Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 854 855 [856] 857 858 ... 887

Author Topic: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!  (Read 1254518 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria - 1.3 released. Big Patch!
« Reply #12825 on: November 02, 2017, 04:11:47 pm »

Re: Plantera, I'm guessing you lured it out of the jungle. You shouldn't've did that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12826 on: November 02, 2017, 04:21:45 pm »

Re: Plantera, I'm guessing you lured it out of the jungle. You shouldn't've did that.

not really. Calamity adds a Revengeance mode that is like expert with +difficulty. the Plantera fight was quite tame at the start, but it went out of hand when that thing started getting more speed. i could have won the fight if i hadnt got hit by the head. it did a lot of damage even under damage reduction and that stuff. maybe ishould have kept kiting but i didnt want it to despawn either.

it doesnt help that i use endless ammo instead of dedicated one. now that i got a gun that doesnt convert bullets im gonna try using Ichor/Crystal bullets (changing ammo on the fly is hard for me anyways, probably will go with only one, and i have lots of ichor sitting around storage).

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12827 on: November 02, 2017, 07:52:38 pm »

Re: Hellevator, just... teleporters. Teleporters are your friend in hard mode revengence when it comes to travel. Scratch up the plan or whatever the combined mechanics gubbin is (which is nice to have in your inventory regardless), get a good two or three (or four) thousand pieces of wire, dig a hole somewhere safer than through the underground spirit, and then get down to the business of holding down your left mouse button for entirely too long.

Anyway, yeah, dedicated ammo can help quite a bit. Is also some new ones the mods add that you might want to eyeball if they come up, too. Think you have to kill the profaned god before what I imagine the one you'll be most interested in (high damage, possibility of heal), but there's other stuff if you want to fiddle with mod stuff.

Least of the vanilla stuff, though, crystal or somethin' with some kind of other item to inflict the ichor debuff is generally the best way to go. You don't need constant ichor applications, generally, but you really want the debuff despite that, so something intermittent is generally the best idea.

Want to say if you're using range and can scratch up the components, whatever it is the magazine the rogue sells is a part of can make ranged attacks spit sporadic debuffs (among other things). Might be a good target if you don't already have it and I'm not forgetting for the nth time it takes the manipulator to make it, heh.

There's also an ichor clot sentry-like thing that's freaking amazing for that. Hangs in mid air where you tell it and shoots out what amounts to a golden shower burst every once in a bit, enough to keep most bosses perma ichored without having to do much more than re-cast it when they stop turning yellow (which fortunately isn't often, as it lasts a while). Unfortunately I cannot for the life of me remember where the hell I got it. Know it's from spirit mod, item itself is a book that looks just about like the golden shower does, pretty sure it's a drop, but from what, sod if I know anymore. Could swear I remember using it on the moon lord, though, so...

E: Actually, checking shows the assassin thing take a ectoplasm to finish, so it's post plantera (but just that, you make it at the tinkerer). One of its component pieces (prismatic lens) can also impart the occasional ichor hit, though.

E2: Actually, checking that shows the beacon of the assassin or its component parts apparently don't inflict ichor. The hell was I getting the debuff from, then...?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 07:58:40 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12828 on: November 02, 2017, 08:45:35 pm »

im currently trying to find a replacement for Animosity because honestly, it sucks. i've never been fond of rifle type guns, and the special right click option sucks as well. i need something like the megashark, which i can craft, but its not probably as potent for this mode. using ranged weapons when you have to move constantly sucks anyways, im just trying to get the best DPS i can because the Honey Blade is getting low on damage and at least for plantera i need to deal the most amount of damage while movin around.

im gonna finish farming the essence i need to craft the other summoner armor but it seems i have to make a new crafting station too. it seems most of the guns on this mods cant get the Insanely fast speed that i need. so i guess the good ol' Megashark will have to be my last option for now.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12829 on: November 02, 2017, 09:01:32 pm »

So far as ranged DPS goes... you probably want to keep an eye on bows, too. A lot of the guns are lackluster damage wise compared to equal tier bows, amusingly enough. Nab up the stuff that fires multiple arrows in one go, fiddle around to make sure they're hitting right, then have a blast, heh. Shame the clockwork bow takes luminite. Thing is weirdly solid DPS on top of being about as good at lighting a screen up as anything I've noticed so far.

... that said, guns also have the good ol' homing bullets, so... yeah. Always can try running with that so you don't really have to aim, ehehe.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12830 on: November 02, 2017, 09:45:40 pm »

ok an unreal megashark with ichor bullets and blood corruption glyph was enough to shredd Calamitas  and co. no Chaos Stone but i got the summoner weapon. the Calamity wiki says these guys are like a better version of the optic staff. that is, i get 3 minions per slots and they can pass trough blocks. they dont have the same damage as the beholders or the gastropods but they should be able to dish damage more consistently (i hope).

Plantera is still a no no. last match got me dead with she despawning at 4K health. need to deal more damage to the head, the Gastropods may have not be doing damage at their prime because they are a marksman type minion, i hope the Calamimini brothers will be able to take down that bitch. im gonna spend the last of this batch of potions farming the Brimstone Elemental (still no Rose Stone, fuck this RNG).

what is most ridiculous is that according to the Calamity wiki, Plantera doesnt get anything harder actually, she just get a slight homing capability for her seed projectiles and that's during phase 1 so i have been killed trying to take her down in typical expert mode difficulty.

gonna try with the Crystal bullets this time. now that i can actually do bullet rain on her.

EDIT:

man this boys are nasty. i didnt believe because of the low damage but the elemental only lasted a few seconds or so. not saying she got instapopped or something but they really get focused on the enemy and spam stuff everywhere over them. i hope the Brimstone flames debuff will apply correctly to Plantera because this should be the solution i needed. the megashark was getting some dank crits too but most of the damage was from the Calamimini.

sadly. still no Rose Stone from the elemental. i still have 1 last stock of potions before having to fish and prepare again so im gonna test if i can finally crack that plant.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 09:56:05 pm by xaritscin »

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12831 on: November 02, 2017, 11:04:32 pm »

i did it. i dont know how i did it but it was either the combination of the Calamimini and the Crystal Bullets or that instead of trying to kite her on open space i made Plantera go throught the minecart rail passages and thus was able to shoot straight on her face.

she dropped the jungle key, the temple key, a blue vuvuzela, the flower pow and the thorn hook, along with the expert mode drop and 11 living shards. it seems they are used for some Leviathan related stuff. so gotta keep them.

with the jungle key, i have access now to all the biome chest weapons. on the bad side, that goddamned plant didnt drop the Pygmy Staff so i cant buy the summoner stuff from the witch doctor. gonna have to farm her again later. also, i was expecting to get the wasp gun to fuse it with the bee gun (allthought that's later one during the lunar events, i dont use magic anyways).

since i cant get tiki armor, the most logical option should be get my potion stock again and have at it against the Pumpkin Moon for getting Spooky Armor (allthought it would only be for damage amplification purposes). also getting the necromantic scroll and if possible, the Raven Staff (allthought i like my Calamimini).

there must be something to do in the meantime and of course, compared to the Life bloom Armor, Tiki only gives an increase in DPS (because extra minions), the armor i have gives some sort of sustain and extra armor.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12832 on: November 03, 2017, 01:09:17 am »

well the meantime was a lot of content actually. Solar Eclipse right after Plantera's death. it was a total carnage with all the sentries and minions i had. even Mothron had it hard. got almost everything from the event save for the wings.

now, i saved the materials to make the Terra Staff because while being a magic weapon, it also works as a sentry, really nice addition to my collection of auxiliary weapons.

with that  i upped almost 80 platinum. but the money didnt last long actually. i explored the dungeon until i got all the biome chest weapons. and dropped enough material to craft a lot of ectoplasm on top. Mothron and Bone Lee were the last contracts from the Tracker, so bought the Black Cane summon weapon (have to test it).

with the ectoplasm i was able to make a Dungeon Soul staff which is an upgrade from the Spirit Staff (dungeon souls latch onto enemies acording to the tooltip, gotta test it too).

also with the ectoplasm i got the materials required to craft Asgard's Valor, a shield that combines the bonuses of the Ankh Shield, Abaddon and other 2 shields from calamity for a large bonus of health, regen, inmunities, defense and even a dash. it took some platinum to Ward this thing but it will pay out in the long run.

i also got some Ankh shield materials again while checking the dungeon. plan was to get a second Ankh Shield to craft a Terrarium Defender which is an endgame shield from Thorium that combines the effects of the Ankh shield, the Paladin's Shield and the Star Necklace (plus some added stuff because it uses Terrarium which is a end game thorium material).

anyways. Staff of the Frost Hydra with ruthless and current armor gets  for some absurd damage of 203-206 (but i dont know how good is this weapon against bosses).

with some other materials avaliable thanks to ectoplasm i was also able to convert the Piranha Gun into a Barracuda Gun, which has like 90 base damage and i think it still follows the same mechanic, i added Unreal to it. if this thing is as nasty as i think it is it will probably last well into the end of hardmode thanks to the blood corruption glyph, gotta check how well it fares against bosses, it is a pontetially deadly upgrade from the Megashark (which can also be upgraded too but have to check the materials).

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 01:11:30 am by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12833 on: November 03, 2017, 01:58:10 am »

Black cane's pretty alright, but you really need other shadow weapons (coughthethrowingdaggercough) to take advantage of 'em. Fortunately at least one of said shadow weapons (it might be the throwing dagger just saying) is pretty friggin' beastly so it's quite reasonable to run with at least one or two cane minion pairs to keep the shadow weapon buff (i.e. a +100 damage bonus for the shadow weapons, including the summons, on top of some other stuff) topped off. The non-ranged dagger throwing thing (the whatsit and chain thing) is also surprisingly useful if you ever manage to actually get the damn thing to latch -- adds some sustained damage and slows the moment of most things, some bosses included.

Currently screwing around trying to figure out what does the most DPS while procrastinating about finding some way to tank devourer of gods hits, myself. Finding out painfully that throwing apparently shitkicks every other damage type at the point I'm at. Beats them into the goddamn ground. Lucky to break 2-3k/s with everything else, idle in the 4-5k with shadow dagger + throwing book + white dwarf, and using the providence drop (molten amputator, which you'd think would be sexy for the 300ish base damage, but it's more the lava pods it spews everywhere when it's landing hits) instead will regularly spike into five digit DPS.

Apparently when you take an item that spawns projectiles every time it hits something, moves like a normal (if huge and wall piercing) boomerang (i.e. occasionally will get on the other side or inside your target and hover for a bit, damaging all the while), an item that duplicates what seems to be all of that for fractional damage, and % max health damage per instance of critical damage on top of it all, your damage output goes bugnuts and every bloody other thing you can get your hands on pales in comparison.

... the sad thing is it's annoying, since even with fairly sustained five to ten thousand damage per second it still takes too ruddy long to kill some of these friggin' bosses. Ravager has over a million HP between its parts (all of which must die) post providence. Also it might drop the solution to my devourer problem (an accessory that halves contact damage), assuming it'll drop it before I get fed up and figure out how to edit my max health value instead. So it's somewhat irritating to keep chewing through the freaking damage sponge blighter.

E: Huh. So the crazed contraption seems to live up to its name. The thing fires a random shot made from, as near as I can tell, anything. Anything. Including summoning weapons, pets, and armor set effects, and it's hard to tell if any of that actually counts towards your summoning limit. After shooting it for a while, I now have the stardust stand thing hovering on top of me, two eyeball spring pets, a green rabbit, companion cube, three different lighting pets, the tiki spirit, a tiny dinosaur, tiny corruptor, snowman, parrot, some kind of tree thing I'm not aware of where comes from, a black cat with wizard hat, corrupted mini-net thing, and a floating heart, all following me around. On top of the metroid and zap ufo I normally have. And the elemental axe summons. The screen is... noisy.

E2: Aww hell, what I was trying to test came up positive. The thing can shoot block destroying projectiles, too. So if for some ungodly reason you want a dozen mostly useless decorative pets following you around, be careful where you point the thing as you're spamming shots to get them to show.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 09:18:56 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12834 on: November 03, 2017, 10:47:23 am »

yeah the wiki had the details of the weapon actually. i didnt craft it because of that. too random.

EDIT:

this is something interesting. was checking the Cyborg's stock and he sells a transformation item. it converts you into a morph ball that can fit trought 2 block gaps and it seems it can cling to ceiling. kinda like the sphere thing in Starbound.

also, it sells a a rocket launcher that consumes 1 rocket but shoots several in a spread. not really fond of those anyways.

EDIT2:

ok can confirm that the Barracuda Gun is OP. sanguine strike allows me for cheap heals because the fish latches for a lot of time. in fact. Plantera died rather quickly, only kited her to the first opening. she dropped the Pygmy staff this time (along with Red's set and yoyo) so i promptly prepared the jungle grove for buying the hercules beetle and the pygmy necklace. also bought the armor but again, Life Bloom > Tiki Armor because heals > number of minions.

im gonna wait for a while then test the Amphitheater against the Pumpkin Moon because i need that Necromantic Scroll. then got for the WoF again because i need another summoner emblem.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 11:43:26 am by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12835 on: November 03, 2017, 11:27:03 am »

The spread stuff can be solid so long as all the individual projectiles hit. When they interfere with each other they're kinda'... garbage. Would be decent against massive numbers of enemies, but we're talking zerg potion massive, heh.

... in any case, at least versus the devourer I seem to have solved my damage problem. Still more or less forced into throwing damage, but after giving an elemental disk a whirl shit hath got real. Least versus first-phase devourer of gods I'm now intermittently breaking into six digit DPS, huhuhu. Ruddy disk just vomits out secondary projectiles when it damages something, with each of them able to stack damage on top of each other and individually crit (i.e. trigger the white dwarf set bonus). Makes farming this bastard so much less painful.

Which is good, 'cause you need somewhere over 200 cosmobars just for all the normal stuff you can make with it, and there's a mad recipe that takes 150 of the things (on top of disgusting amounts of other stuff) besides that. And the devourer drops them in batches of like 20-30 or some nonsense.

Haven't seen the cyborg sell a morph ball yet, though. Will have to keep an eye on it, those things can be neat.
Ask not!
Ask!

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12836 on: November 03, 2017, 01:04:13 pm »

had to farm the wall of flesh 3 times to roll a summoner emblem again.

also, the pumpkin moon was doable, died once but reached wave 15 and survived until the morning. the only issue is that with so much pumpkings on screen i couldnt kill enough mourning woods to gather the 750 units of spooky wood required for making the armor.

on the good side i got all the materials for the papyrus scarab and some other neat stuff like the raven staff and the tattered fairy dust.

there was a blood moon and i recovered a material i had sold that was needed to complete an accesory (i wouldnt use it anyway but it could be key for something else). sadly still no Shark Tooth Necklace. but oh well.

EDIT:

man the leviathan fight was a close one. the Siren was almost dead and the beast had less than half health but got killed in the end. next time im gonna use the bloody worm scarf instead of the frozen core. damage reduction is more important than defense i think.

but first, i need to get my fish and herb stock full again.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 02:00:14 pm by xaritscin »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12837 on: November 03, 2017, 05:02:47 pm »

Jeez, your poor Guides.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12838 on: November 03, 2017, 05:44:05 pm »

i dont think he minds it, he was the one that made me seek the underworld after all.

learned that the Siren and the Leviathan dont seem to be affected by the Barracudas so i had to change to other gun. i had the materials required to convert the Megashark into a Megalodon. dont really see whats the damage difference but in added unreal to it and the lifestealing glyph with ichor bullets on top.

the Calamimini guys are still on top in terms of minion utility. tried to fight the duo with the Dungeon Souls and despite being higher in damage they are really bad. i havent tested the ravens but i think im gonna stay with these guys for a while. they will probably last until the lunatic cultist or something.

the Siren was the first to go down, then kept dishing bullets on the beast, died rather quickly but it seems it was more of a damage sponge rather than a heavily armored oponent.

now that they have been defeated i gotta fight the Astrum Deus worm (or worms because it seems revengeance makes you fight several with smaller health). i've already got 2 astral meteors so no Astrageldon Slime. it would be a waste of time and potions i think.

but first, i gotta check the dank loot from the ocean.

EDIT:

pearl of enthrallment on first drop (so i dont have to grind these girls for the waifu component), sirens song with masterfull (saved to the collection), a sword and a throwing weapon which i sold.

the Leviathan ambergris seems like a good accesory to use when i fight Abyssion later on but i dont think im gonna need it actually. the problem with the Aquatic Depths is having to leave one accesory out to be able to breathe underwater. its still a long road before that.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 05:52:56 pm by xaritscin »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12839 on: November 03, 2017, 07:01:17 pm »

Jeez, your poor Guides.
Post moon lord and I'm still pretty regularly throwing in the dolls for more emblems. These mods find more ways to use emblems, heh.

It's become a ritual to take the character's glowing nipples and sit in front of the poor bastard for a bit before I throw another into the lava.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 854 855 [856] 857 858 ... 887