Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254268 times)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #7605 on: December 21, 2011, 10:58:11 pm »

Speaking of prefixes, I think it's harder to get all the items without prefixes than with the best ones. Because it's easier to reforge than completely remake with new materials, and you can't deforge.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7606 on: December 21, 2011, 11:12:22 pm »

Also of note: I got a LOT better performance when I turned off the background.  Normally my FPS would skyrocket when I got to ~100 feet below.  I turned off the background and my FPS is great everywhere.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7607 on: December 22, 2011, 01:44:49 am »

Also of note: I got a LOT better performance when I turned off the background.  Normally my FPS would skyrocket when I got to ~100 feet below.  I turned off the background and my FPS is great everywhere.
I always thought the continuous block detection to set the background would be heavy.

I guess it is.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7608 on: December 22, 2011, 01:49:09 am »

It does the block checking either way, as it needs to know what music to play and what monsters to spawn. You didn't think it did these checks independently did you? That would be even worse!

No, the lag from the background is because it puts effort into the clouds. Yes, I shit you not. Each update it goes and figures out how many clouds are on screen, where they are, if it needs to spawn any more, and it does this using a bitch of an algorithm.

Redigit is not a good programmer.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7609 on: December 22, 2011, 01:58:24 am »

[insert obligatory "BETTER THAN NOTCH OMGFG MINECARFT IS TEH SUXXORZ" comment here]
:P
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7610 on: December 22, 2011, 02:16:22 am »

What? No, I mean Notch's code was pretty bad for a while there, but he has cleaned it up a bit since then. Redigit is pretty much a maverick. Can't comment on Toady, as he's code remains a artefact of legends, unseen by mortal eyes.

You see that bit on the loading screen that says 'Resetting game objects'? If Redigit had any sort of architecture in he's code, he wouldn't need to do that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7611 on: December 22, 2011, 02:40:49 am »

Well I got as far in Terraria as I could go. So I'll consider the game finished now.

Especially since I already have my ultimate treehouse Tranquil world.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 02:50:24 am by Neonivek »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7612 on: December 22, 2011, 03:11:42 am »

It does the block checking either way, as it needs to know what music to play and what monsters to spawn. You didn't think it did these checks independently did you? That would be even worse!

No, the lag from the background is because it puts effort into the clouds. Yes, I shit you not. Each update it goes and figures out how many clouds are on screen, where they are, if it needs to spawn any more, and it does this using a bitch of an algorithm.

Redigit is not a good programmer.

I certainly agree with you. It takes oh so long to load a world, and the new lighting code is a horror to older computers.

Maybe he should brainstorm, clean up and simplify his code before attempting to add features. Heck, I'd like to see him make a performance patch, before churning up item updates.

On a slightly unrelated note, his code for multiplayer is so abyssmal, others could just use client hacks and spawn items on the fly without any server-side interference. He really should revamp most existing multiplayer features, like restricting a lot of things to server-side, to prevent potential griefing.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7613 on: December 22, 2011, 03:17:30 am »

Kinda funny people are just noticing this now.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7614 on: December 22, 2011, 03:19:24 am »

Mostly it's the lighting update. It would be nice if I vould actually use it.

Someone should tell him to do a performance and bugfix improvement update. That would rock.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7615 on: December 22, 2011, 03:32:36 am »

See that is the thing. I'm not sure he knows how to improve the performance, especially in the way of multiplayer code.
He hasn't shown any understanding of inheritance and polymorphism, so don't cross your fingers when more complex things like remoting is involved. Bit of a shame...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7616 on: December 22, 2011, 03:42:02 am »

See that is the thing. I'm not sure he knows how to improve the performance, especially in the way of multiplayer code.
He hasn't shown any understanding of inheritance and polymorphism, so don't cross your fingers when more complex things like remoting is involved. Bit of a shame...

I don't feel it is that.

It is that Terraria wasn't going to be a game he continuously improved. His interviews and blogs MORE then demonstrated that.

Terraria was always going to be a content dump and that is what he wanted Terraria to be.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7617 on: December 22, 2011, 03:48:47 am »

Really?
Wow... Well that is a bit of a shame.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7618 on: December 22, 2011, 03:37:25 pm »

The new lighting code works just fine here. Running it at 60 frames per second all the time with frameskip off and backgrounds on and everything turned all the way up on 1920x1080.  8)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7619 on: December 22, 2011, 03:38:08 pm »

I have everything maxed too, and my computer is 5 years old (and was pretty shitty for the time).
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 [508] 509 510 ... 887