Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261148 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #6855 on: December 08, 2011, 11:14:03 am »

The most trollish and efficient way to get money from a server is to release Skeletron Prime to the masses just before morning, then collecting the loot just before Skelly targets you and crushes you.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: December 08, 2011, 11:14:33 am »

More viable... in what way? The only thing it's not really good at is taking out the hardmode bosses, right now. If you can rummage up some light discs, I imagine even that would be fairly doable.

A godly adamantine glaive, to say nothing of gungnir, two-three shots most of the hard mode enemies if you manage to double-tap with each swing. It'll drop a wyvern in 4-5 passes, usually. Melee's pretty effective.

+1. And the Rainbow Rod is very good as well. Of course, Megashark + flamethrower are still by far the best two weapons in the game. I keep my excalibur around to grind weapon mobs after I run low on flamethrower fuel but don't want to go home to make more.

Regardiing light: I have never used shin/NO potions, the mining helmet, the Orb, or the fairy bell (though I may start with that, as it was actually pretty cool when I tested it out). I just carry a couple stacks of torches whenever I go cave-diving and set them up all over the place. One last thing: the Star Cloak is hilarous. I am tempted to try beating some pre-hardmode bosses using no weapons or consumables, just to see if I can.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: December 08, 2011, 11:21:10 am »

One last thing: the Star Cloak is hilarous. I am tempted to try beating some pre-hardmode bosses using no weapons or consumables, just to see if I can.

Do it while wearing mid-game grade armor, except molten.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: December 08, 2011, 01:15:07 pm »

Edit: I know about the shift light, but it's highly context sensitive. You can only really use it for light when your cursor is far away from your character, because then it'll think you want to mine a wall or hammer a backwall or something. And the general annoyance of either being able to see anything or being able to do anything a-la Doom 3.

I'm okay with placing torches everywhere, but it can be problematic in a firefight.

Here's a trick I find useful when I'm in a dramatic fight. Shift clicking away from you activates glowsticks, so if I can't see crap and I'm being ganked I just spam a few glowsticks around.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: December 08, 2011, 02:59:59 pm »

Ok, i've been grinding Falcor for awhile now. Huzzah for flight!
Everybody!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: December 08, 2011, 04:03:35 pm »

Is hardmode more difficult or are there some stuff you can only get in that mode?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: December 08, 2011, 04:04:34 pm »

There's new ores, and an assload of new items. And enemies that hit like trucks and have much more health.

*Hugs*

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: December 08, 2011, 04:06:01 pm »

And a new NPC.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: December 08, 2011, 04:06:13 pm »

Yeah.
And as we know, trucks have a lot of health!
Everybody!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: December 08, 2011, 05:41:37 pm »

You can also get wings and a flamethrower.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: December 08, 2011, 05:50:06 pm »

Each 'class' seems to do better at different things in theory. Melee is the best for cave diving, where you can get in close with things in tight tunnels and not care. Ranged attacks are required for bosses and absolutely maul anything at range. Magic is a bit of an odd jack of all trades. It doesn't cost you anything in the long-term to use so it's ideal for cave diving, but it is also strong enough to take on bosses. Bosses will require mana potions though.

Magic is a bit of a weird one that could use some more specialization, but the other two have specific situations where they shine. And boy do they shine.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: December 08, 2011, 05:51:52 pm »

The shotgun plus crystal shot is arguably better in close then melee users, and with the right setup, enchantments and a critical can kill 200hp enemy's in a single shot. At this point I'm not seeing the point of going full melee if you have the money to burn and make it unreal.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: December 08, 2011, 05:59:34 pm »

Yeah, it's kind of bizarre how 90% the game favors meele spam, but the bosses favor ranged spam. I keep hoping they're going to move forward in some meaningful way on "classes" because honestly it feels like a mostly pointless distinction. More gear that has an actual impact on gameplay (can you imagine how much different melee would be if armor affected movement speed?), as opposed to one more variety of slash or shot or blast.

I think if things had different armor values versus different weapons, and they actually had melee attacks instead of just always body slamming the player...people would see a real point to playing something other than meele. But every single person in the game is a hybrid, and it sucks the life out of half of the items they create when no one will use them for any extended period of time.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: December 08, 2011, 06:07:34 pm »

I would like something that makes melee a bit more viable.  Maybe a new armor set that had negatives like removing mana regen and halving ranged firerate to offset a really huge melee perk.

You need to farm a breaker blade from the wall!

next best thing to excalibur, with enough knockback to push a unicorn off you.

seriously, the knockback and giant size of the blade outclass all the non-hallow meelee weapons, except dao of pow.

If you want a spear, the dark lance is also very strong in meelee range, again, with a decent amount of knockback.

As well, with sufficient armour, you can just stand still and plant the tao of pow on the ground while tanking the destroyer.

with cross, philo, regen bracelet, ironskin, regen pot.

He just finds his innerpieces rapidly.

used like two hp pots.

I really don't like how you can barely kill most endgame monsters with a full bar of mana using most spells.

Demon scythe is like one of the few mana-efficient spells and only does that in meelee range.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 06:18:16 pm by eerr »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: December 08, 2011, 06:08:16 pm »

Originally Magic's weakness was that it simply wasn't powerful enough for how unreliable it was since everything would respawn FAST!
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 887