim, of defeating cosmic horrors and massive bionic constructs with little effort, who can shape rocks into bricks with their bare hands, who can magically multiply liquids, breath unaided in the upper atmosphere, sprout wings at will, turn Hell into a personal living room, and survive falling thousands of feet by cancelling their inertia with a puff of cloud, or with a 'lucky' piece of metal...

Yeah, an endgame character already is a god in mortal form, for all intents and purposes. Therefore, you are allowed to kill anything you want, because everything is trying to kill you and is thus guilty of attempted deicide, which is punishable by death according to the arbitrary laws you established ten seconds ago.

3. Run Resize Enable

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: December 06, 2011, 10:04:56 pm »

I ike the theory that you are the enemy. You were dropped into this untouched land and then you went and fucked it up and stuff. But that theory is getting weaker and weaker wirh every update.
Two questions:
1 If a bound NPC (tinkerer, mechanic, wizard) does, do you have to find them again?
2 How high do you even have to be just to DO something like that do wyverns spawn?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: December 06, 2011, 10:08:56 pm »

I ike the theory that you are the enemy. You were dropped into this untouched land and then you went and fucked it up and stuff. But that theory is getting weaker and weaker wirh every update.
Two questions:
1 If a bound NPC (tinkerer, mechanic, wizard) does, do you have to find them again?
2 How high do you even have to be just to DO something like that do wyverns spawn?

1. No, they will respawn like any other.
2. Usually around the sky islands, though they can spawn lower. And if the scorethrough was in reference to what I think it is, the upper reachs of the map now have reduced gravity to indicate that you're near the edge of the atmosphere, and can easily be reached on small maps from a sky island with spectre boots + wings.

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: December 06, 2011, 10:12:30 pm »

Does? You mean... dies? No, once you've freed them once, they keep coming back.

As for wyverns, well. Sky islands have a really good chance of getting them to spawn. So does making a doublejump off a decent sized hill, some days.

That said, there's nothing stopping them from coming to visit you on the surface, they just seem somewhat discouraged if you're on the ground. You'll eventually have one stop by to rape you sideways for tea and cake regardless of how low you stay, so long as you're not actively underground. They seem to prefer showing up at night.

And yeah, with spectre boots + cloud in a balloon and wings, you can make a standing jump from the larger hills to the world's roof on a small map.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: December 06, 2011, 10:15:19 pm »

Does? You mean... dies? No, once you've freed them once, they keep coming back.

Although with different names... implying that they did die, and a new NPC of the same type showed up as replacement.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: December 06, 2011, 10:40:03 pm »

I think what JoshuaFH quite makes sense... or at least it is appealing to me.

So you're basically tricked into unleashing a dark, evil thing upon the world (as well as many new enemies), that cannot be stopped by anything you know of... but then a counterpart to this evil thing, The Hallow (and it's accompanying creatures), suddenly appears. Where did it come from? Did someone or something plant it there, to battle the horrors unleashed by you? Are the creatures in the Hallow hostile to you because you have been designated as an antagonist, on account of having unleashing the corruption?

Something that is also curious is, where are you? You are in a place that is extremely varied; it has deserts, forests, a jungle, massive amounts of caves, access to the Underworld, magical floating islands, and is surrounded by oceans. The oceans suggest that you are on an island, or something similar. What other continents and lands are out there?

And I'm also not sure about the new hardmode bosses. A giant mechanical worm, a mechanical skeleton robot, and two mechanical (or at least part mechanical, they can fire lasers and shoot flames) eyeballs. The worm and skeleton robot, otherwise known as The Destroyer and Skeletron Prime, seem to be quite robotic, as if made by someone. But the twins, they have unique names; Retinazer and Spazmatism, suggesting some form of intelligence, or at least something similar. Where did all these mechanical enemies come from, and the things used to summon them, a mechanical eye, a mechanical worm, and a mechanical skull?

Then there are some of the underground enemies and things. Skeletons, undead miners, an undead archaeologist and wizard, traps and abandoned mine-shafts. All undead were once living, so where did they come from? Who set the traps and made the abandoned mine-shafts? Judging by the fact that it is decently difficult to acquire wire (you have to find the mechanic and buy it from her, you seem incapable of making it yourself), the people who made those things had to be decently advanced. And how did the Mechanic get the wire, anyways, when no one else in the world has it, and when there were some ancient people using wire to make traps and such deep underground?

And the dungeon, who built it, who populated it with all it's enemies, and why is a cursed old man guarding it? Why is the old man even cursed?

The time period seems to be some kind of mash-up between fantasy medieval and steampunk, with some more advanced things thrown in (similar to the game Thief's universe). You have normal swords throughout the game, for the most part, but then there are these Phaseblades thrown in the middle, as well as a space gun, clockwork assault rifle, shotgun, handgun, laser rifle, flame thrower, a cannon that can shoot stars, and machine-guns that seem to be somehow made from sharks. And many of these guns somehow use your inner magical energy.

The best equipment in the game is Hallow equipment, and right below it, the 3 new ores; cobalt, mythril, and adamantine. The equipment you can make with it, the repeater, sword, spear, and such, is not mechanical at all. The repeater is a crossbow, the others are simply spears and swords.  The only mechanical thing that comes from the new ores are the chainsaws and drills. Why then, does the best equipment in the game, not have some of the most advanced technology in the game? There are laser rifles and phaseblades, yet the destruction they can cause is beaten by crossbows and swords.

Where did the 3 new ores come from, anyways? Were they placed by whoever placed The Hallow in the world, or who placed The Corruption? Neither the Corruption or the Hallow seems to share any affiliation with you, pretty much everything wants to kill you. So where did these ores come from, these ores that allow you to, eventually, deal with the creatures of the Corruption and the Hallow with ease. Is there a third-party that takes pity on you?

There are so many unanswered questions, so many untied strings. What is really going on in our characters' worlds, and why?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:42:47 pm by Repulsion »
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 887