Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261547 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #7305 on: December 15, 2011, 08:43:22 am »

Not. All. Planets. Spin. The. Same. Direction.

Napstsd.

West is left. Left is beautiful. West is beauty. Real-world-centrists! CAST OFF YOUR CHAINS! Today, the sun rises in the west. Embrace it.

By which I mean free for all PvP flamethrower fight at dawn. Feel the burn, heeheehee.

Or the game's perspective camera is just facing the wrong direction. From North to South instead of South to North.

Basically, this. West is left, east is right. Either the camera is facing south or the sun rises in the west, either makes sense and will give you a reliable direction for the goblin invasion.
The camera pointing 'south' wouldn't matter on the west/east thing. West is west and the sun always sets there on Earth. In Terraria the sun rises in the West, period. If the camera were simply pointing south, the sun would rise from the right and set on the left.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: December 15, 2011, 08:58:12 am »

Isn't it Xmas update day?

yup, holiday content. Most likely in 4 hrs.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: December 15, 2011, 08:59:47 am »

In Terraria the sun rises in the West, period.
No it doesn't.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: December 15, 2011, 09:24:44 am »

Well, according to NASA, Venus rotates from east to west.  Maps of Venus also have east and west on the same side as earth maps.  So this means that the sun rises in the west on Venus.

So unless we know exactly which way North and South are (towards the background or foreground, I suppose) there's no way of telling which way east is other than what the game says.

"East is where the sun rises." only works on Earth.

Also, goblin invasions are buggy.  I've had goblins approach from both the east and west and they both arrived from the same direction.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: December 15, 2011, 09:27:13 am »

there's no way of telling which way east is other than what the game says.
"I can't believe they tied me up and left me here just for pointing out that they weren't going east!"(Referring to the fact that the visual in Terraria is facing South, and West and East are thus swapped from their usual directions)

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: December 15, 2011, 10:04:19 am »

there's no way of telling which way east is other than what the game says.
"I can't believe they tied me up and left me here just for pointing out that they weren't going east!"(Referring to the fact that the visual in Terraria is facing South, and West and East are thus swapped from their usual directions)

Tthere's no way of telling which way east is other than what the game says.

(Or the developers of course)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: December 15, 2011, 10:09:52 am »

What I was trying to say is, if the game outright tells you where east is, why would you need another source?

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: December 15, 2011, 10:19:10 am »

It's not a matter of what is east and west so much as it is that the sun rises and sets in the "wrong" direction, or at least one uncommon to us. But it really is irrelevant. East is always traditionally right, and west is always traditionally left, at least it is while looking at any world map. Thus, the sun rising in the west really has no meaning as long as you stick to the "east is right, west is left" principle.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: December 15, 2011, 10:23:12 am »

Look to the south. Look where the sun rises and sets.

The W=Left and E=Right thing only works if you look northwards.

Unless you live in the southern hemisphere that is. But the developers and the majority of the players live on the northern hemisphere so the players being there too only makes sense.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 10:25:00 am by Darvi »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: December 15, 2011, 10:39:26 am »

Y'know what scrap the entire argument because the wiki itself ain't even consistent about cardinal directions.

Which was actually to be expected from wikia.

Shit was that a double post?

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: December 15, 2011, 10:42:36 am »

The source of the confusion is the direction from which goblin invasions arrive after they have announced their approach.  I've had East and West goblin armies both approach from the left.  The goblin tinkerer's comment is just a jab at both the general stupidity of goblins and arguments about where the sun ought to rise and set.
According to the wiki, Goblin armies most often arrive from the left when they say East, so that should be about right.
NINJA EDIT: According to the other wiki east means right, so yeah, wiki fail.

What I was trying to say was that the direction of the sun rising and setting is not an indicator of where east and west are, even though it is correct in this case. (Or not, ninja edit again)

What I was trying to say is, if the game outright tells you where east is, why would you need another source?

Because the game could be wrong! ;) It isn't in this case, but imagine if some new content appears that indicates the camera as facing north. (A North Pole sign in the background or something. Could fit with the snowy theme, I dunno) Just accepting what the game says because it's a game and set in another world doesn't always work, some concepts are immutable.

I'm going to make a game set on the inside of a hollow planet with gaps so you can see the sun rise and set. That'll show those mapmakers.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: December 15, 2011, 10:43:38 am »

Maybe goblins just don't know which direction is east or west.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: December 15, 2011, 10:45:15 am »

Maybe goblins just don't know which direction is east or west.
That they do.

Which actually gives a context to the unreliability of the A Goblin Army is approaching from the [east/west]! warnings.

Just accepting what the game says because it's a game and set in another world doesn't always work, some concepts are immutable.
If the information given by the game is relevant to the game itself, then it's safe to assume that it is correct (unless we're talking about bastard games that outright lie to you).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7318 on: December 15, 2011, 10:46:12 am »

I don't understand why anyone cares about this at all.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: December 15, 2011, 10:47:07 am »

I don't understand why anyone cares about this at all.
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 887