Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263057 times)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #375 on: June 28, 2011, 09:33:58 pm »

Might I recommend changing what it takes to make a soldering iron? The problem is, if you can't find one, the only way to make one requires a power converter. In order to make a power converter, you need a.... soldering iron.

EDIT: Also, has monster spawn been increased? Still on the first day and I'm getting large crowds of monsters on a regular basis.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:40:47 pm by Vorbicon »

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 28, 2011, 09:36:37 pm »

The only way to get rid of it is to press ! twice.
You should only have to press ! to disable it, if your pressing it twice your disabling it and then re-enabling it.

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 28, 2011, 09:38:47 pm »

Whales,
Really excited about the upcoming features. One question will lighting a house on fire burn it to the ground?

Also I've noticed all most all of the faction stuff is in game, are you waiting on the npcs?

I'm asking the first b/c I'm currently attempting to burn down a fort with cigarettes. >:D
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 28, 2011, 09:48:36 pm »

I see the wood spear got nerfed pretty badly. Kinda stinks as a starting weapon now.

Yes, spears and stabbing weapons are their own thing now.  Since they just pierce zombies, the damage is not that great, unless you get a critical, in which case it's pretty much a one-hit kill.  It's also quite possible for a spear to be pulled from your hand after stabbing it into a zombie; if this occurs, that zombie will be slowed greatly, but you won't get your spear back until you kill them.

And yes, melee in general has been nerfed.  It's slower, especially with torso encumberance, and cutting weapons have a good chance of being lodged in your enemy.  This was a completely necessary change--before, it was too easy to grab a machete and just go Rambo, plowing through zombies.  This is not a Rambo game; fleeing should be your tactic a good percentage of the time.

Certain preset classes should get something to start with. For ex., a student gets a backpack

I am planning to scrap the Skills tab of character creation, and replace it with a Class tab, which will determine a few starting skills and equipment.

But fleeing isn't easy. Zombies don't move a great deal slower than your character, and a lot of stuff moves as fast as you do, and sometimes faster. Will there be an actual run command that increases speed, or will monsters be slowed in general to compensate for melee being less useful?

No.  It's more about picking your battles, and using the terrain to your advantage.  Use bashing weapons over cutting ones, unless you're high strength or high in the cutting skill.  Kill the zombies you have to, then retreat behind a door.  Use windows to your advantage.  Watch what you're wearing--an overencumbered torso makes melee much more difficulty.  And above all, carry a firearm--just a handgun, with one box of ammo, for emergencies.  And a couple molotovs.  Molotovs are very, very effective.  One or two can take out a pack of wolves at distance.

Does meleeing zombies with a spear create any noise at all ingame?

No, meleeing is perfectly silent.
EDIT: Pardon me, it's not quite silent.  It makes noise, but not enough noise to make zombies spawn faster; but it will let those within a few tiles know where you are, even if they can't see or smell you.  Normal movement does the same thing.  Not sure if any of you have encountered giant worms and graboids, but they are particularly responsive to noise (it's the only way for them to find you!).

Also can you actually die directly from thirst/hunger as opposed to accumulating huge (>100% :) ) penalties to speed?

Heh, nope.  Oversight on my part--it very rarely comes up.  I'll put it in an update soon.

Each time you start, about a square mile of the world is generated.  All new characters are placed inside this area.  In the future, I'm planning to make new characters get generated outside of this beginning area, so that resources are more available to new characters.
I see. Is there a way I can delete that world save to generate a new square mile of the world? I've gone in and the likely place for it being the Save folder seems to be locked and I can't delete it or anything in it, if not I'll make due and explore outward.

But fleeing isn't easy. Zombies don't move a great deal slower than your character, and a lot of stuff moves as fast as you do, and sometimes faster. Will there be an actual run command that increases speed, or will monsters be slowed in general to compensate for melee being less useful?
It all depends honestly, make sure your paying attention to what you're wearing and on what part since even if your not over encumbered you still may receive small penalties to different things. However, I can't comment all that much since my usual character is a Fleet Footed/Inconspicuous/Light Step build.

There is one thing that even I can't escape though, Wolves. It's the only thing that ever kills me, so it just goes to show that no matter how sneaky or quick you are there's always something sneakier and faster.

Also, I vote butter knives be use able as a makeshift screwdriver, heh.

Done.

Each time you start, about a square mile of the world is generated.  All new characters are placed inside this area.  In the future, I'm planning to make new characters get generated outside of this beginning area, so that resources are more available to new characters.
I see. Is there a way I can delete that world save to generate a new square mile of the world? I've gone in and the likely place for it being the Save folder seems to be locked and I can't delete it or anything in it, if not I'll make due and explore outward.

I'm afraid the only way is to run "rm save/*" which will delete all the files in the save directory.  The save folder is locked?  That is odd.  Are you running cataclysm as root ("sudo ./cataclysm" instead of "./catalysm")?  If so, a) stop it.  Nothing should be done as root.  and b) "sudo rm save/*" will delete the saves, and "sudo chmod a+rw save" will unlock the directory.

What have you got planned, Whales, for the next few updates in terms of content? Any description on banks and mines?

Banks:
Basically your standard reception/tellers area; lots of windows or glass walls and some counters.  Perhaps a back office or two.  If anyone has any ideas for items to put in these areas, I'm open.
In the back, a safe, possibly with a new item: gold bars.  Rather heavy and not much good in melee, but can be traded at high value to NPCs.

The door to the safe in banks will be controlled by a computer, which requires intelligence/computer skill to hack into.  I will also be expanding this to police stations; a central computer will control the doors to the cells, possibly the evidence room (the one near the front, with drugs and stuff in it sometimes).  The computer skill is woefully underutilized (only in labs and missile silos, and even then it's not very important), and I'm going to try to expand the presence of computers in the future.

Mines:
One entrance, located at the end of a road (it will be treated as a town when the overmap generation plots out roads).  Easy to enter, unlike labs and missile silos.  Underground, it will be basically one long tunnel, with one or more passages to lower levels.  Mining tools (jackhammers, hard hats, flashlights, random trash) all over.  Near the bottom, nasty surprises and fantastic rewards--I'll leave that for you to find out ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:59:59 pm by Whales »
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 28, 2011, 09:57:12 pm »

By the way, thanks to Head for the Windows version. Plays well, no crashes so far. Nice to have a game world fresh for me to play in. No other players having blown up all the gas stations before hand.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 28, 2011, 09:57:30 pm »

Man, throwing rocks at things is the best. I've been killing tons of zombies that way, and even some wolves.

It's still dangerous, don't get me wrong, and darkness and stuff is scary as hell, but a bagful of rocks and a good throwing arm make having a fast build and no armor/barely any clothing beyond sneakers/pants/backpack and a playing mp3 player to keep my spirits up a pretty fun build.

I'm sure I'll die soon enough though, it takes several hits to take a single zombie down, and I'll only need to be cornered once to lose it all...

I need to flesh out the UI for throwing--it's annoying to press 't' and find the item you want every time, isn't it?  Glad to hear you discovered another build that works well and that I hadn't thought of ;)

Just found out about the game today, and couldn't believe the stories I read here! Played a couple of runs of it, and it's been great :D

Just one thing that keeps making the game annoying to play: whenever you spot a zombie and are running, a warning message will appear about how you are running and have spotted a monster. The only way to get rid of it is to press ! twice. Once the zombie goes off and on screen again, the same thing happens. It makes it super annoying trying to run from monsters. Any way to turn this off?

"Run Mode" does not make your character move any faster.  It is simply a way to prevent unpleasant surprises.  Run Mode's ONLY effect is to stop you dead in your tracks if a monster enters your field of vision.  This way, you can hold down a movement key when there's no monsters around, and won't need to react quickly if one suddenly shows up.

Might I recommend changing what it takes to make a soldering iron? The problem is, if you can't find one, the only way to make one requires a power converter. In order to make a power converter, you need a.... soldering iron.

EDIT: Also, has monster spawn been increased? Still on the first day and I'm getting large crowds of monsters on a regular basis.

Heh, good point about the soldering iron.  I'll move some stuff around.
Monster spawn has been increased for players sitting still, increasing the need for vigilant trap-setting.  If you play on Eronarn's server, you're probably noticing the effect that generating a fresh world has.  The old one was very mature, and large percantages of the zombie populations had been decimated by players.  Sorry, but that world will be tougher for a while, until you guys do what you're there for and exterminate some braindeads ;)

Whales,
Really excited about the upcoming features. One question will lighting a house on fire burn it to the ground?

Also I've noticed all most all of the faction stuff is in game, are you waiting on the npcs?

I'm asking the first b/c I'm currently attempting to burn down a fort with cigarettes. >:D

Lighting a house on fire will burn up the walls and furniture.  You'll be left with lots of rubble and some floor tiles.  It's hard to set a house on fire, though--use molotovs or douse stuff in gasoline.
Yes, factions are ready to roll, they just need smart and stable NPCs to make them meaningful :)

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 28, 2011, 10:06:24 pm »

I'm afraid the only way is to run "rm save/*" which will delete all the files in the save directory.  The save folder is locked?  That is odd.  Are you running cataclysm as root ("sudo ./cataclysm" instead of "./catalysm")?  If so, a) stop it.  Nothing should be done as root.  and b) "sudo rm save/*" will delete the saves, and "sudo chmod a+rw save" will unlock the directory.
I am indeed running it as "sudo ./cataclysm" since that's what the guide in the previous pages said to do (I don't know anything about Linux, haha). Thanks for the help.

Banks:
Basically your standard reception/tellers area; lots of windows or glass walls and some counters.  Perhaps a back office or two.  If anyone has any ideas for items to put in these areas, I'm open.
In the back, a safe, possibly with a new item: gold bars.  Rather heavy and not much good in melee, but can be traded at high value to NPCs.

The door to the safe in banks will be controlled by a computer, which requires intelligence/computer skill to hack into.  I will also be expanding this to police stations; a central computer will control the doors to the cells, possibly the evidence room (the one near the front, with drugs and stuff in it sometimes).  The computer skill is woefully underutilized (only in labs and missile silos, and even then it's not very important), and I'm going to try to expand the presence of computers in the future.

Mines:
One entrance, located at the end of a road (it will be treated as a town when the overmap generation plots out roads).  Easy to enter, unlike labs and missile silos.  Underground, it will be basically one long tunnel, with one or more passages to lower levels.  Mining tools (jackhammers, hard hats, flashlights, random trash) all over.  Near the bottom, nasty surprises and fantastic rewards--I'll leave that for you to find out ;)
I'd suggest tons of cash money in the vault as well, for burning material or possibly still in use as currency by the military? Maybe tie the Mines in with the Bank as well, like having crates of dynamite in the Mines which you can carry back to the vault door and explode it open, for those of us who aren't so delicate. (Crates of dynamite would be very heavy though and of course the explosion would be extremely loud)

EDIT: Haha, maybe have it so you can fail at hacking it if your not proficient enough so the Banks alarms go off, attracting swaths of undead. If the dynamite thing were to be in as well, that'd set it off by default after the explosion I would imagine.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:15:37 pm by Infuriated »

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 28, 2011, 10:07:45 pm »

I can't see my bodyparts HP on Heads' Windows version, is this normal?

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 28, 2011, 10:17:54 pm »

Excellent, I've managed to place a .sh file which allows me to double click the launcher, then it launches the .sh file, where it cd's its way to the Cataclysm folder, then it launches from there, I think this fixes the bug I've been experiencing, HUZZAH!

Except, the keyboard isn't working..., but that is the launcher's problem. Manually starting it works fine.

Can I boot up the game without sudoing? Or must I sudo?

Never mind, fixed the problem :).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:31:36 pm by justinlee999 »

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 28, 2011, 10:21:57 pm »

Started playing after we got the Windows version, and having quite the blast! Have died a few times, but that's the case with any roguelike. I do seem to still be getting character screen crashes, so I guess I'm not running compatibility mode correctly

Banks:

Another suggestion for bank content: Safe deposit boxes. Probably not as safe as real banks, but extra incentive to steal into the bank as they'd contain more 'instant gratification' items that you can use immediately, instead of stuff like cash or gold bars you'd have to trade away.

New item: Roll of Quarters, improvised unarmed combat weapon.

Also, would it be possible to have a startup 'difficulty' modifier that affects the amount of points you start with?

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 28, 2011, 10:36:06 pm »

Excellent, I've managed to place a .sh file which allows me to double click the launcher, then it launches the .sh file, where it cd's its way to the Cataclysm folder, then it launches from there, I think this fixes the bug I've been experiencing, HUZZAH!

Except, the keyboard isn't working..., but that is the launcher's problem. Manually starting it works fine.

Nice linux-fu!  I don't know why the launcher intercepts the keyboard.  Perhaps instead of running "./cataclysm" in the launcher, you could run "<your terminal emulator here> ./cataclysm"?

You should not sudo when downloading, compiling, or playing the game.  If you sudo'd when you downloaded, you have to sudo when you compile (I think); if you sudo'd when you compiled, you have to sudo when you play.  If you want to "undo" sudoing at any of these stages, cd into the directory where cataclysm lives, then "sudo chown -R username:username *" (where username is... your user name).

I can't see my bodyparts HP on Heads' Windows version, is this normal?

dunno lol :I  Might be a colors issue.

I am indeed running it as "sudo ./cataclysm" since that's what the guide in the previous pages said to do (I don't know anything about Linux, haha). Thanks for the help.

Heh, no problem.  Think of this as a fun(-ish) way to learn a couple things about linux ;)

I'd suggest tons of cash money in the vault as well, for burning material or possibly still in use as currency by the military? Maybe tie the Mines in with the Bank as well, like having crates of dynamite in the Mines which you can carry back to the vault door and explode it open, for those of us who aren't so delicate. (Crates of dynamite would be very heavy though and of course the explosion would be extremely loud)

EDIT: Haha, maybe have it so you can fail at hacking it if your not proficient enough so the Banks alarms go off, attracting swaths of undead. If the dynamite thing were to be in as well, that'd set it off by default after the explosion I would imagine.

Cash money I am uncertain about.  I think I will leave it out for now, until I decide a few things about the barter system.  Dynamite is already in the game ;)  I like the alarm idea--already that's the main penalty for failing hacking in other locations.  Maybe the police station has a robot or two as automatic defenses.

Another suggestion for bank content: Safe deposit boxes. Probably not as safe as real banks, but extra incentive to steal into the bank as they'd contain more 'instant gratification' items that you can use immediately, instead of stuff like cash or gold bars you'd have to trade away.

New item: Roll of Quarters, improvised unarmed combat weapon.

Also, would it be possible to have a startup 'difficulty' modifier that affects the amount of points you start with?

Heh, I like the safe deposit box idea--kind of a "grab bag" of random goodies.  Roll of quarters is cool tool, if only to have something to put in there!
Difficulty modifier isn't a bad idea.  The only issue is that the quasi-MMO aspect of the game means that it's a bit "unfair" for some players to have an easier game than others.  If you want an easier game locally, edit line 50 in newcharacter.cpp, where it says "points = 36;" and re-compile.

Ma88hew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 28, 2011, 10:41:23 pm »

In banks, it would be awesome if, using the computers, you could initiate a lockdown of the bank, making the computer skill useful to the point of giving you a nice safehouse.

Another use of the computer skill would be a way of finding information using computers... Maybe being able to access an in-def description of the various zombies/animals/weapons/stuff you can find or revealing parts of the world map. (google earth? heh)

Maybe even high levels of computers could allow you to gain levels in other skills, providing you have a safe location with a computer. Maybe you can make it slower than with books to keep it balanced. A rare laptop item would be awesome, though.

Cash would be cool, just as a flavor item that is now useless in a bartering society. Maybe.

Would be cool if you added any of these things in. Thanks for being an awesome developer. :D

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 28, 2011, 10:48:27 pm »

Nice linux-fu!  I don't know why the launcher intercepts the keyboard.  Perhaps instead of running "./cataclysm" in the launcher, you could run "<your terminal emulator here> ./cataclysm"?

You should not sudo when downloading, compiling, or playing the game.  If you sudo'd when you downloaded, you have to sudo when you compile (I think); if you sudo'd when you compiled, you have to sudo when you play.  If you want to "undo" sudoing at any of these stages, cd into the directory where cataclysm lives, then "sudo chown -R username:username *" (where username is... your user name).

This is my first time using linux, I figured out my problem, apparently I echoed my superuser password directly to the running command, so I think echo overrides my keyboard. What I did now is to have a separate sudo su command, just for becoming a superuser, THEN execute the file. It's OK now though.

Also thanks for telling me about that sudo thing, didn't know that, I sudoed the download.

Also heh, a can of cola and MP3 player on the floor, and a marijuana nearby, I think I stumbled onto a crackhouse.

If anyone is interested, I can write a guide on how to make a double-click launcher. For linux.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 10:58:49 pm by justinlee999 »

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 28, 2011, 10:56:16 pm »

I'm interested Justin

And Whales, when will the bank/mine update be out?

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 28, 2011, 10:57:23 pm »

Heh, I like the safe deposit box idea--kind of a "grab bag" of random goodies.  Roll of quarters is cool tool, if only to have something to put in there!
Difficulty modifier isn't a bad idea.  The only issue is that the quasi-MMO aspect of the game means that it's a bit "unfair" for some players to have an easier game than others.  If you want an easier game locally, edit line 50 in newcharacter.cpp, where it says "points = 36;" and re-compile.

Good to hear you like them! Though I'm not quite sue if I can make that edit to heads' windows version.

Edit: Extended Magazine has an error in the description. It says it modifies magazine capacity by 50, but in reality it's only 5.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:00:10 pm by TwilightWalker »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 777