Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254383 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.1 released!
« Reply #9090 on: April 07, 2013, 05:36:42 pm »

Also, I clocked over 200 hours on Terraria. I think that's value for money

Time doesn't equal worth. In fact it is far from it.

It isn't even a component of worth.

I've clocked hours upon hours on terrible games I should have never bought, but never once did I go "well I played this for 200 hours, this must have been worth every penny".

A better measure is how fulfilling the game was. So next time say instead "I clocked over 200 of very entertaining hours on Terraria" instead of "Ohh... I played Terraria for a long time and thus the game is good"

An interesting way of looking at it. I haven't really thought of games as NOT a waste of time, but in hindsight, I think I could name a few that could be considered "fulfilling". Not really the gameplay parts, though. Like, the old Infinity Engine RPGs had very engaging stories, but all the combat and walking around, which definitely takes most of the time, was really just make-work to pad it out. It helped with the pacing, and killing things and going to new places created a sense of advancement that gave me an endorphine rush, but I can't really call it a meaningful experience by itself. Yeah, I'm having a hard time thinking of gameplay that wasn't a fancy timesink.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9091 on: April 07, 2013, 06:11:11 pm »

It is the point of addiction based gameplay where you aren't playing because the game is "fun" but because the game is addictive.

Out of interest, what's the difference between playing a game because you find it 'fun' and playing a game because 'it is addictive'?  Serious question, because I can't think how to clearly define the difference between the two.

Getting addicted to something because it is very fun is fine for the most part and has nothing to do with addiction based gameplay.

Getting addicted to a game because "it is addictive" however doesn't necessarily mean you are having fun. Specifically it means you "aren't having fun" you are just playing the game for the sake of playing the game. Think of it like a OCD to keep playing the game.

Addition based gameplay is when a game specifically seeks out this result. This occurs because human beings are equipped for ritualistic (repetitive) actions.

Terraria however isn't that, it is very grindy (and hard mode is WAAAY to grindy) but I don't get the impression that it is intentionally trying to addict or induct anyone. Though I have a feeling adding a LOT more grinding in hardmode made a lot of the fanbase have more "fun". So it does support the addiction argument if anyone made it.
I guess I don't think this way because I simply don't play a game if I'm not enjoying it, so time spent playing IS a valid metric for measuring how much I liked a game.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9092 on: April 07, 2013, 07:31:34 pm »

I measure worth of a game in 1 dollar/hour. If I spent more hours in it than what I payed for it, then it is worth it. Terraria has payed off in this regard.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9093 on: April 07, 2013, 07:41:43 pm »

I measure worth of a game in 1 dollar/hour. If I spent more hours in it than what I payed for it, then it is worth it. Terraria has payed off in this regard.
Despite what the nay-sayers say, this is actually a decent metric. If you could see my Steam list, you'd see some games with dozens of hours played while other games have half an hour or so. Sometimes this is due to hardware (I can't run this game at all! Better hold off on playing it until I can upgrade), but most of the time it's because I either enjoyed the game or didn't.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9094 on: April 07, 2013, 07:43:18 pm »

Despite what the nay-sayers say, this is actually a decent metric. If you could see my Steam list, you'd see some games with dozens of hours played while other games have half an hour or so. Sometimes this is due to hardware (I can't run this game at all! Better hold off on playing it until I can upgrade), but most of the time it's because I either enjoyed the game or didn't.

Perfect, note to self: Pad games like crazy.

I'd be joking if it wasn't true that game developers noticed that padding a game out to take longer, with less content, actually makes people rate the game higher due to the time factor (The worst being games that advertise themselves as requiring an obsessive amount of time...)

Of course you won't play bad games a long time, but give all your games a good look. They don't follow a "Fun - Time" ratio.

As well look at the ones that were fun and separate the time into fun time and boring time. La Pucile for example was fun, but the "End game grind" wasn't it was just a slog.

Not understanding the difference between time and quality is just going to hurt you eventually... I don't even have to convince you otherwise, it will happen.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 07:47:49 pm by Neonivek »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9095 on: April 07, 2013, 07:51:15 pm »

If a game is overly 'padded' with unfun content then it won't actually be fun and I'll stop playing it. I've always done this. Sometimes I only enjoy the first few hours of a game, then hit a section of grindy or boring content so I stop playing.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9096 on: April 07, 2013, 07:52:40 pm »

If a game is overly 'padded' with unfun content then it won't actually be fun and I'll stop playing it. I've always done this. Sometimes I only enjoy the first few hours of a game, then hit a section of grindy or boring content so I stop playing.
This happens to probably 95% of the MMOs I've played.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9097 on: April 07, 2013, 07:53:51 pm »

Indeed. There are very few MMO's I've played longer than 3-5 hours. Fewer still longer than 20 hours.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9098 on: April 07, 2013, 07:54:54 pm »

Then the trick is to make it not so fun as to get bored with it, but so barely not unfun as so you keep playing.

As well remember the conditions
1) The game must be fun
2) The measure of how fun the game was is time

Thus if the game has a lot of padding but is still overall fun... then it will, to your metric, be more fun then a game that was a blast but only lasted 10 hours.

Which is why it is important when measuring Terraria... Was it 10 hours of fun spread over 200? or was it 200 hours of fun?

I like games that last a while (It is why I don't like the current batch of point and clicks... they are extremely short... too short to be enjoyable for me) but I have long since recognized the difference between a 20 hour blast and a 50 hour fun time.

I can never get past the midgame slog. It is what kills me because MMOs are based off of two things:
1) The start of the game being fun because of its brisk system and fun early game bosses
2) The end game where the game starts to be unlocked.

The Mid game slog is just outright terrible. Heck for Tera I never got past the starting area as it is the WORST game EVER when it comes to the grinding slog.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 07:58:48 pm by Neonivek »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9099 on: April 07, 2013, 07:59:46 pm »

Then the trick is to make it not so fun as to get bored with it, but so barely not unfun as so you keep playing.

1) The game must be fun

Thus if the game has a lot of padding but is still overall fun... then it will, to your metric, be more fun then a game that was a blast but only lasted 10 hours.

Which is why it is important when measuring Terraria... Was it 10 hours of fun spread over 200? or was it 200 hours of fun?
Again, this question is only meaningful for people who play while not having fun. If you are only playing while you are enjoying the game, there is no distinction. Time played = time having fun. I enjoy Terraria. I enjoy mining resources, I like crafting equipment, I like the sense of progress from upgrading things, i like designing and building new things. There is no part of Terraria I did not enjoy. When I stopped having fun due to repetition or grind or whatever, I stopped playing and came back later when I was in the mood and found it enjoyable again.

So again, why would you play a game (a product designed to entertain you) if you are not actually entertained? This is like watching a movie which you think is terrible. Why would you continue to watch the movie? In the vague hope that it would suddenly become good? I do the same thing with movies... if I don't like them I stop watching or I leave. I've walked out on movies before in the theatre, or shut them off midway through at home.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9100 on: April 07, 2013, 08:01:17 pm »

1) The game must be fun

Again, this question is only meaningful for people who play while not having fun. If you are only playing while you are enjoying the game, there is no distinction. Time played = time having fun. I enjoy Terraria. I enjoy mining resources, I like crafting equipment, I like the sense of progress from upgrading things, i like designing and building new things. There is no part of Terraria I did not enjoy. When I stopped having fun due to repetition or grind or whatever, I stopped playing and came back later when I was in the mood and found it enjoyable again.

So again, why would you play a game (a product designed to entertain you) if you are not actually entertained? This is like watching a movie which you think is terrible. Why would you continue to watch the movie? In the vague hope that it would suddenly become good? I do the same thing with movies... if I don't like them I stop watching or I leave. I've walked out on movies before in the theatre, or shut them off midway through at home.
To be fair, there are times when it's fun to watch a terrible movie or play a terrible game. You have to be in the proper mood for it though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9101 on: April 07, 2013, 08:04:21 pm »

Again, this question is only meaningful for people who play while not having fun. So again, why would you play a game (a product designed to entertain you) if you are not actually entertained? This is like watching a movie which you think is terrible. Why would you continue to watch the movie? In the vague hope that it would suddenly become good?

It is extremely common for people to watch through boring sections of a movie to get to the good sections or to bolster the later sections.

In fact your attitude towards the game is more rare. A enjoyment of the most boring and tedius sections of the game. The fact that you prefe... wait a minute

I like the sense of progress

And there is your answer Forsaken1111

Why do people play boring parts of a game? because of the sense of progress. Endless endless progress.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9102 on: April 07, 2013, 08:06:09 pm »

To be fair, there are times when it's fun to watch a terrible movie or play a terrible game. You have to be in the proper mood for it though.
True, but in such a situation you're being entertained.

I like the sense of progress

And there is your answer Forsaken1111

Why do people play boring parts of a game? because of the sense of progress. Endless endless progress.
They aren't boring to me, I enjoy them. What I enjoy, others may find boring. What I dislike, others might enjoy. This is normal.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9103 on: April 07, 2013, 08:07:02 pm »

They aren't boring to me, I enjoy them. What I enjoy, others may find boring. What I dislike, others might enjoy. This is normal

Mind you, it still doesn't prove your metric. As it implies that all fun time is equal to you.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9104 on: April 07, 2013, 08:07:09 pm »

I've certainly found myself playing or sitting through less or even unenjoyable sections of a game because between those sections are others that I enjoy. The sailing in Zelda: Wind Waker got to be tedious but was worth it for the rest. In both Minecraft and Terraria I found myself getting bored of resource collection but ultimately enjoyed my constructions more for the effort than if I'd just given myself the items. The Mario Galaxy games and their unskippable cutscenes.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 605 606 [607] 608 609 ... 887