Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254307 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.2 now out!
« Reply #11220 on: May 11, 2014, 07:49:19 pm »

Hmm...how much self-sufficiency would you say is possible in this game? I've contemplated making a sort of Skyblock-style survival map: a small chunk of dirt with a single tree, floating in midair with a few scattered islands containing treasures and a small number of special blocks. Problem is that I don't know how many resources a player can produce on his own. The only one that comes to mind is wood. Maybe dirt if a Rod of Dirt can be found or bought. But other than that, selection is somewhat limited.

Don't forget about water and lava for obsidian generators.
Lava and water get used up, though. Not truly self-sufficient, and you need a decently powerful pick to break obsidian.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11221 on: May 11, 2014, 07:51:23 pm »

Obsidian is, in theory, infinite with a proper lava generator. Other resources would be all the herbs, cacti, the woods, sand with a specific setup of armor, and fallen stars, with a similar setup. Other then that, I'm not too sure.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11222 on: May 11, 2014, 08:30:52 pm »

Obsidian is, in theory, infinite with a proper lava generator. Other resources would be all the herbs, cacti, the woods, sand with a specific setup of armor, and fallen stars, with a similar setup. Other then that, I'm not too sure.

With proper set-up, you could have infinite Chlorophyte (grown from the Jumgle) and infinite drops from various bosses. Also, infinite mushrooms.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11223 on: May 11, 2014, 08:43:02 pm »

I just got terraria as part of a 4 pack. Only played for a few mins on single player, whats the multiplayer like, and do we have any servers?

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11224 on: May 11, 2014, 09:21:31 pm »

Forsaken has put a server. Multiplayer is fun.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11225 on: May 11, 2014, 10:11:16 pm »

Hmm...how much self-sufficiency would you say is possible in this game? I've contemplated making a sort of Skyblock-style survival map: a small chunk of dirt with a single tree, floating in midair with a few scattered islands containing treasures and a small number of special blocks. Problem is that I don't know how many resources a player can produce on his own. The only one that comes to mind is wood. Maybe dirt if a Rod of Dirt can be found or bought. But other than that, selection is somewhat limited.

Little bit of Wiki poking adds:
  • Wood, like you said.
  • Plants and herbs, like beorn said. Also mushrooms, if that wasn't clear enough.
  • Fallen stars, ditto.
  • Lava and water, ditto ditto. Honey, too. Note this is maybe a way to make honey relevant as a healing item.
  • Antlions shoot sand at you, so a properly set-up shooting range makes that renewable. That also means glass and potions and so on are all renewable.
  • Cobwebs are only renewable in a spider nest, as far as I know.
  • Grass gives you seeds as a farmable ammo for blowpipes.
  • Living wood and leaves are both placeable with a wand and wood.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11226 on: May 11, 2014, 10:30:19 pm »

Mm... you might be able to work out something with fishing now, too, though that requires sufficient grass to trigger bait and a biome (possibly impossible, since you can't produce dirt, s'far as I'm aware).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11227 on: May 11, 2014, 10:38:43 pm »

Mm... you might be able to work out something with fishing now, too, though that requires sufficient grass to trigger bait and a biome (possibly impossible, since you can't produce dirt, s'far as I'm aware).
Rod of dirt? Or was that patched out?

Little bit of Wiki poking adds:
-snip-
Awesome, thanks. Anyone know how much sand is needed to make a desert biome (and thus make antlions spawn)?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11228 on: May 11, 2014, 10:47:21 pm »

Rod of dirt moves dirt. It doesn't make dirt. It's just a toy that lets you move a block of dirt at a distance. Unless one of the more recent patches changed things, anyway.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11229 on: May 11, 2014, 11:19:24 pm »

...Ohhhhhh. I never actually got it, but my impression was that it created dirt  :-[
So that means dirt is a non-renewable resource along with metal, stone, and all sorts of other basic things. Well, I guess that's why its a challenge!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11230 on: May 12, 2014, 12:08:36 am »

Yeeeup. And a lot of the renewable stuff (trees, plants -- barring clay pots, but clay itself can't be produced -- subsequently bait and blowpipe ammo...) are reliant on dirt (or mud, but that has the same problem as dirt :P).

'Course, what you could probably do is kick off something like the mods used in things like minecraft's Feed the Beast and just provide new and annoyingly difficult ways to get access to new stuff.

Incidentally, one of the Dark Souls mod's custom-built maps is a sky-island type dealio a lot like what you're talking about, at least to the extent Terraria can mimic it given that there's considerably fewer renewable resources. Fairly sure there's a few other sky island based maps running around, too.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11231 on: May 12, 2014, 12:13:04 am »

I'd be very surprised if there weren't a few sky-island-based maps running around, to be honest.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11232 on: May 12, 2014, 09:33:26 am »

For skyblocking to be at all possible, you'd need a mod for Terraria equivalent to Ex Nihilo, which is a pretty large mod, all things considered.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #11233 on: May 12, 2014, 10:35:26 am »

Awesome, thanks. Anyone know how much sand is needed to make a desert biome (and thus make antlions spawn)?

I've seen the number 1000.  It's not in the biome-override code (e.g. meteor, corruption) so I'm not really sure how it's calculated.

EDIT: sandTiles is checked in several places in the code, and I'm not quite sure which one would apply, but it's probably 1000.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:53:59 am by 0x517A5D »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11234 on: May 12, 2014, 10:42:48 am »

I've seen the number 1000.  It's not in the biome-override code (e.g. meteor, corruption) so I'm not really sure how it's calculated.
From the wiki:

A desert is considered a desert as long as there are at least 1000 sand blocks

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Desert
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 887