Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254417 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12585 on: October 06, 2017, 11:04:00 pm »

the hellevator was left on standby because of obsidian. found more hearts but not enough to get max life yet. there was another blood moon after patchwerk, it was lagging a bit because of all the guts and parts laying around the base. the magik staff is good, or at least it is taking down these mobs, the only inconveniences were the stabbed zombies and the abominations. outside of that the thing was doable. now that i need a stronger pickaxe im gonna lay down a bit and do fishin, need the extractinator to process some silt/slush stocks. the basement has been walled correctly, so theres only going up for the base.

EDIT:

in order to speed things around, i explored the underground desert a bit. found a cabin with the extractinator. got the mandible blade on the same place. processed the silt and slush that was sitting around in the storage and got enough to make an amber ring and to make the amber enhanced magik staff.

with that and a enchantress sword i should be able to fight the EoC. the potions and the arena are ready. total armor is roughly equal to tungsten (thanks to some defensive modifiers in equipment). extra espelunking also revealed 2 more heart crystals and cabins, the snowball cannon was found but no lava charms or other bands of regeneration. and found a coin bag mimic that dropped an ancient drachma, so now i have a coinling following me around.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:47:02 am by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12586 on: October 07, 2017, 01:00:47 pm »

one of those flamekin mobs dropped a molten scale, 4 defense and on fire on contact is a 50/50 item taking in account that my character can catch fire too. still, good defense. with that i upped to 19 defense, similar to gold/plat. enough to kill the EoC here, and then in a crimson normal world. explored the west end of the map and turns out the corruption is only in 1 side. im gonna put the crimson in between to keep it contained.

the tundra should also keep the corruption out of the center. however, there's still chance that killing the WoF will spawn corruption in the other end of the map, lets hope it puts hallow instead. and well, with that. i just need to farm goblins for the standard and kill the EoW and BoC. also, gotta fish a lot for those thorium material crates. i got the sonar equipment in one of those >:v

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12587 on: October 07, 2017, 05:07:14 pm »

https://imgur.com/KZA7vvf

started the 3rd floor of the building. the idea is to mark each floor with a different furniture set. first floor is the access one so 2nd has wood walls, 3rd has boreal wood and so on. im curently waiting on a second harvest of boreal wood for the furniture. its boxy but well, its a hotel (glad this mod adds a cook to go with the theme).

as for the adventure, the surface has been mapped at last, bridged every corrupted chasm with platforms and planted the crimson seeds. further exploration in the underground desert revealed a lot of statues, got like 3 star statues and completed the heart crystals needed to get max life. got some strange crates and bags of potential but it hasnt give anything usefull. there's a few acuatic bars or whatever they are called but not enough for the diving armor. same for thorium, not enough for a full armor, dont really need it either since i have enough defense for the next bosses.

cant wait to replace the dynasty wood too. the wall is good, but the block is horrible for building, since i'll have to wait for harmode to get pearlsand/pearlstone brick well, im gonna wait to see if i can paint smoth granite in a greyish/whiteish  color.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #12588 on: October 07, 2017, 08:42:50 pm »

im gonna wait to see if i can paint smoth granite in a greyish/whiteish  color.

If you want completely one-color backgrounds, gemspark walls can do that.  Diamond gemspark walls come in #808080 grey and #FFFFFF white. 

Of course, you may want to use diamonds to make a grapple or magic weapons/armor.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12589 on: October 07, 2017, 09:26:17 pm »

i only have a handfull of diamonds, not enough to make anything outside of Pierce. i havent got a hook anyways. RNG is a bit stale now.

ok, 3rd floor completed. gonna wait for the last batch of boreal wood to grow then change to palm wood. cobbler, blacksmith, painter and demolitionist have already joined. smashed 2 shadow orbs because it seems i need meteorite biome for crafting one of the thorium bosses summoning item. no sign of one falling (yet). and no goblins in the map borders either. i got the musk...errr hunting rifle and the vilethorn.

right now im farming for the depth meter and granite. smooth granite painted white seems promising as an alternative to pearlstone bricks. i've also gotten a lot of ebonstone but since i need 2 of them to make the brick, it will take a while to get enough for making the lower part of the hellevator. i want to get the depth meter first to measure the limit.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12590 on: October 07, 2017, 09:32:16 pm »

You don't actually need hooks to make gem grappling hooks. FYI
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12591 on: October 07, 2017, 10:12:46 pm »

Wall construction aside, if you do want a grappling hook, you can also pick up upgraded grappling hooks from fishing quests, farming King Slimes or Skeletron, or by constructing it using vines and spores from the Underground Jungle, so crafting one out of either hooks or diamonds isn't a particularly critical notion.  If you wait until the 20th of this month, the Halloween event will also give you a shot at a special grappling hook at rather poor, but technically non-zero odds from Goodie Bags.  If RNG is a bit stale now, though, grab-bag roulette is almost certainly not going to be a viable option. :P
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 10:14:43 pm by Culise »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12592 on: October 07, 2017, 11:09:05 pm »

i usually farm for the grappling hook materials, save the gems for more powerfull stuff. however, Thorium adds some early game stuff that makes up for the investment and i havent really needed to go for ores.

now, that may change later. white painted granite is passable but still looks bad. however, since its a non flamable block well, im gonna farm it anyways. may have other uses later. a meteorite landed right on the edge of the corruption. it will be a long trip to farm those materials but i dont really need them yet. the night after the meteorite fell was a slime rain + blood moon combo, with the goblins coming the morning after that.

almost made a stack in slime, there was a fight with king slime but i died (should have prepared the potions, he was almost dead anyways). and half stack of yew wood, enough for doing the 5th floor furniture and wall decoration, also crafted a shadowflame wand, that upped my DPS a lot, it has quick i think, and since it has autocast well, its gonna be nasty against the next bosses. im farming granite and depth meter still, and keeping an eye for that tinkerer.

as for NPCs, the confused zombie came, it replaced the cook that died during the invasion, the desert acolyte also came, both of them have good magic stuff but they came too late. the shadowbeam wand has much better damage.

the 4th floor has been finished, well, need to farm sand for the windows. i also have a shortage of iron, gonna have to farm some or open all the crates i've been saving up from fishing. wasnt expecting to need them, but it seems that will be the case.

the goblin army with these mods is quite hard. the vilethorn was enough to keep control of the enemies but those goblin trappers are a too tough, wasnt expecting the spiky balls. it does them justice to what they are supposed to do. anyways, once i've finished with the rest of the NPCs im gonna tackle the bosses.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:14:21 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12593 on: October 08, 2017, 12:53:30 am »

found the goblin and got enough granite to get up to the 5th floor. the downside is that yew wood doesnt have a full furniture set so i had to leave the beds in storage, instead i used dynasty with yew wood as decoration wall.

bought the workhop, tools, grappling hook and rocket boots as soon as the guy came home. warded some of the accesories and went for the angler. a jellyfish dropped the necklace and had found several hearts while hiding from a blood moon. there's a lot of connections between the different surface tunnels. gotta farm more granite now. and craft more potions for the EoW fight. most of the important NPCs are already in the base.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12594 on: October 08, 2017, 07:52:09 pm »

Alright, so I'm in hard mode now and once again I'm banging my head against the mechanical bosses. I need tips.

Most of the guides I've read recommend hooking up heart and star statues to timers, so you have a steady supply of recovery items in the course of the battles. The problem is, I have zero heart or star statues. There's no easy way to find them either; spelunker potions and metal detectors don't even light up statues, and the underground is so dangerous now that blind digging can lead me straight into a mob of deadly foes.

I have a full set of adamantine armor now, with some defensive accessories pushing my defense up into the 50s. Short of grinding money until everything is Warding, I don't think I can expect to push it up much higher until Hallowed armor and later.

As far as other equipment goes, I have fairy wings (I can farm wyverns pretty well now, though not without some occasional healing) and frostspark boots. Weapons include Night's Edge, Titanium Repeater, Flamelash, Water Bolt (too weak for hard mode, but the bouncing and infinite piercing still come in handy) and this magic sword called Sky Fracture. I also still carry around the sword that got me through normal mode, the Bee Keeper - while it doesn't deal nearly as much damage as the Night's Edge, it autoswings, summons bees on striking an enemy and it can also cause confusion, which does wonders for crowd control but is useless against bosses. Got a bunch of other weapons as well, but most of them are a bit weak for hard mode and I mostly keep them out of sentimentality.

I have a small stockpile of standard buff potions: ironskin, regeneration, endurance, etc. My small herb farm keeps me supplied on the basics. I have more fish than I could possibly eat for the Well Fed buffs. I have campfires, Heart Lamps, and Bottled Stars for as much passive regen as I can manage.

Now you know my situation. What should I do next?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12595 on: October 08, 2017, 08:39:24 pm »

there's a lot of stuff that could be done to improve the odds:

1. replace adamantine armor for titanium armor. not only because of the slightly better stats but also because of the dodging effect.

2. get a star necklace (star cloak + cross necklace)

3. are you using lifeforce potions?

4. are you using the worm scarf?

5. your arena has honey? (i never used it, but it may help)

6. Skeletron Prime is the easier to deal with IMO, people will say the Destroyer but its because they cheese out the match with platforms and a daedalus stormbow, i prefer to fight it on equal ground. the twins are usually left last because of the double battle, using solid blocks instead of platformsm may help against retinazer but it may limit dodging spasmatism.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12596 on: October 08, 2017, 08:41:50 pm »

The twins are easy if you keep running away, I used an asphalt bridge across a long area I built (which also served as quick access to the jungle). The destroyer is very easy, you just need to be high enough that he can't rightfully reach you. I used a Daedalus Stormbow with holy arrows, they rip him apart very quickly (in fact the Stormbow+holly arrow combo is a good weapon for the twins and skeletron prime as well, I think I even used it for taking on the pillars and moon lord as well.) Skeletron prime is a bit harder. If I recall (which I don't very well.) I fought him in a pretty standard arena set up, platforms and stuff around. If I'm remembering right, the stormbow+holly arrows combo worked okay, and the key was to try to stay a bit of distance. It's not a dps race, dodge as much as you can and try to keep him from getting too close.

Titanium armor is super good btw. At this point armor isn't really that useful for blocking damage (assuming you're talking about expert mode) and so the ability to dodge attacks over the course of the battle is better then being able to maybe tank an extra hit. I used the Titanium armor for a loooooong time.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12597 on: October 08, 2017, 08:44:35 pm »

Get leaf wings. They're accessible at the start of Hardmode and all they cost is 1 platinum from the Witch Doctor at night in the jungle, and with them you can just keep running away without bothering with building an arena that much (or at all)

And I agree with Ispil's advice. I beat the Twins by running back and forth across a small world (on a medium or large world you might be able to kill them before reaching the edge of the world). Definitely focus on one at a time, though - each of their second forms are nasty enough on their own.

PPE: xaritscin has a point, but the Destroyer is still weaker if you can get your hands on any piercing weapons at all even without a good arena.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12598 on: October 08, 2017, 08:47:33 pm »

No. No no no no no. I am not in Expert Mode. I am not skilled enough for that. It's also a Crimson world, so anything with Corruption equipment is a no-go.

My world spawned Adamantine, not Titanium. Short of fishing forever, Titanium armor is also a no-go. I barely got enough titanium together for a repeater.

I'll try hunting for that Stormbow, I guess.

Are Leaf Wings substantially better than Fairy Wings?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12599 on: October 08, 2017, 08:48:59 pm »

Are Leaf Wings substantially better than Fairy Wings?

Yes. The increase in flying speed is the most important part.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 838 839 [840] 841 842 ... 887