Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1261649 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #7740 on: December 25, 2011, 12:58:17 am »

Personally, I'd say choose Terraria, but if you don't like constructing shelters, metroidvania gameplay and grinding that much, then yeah, choose what you want.

But Terraria kept my interest for it last for at least a whole month or so, so yeah. Your call.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7741 on: December 25, 2011, 01:39:47 am »

Ha, funny you should say that...  Unreal World is VERY concerned with grinding and building shelters!  By contrast Terraria is an FPS!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7742 on: December 25, 2011, 01:46:15 am »

Then again, the other's a roguelike, and this one's a metroidvania.

Seriously though, I really should've looked it up before I posted that, but internet is being a christmas a**hole.

/alibi

Also, starting to get an interest on that game, since I like roguelikes. Might go through the whole thread to read what that really is about.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: December 25, 2011, 01:53:55 am »

Basically, it's about survival in early iron age in the far far north.  I think it's specifically Finland in design.  It's extremely day-to-day droll survival, but there's a certain excitement and zen in that isn't there?  Focuses a lot on hunting, fishing, shelter, stocking food for winter (when you can really really risk starving), staying warm and avoiding frostbite during winter, and generally the toils of not dying.  If you've played Haven and Hearth you know the style, except that hunger is a much more motivating factor.  It's HnH if it were made into a Roguelike.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7744 on: December 25, 2011, 05:51:49 am »

Well, I traded some things on steam (9 coal and some useless coupons) for it. So who knows? Might be able to get both!

Anyone notice that the coal price has gone down significantly as well? Went from around $1.80 to 60c ish.

On topic, any bay 12 Terraria servers?
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: December 25, 2011, 05:55:17 am »

Well, I traded some things on steam (9 coal and some useless coupons) for it. So who knows? Might be able to get both!

Anyone notice that the coal price has gone down significantly as well? Went from around $1.80 to 60c ish.

Kael's, Aklyon's.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

lavenders2

• Bay Watcher
  • The cheese stands alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7746 on: December 25, 2011, 06:01:34 am »

Kael's, Aklyon's.

Thank you! Will be checking those out tomorrow
Economies of scale: Dathominion Co.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7747 on: December 25, 2011, 07:35:02 am »

The village of Iunmud located in central(?) part of jungle has been built!

I live there with Wolf. Two small houses are open for taking. I need someone who will tend to daybloom and other person who will spelunky in the jungle caves or help us with that.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: on Kael's server :v
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 07:42:02 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #7748 on: December 25, 2011, 08:25:25 am »

Actually, in my central world I plan on terraforming a bit.  Mainly dynamite terraforming style...  And then importing a lot of rock and sand to brush over.  The whole plan is to make a very extensive area to utilize that mermaid shell, quite possibly with an entire underwater base with a few NPCs (since they don't care about air).  Lighting will have to be creative, probably some water candles or something that will stay lit underwater.  Do water candles or chandeliers stay lit?  If nothing else, tiny air bubbles to put a torch in.  And plan to abuse the whole thing with some street lamps, as I'm fairly sure those will stay lit (on account of the glass).  I know that cursed torches will stay lit, but apparently they disappear after a time, so that's not viable.  I was originally planning a proper "sunken city" with nice walkways and buildings and then flood the whole thing, but I may do a ship now...
Maybe dig out a tiny air bubble for a torch to reside in? Wouldn't be super pretty (unless you're a superb designer), but i THINK it would work. This comes from a guy who builds bog-standard skyscrapers, though. But hey, skyscrapers are practical and accessible! At one point though, i should build a hexagonal structure. Or octagonal. Or pentagonal. SOMETHING THAT ISN'T A RECTANGLE.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7749 on: December 25, 2011, 08:43:33 am »

Sticky glowsticks?

I usually build wooden castle-things but have a plan for a dwarven fortress. With a huge trap corridor... mwahahahaha
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: December 25, 2011, 09:06:07 am »

Those don't persist. They pop off the wall after 5 minutes, where they have a chance of being collectable again. They'll disappear eventually like any other dropped item.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7751 on: December 25, 2011, 09:42:38 am »

Fortress made of clownproof dungeon brick?  Check. tree and shroom farms protected by 3 tile thick grey stone?  Check.  Magma moat with retractable bridge? Check.  Repeating dart traps on the walls? Check.  Bring on the hard mode.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7752 on: December 25, 2011, 09:43:50 am »

Fortress made of clownproof dungeon brick?  Check. tree and shroom farms protected by 3 tile thick grey stone?  Check.  Magma moat with retractable bridge? Check.  Repeating dart traps on the walls? Check.  Bring on the hard mode.

I made levitating base with just double latches in airlock for defenses.

Still floating with chill~
SigFlags!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: December 25, 2011, 09:49:31 am »

I just create a new world whenever I want to use hardmode stuff :P
*Hugs*

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7754 on: December 25, 2011, 10:51:32 am »

I'm debating how to include convenient torches, and so far my best idea seems to be "make it decrepit" and to include "broken patches" that could look messy using different walls.  If you put stone brick walls and rough stone walls close together in bad patchwork, it looks particularly messy and damaged, like an old sunken ship (made of stone, because Dwarves).  Using that trick, it wouldn't be hard to simulate a lopsided and damaged structure or ship, with a few scarce airbubbles remaining.  After all, it just needs 1 torch to count for NPC housing, the main lighting can be more creative, like streep lamps and such.

Actually, forget all that, I just checked the wiki, and there's a ton of waterproof light sources, most of which count towards NPC requirements.  In particular, the chain lantern appears to be legit and makes sense that it's waterproof.  Chandeliers may be valid idea as well, but overall I fear that the thickness of water will force me to need many light sources.

Also many lights can be toggled with wire for extra fun.
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 887