Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 777

Author Topic: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike  (Read 1263053 times)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: A Zombie-Survival Roguelike
« Reply #465 on: June 29, 2011, 07:42:51 pm »

Sorry I missed most of the stream!  I had to go gather some food.  Speaking of which, botany will be folded in as a new skill; it will (primarily) let you identify wild edible plants.

The crafting rags using cutting items is a good idea.  Already you can use scissors as a tool to slice up clothing, but it's kind of hard to find a pair.

Odd that the square around the minimap in the windows version is all letters.  That means that line drawings aren't being intialized properly--I guess pdcurses uses different codes for those than ncurses.

I... did not know that. I've come across so many scissors it's ridiculous. I'll have to hunt down a pair.

EDIT: Question about turrets. Are they a permanent thing, or can I pick them up and put them down somewhere else afterward?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:56:36 pm by Vorbicon »

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 29, 2011, 08:52:35 pm »

Any item in the "TOOLS" section of your inventory can be applied to use it (with the one exception of the hot plate).  To get a description of what a tool does, hit i then select it.

Turrets are permanent for now.  Also if you leave them they will be gone when you come back (but I'll fix that).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:54:32 pm by Whales »
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Goacbc

• Bay Watcher
  • Vote or Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 29, 2011, 09:31:05 pm »

Whales,
This game is fecking awesome. I now can simulate being wasted without even being wasted. What inspired you?
-Fuck Weak Motherfuckers

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 29, 2011, 09:42:13 pm »

Getting wasted himself? :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Whales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 29, 2011, 09:53:11 pm »

Whales,
This game is fecking awesome. I now can simulate being wasted without even being wasted. What inspired you?
Getting wasted himself? :P

^ This.  ALSO I really like the entire Fallout series, but felt like it'd be neated to have more real-life drugs.  I also wanted a less-artificial reason for players to use drugs than "Strength +2, Dexterity +2;" so that's where the morale system came in.
Cataclysm Source Code:  https://github.com/Whales/Cataclysm
Official Cataclysm Forums:  http://whalesdev.com/forums/index.php
My Twitter - mostly Cataclysm related:  http://twitter.com/#!/whalesdev

Join me in #cataclysmrl on irc.quakenet.org!

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 29, 2011, 10:45:12 pm »

Fallout series

Would like a way to mod this game so less left for dead zombies (Not a fan) and more fallout monsters.

When you equip 2 bootstraps is the encumberance ment to go from 0 to 2? It adds 2 to Encumber for each one further added beyond the first.

Playing Windows
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:49:45 pm by Lord Inquisitor »
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 29, 2011, 10:48:11 pm »

Head, a little problem with the save function on the windows version:

It saves you, but not the items. Any items picked up, broken, moved... since the save will not be restored on loading.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 29, 2011, 11:40:24 pm »

When is the bank update going to be added? Today or tomorrow?

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 29, 2011, 11:57:29 pm »

Also, could you make the game just a teeny bit easier? ATM, I usually get swarmed by zombies or manage to escape the city and get killed by some fungus or a giant bee. One thing you could do is have the player start in a fully populated city, at the very beginning of the infection, while there was still law and other people, and it would eventually degrade into the empty wasteland like it is now, but with less food n' stuff. I've yet to find another human, and when I do, I'm gonna recruit them, and blow their head off with mah epic silenced extended clip smg. So you might wanna increase the odds for humanity just a little bit. Also, more YASD.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 30, 2011, 12:02:19 am »

Easier? o_O

Just not saying it. It's not terribly difficult as is. If you're getting swarmed, you are probably doing something wrong...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 30, 2011, 12:05:40 am »

I really dig this game. Reminds me of old abandonrogues like DeadCold... always liked firearms and futurism in roguelikes, I'm tired of all those sword & sorcery ones.

I have a couple things that irk me really bad:

- Almost immediately when I start and head to the nearest gun store or sporting goods store, I get swarmed by all kinds of undead, basic AND advanced. Usually a bunch of greens (regulars), one or two shockers, a necromancer, brute and VERY often a hulk. That's even before the first night (basically as soon as I set step outside of the 2 or 3 houses that are right near my start point). I get that you should leave the town quickly, but it would be nice to limit the monster spawns during the first couple of days (just enough that you get the point that zombies have invaded... but not a freakin' army)

- Item limit: I get this with most roguelikes when inventories use a-z, A-Z key bindings. YOU CAN NEVER CARRY MORE THAN 52 items. That's annoying. What's the point of volume and weight if you're limited by the number of keys in your keyboard? I was carrying a backpack and trenchcoat, trying to load as much food and ammo in my inventory, but I didn't even hit 2/3 of my volume and about half maximum weight and I couldn't carry a single more item without dropping another, no matter how big or small. I hate this about UnReal World also, but at least there you don't have a volume stat, so the item # limit is a sorta substitute, so it's less annoying.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 30, 2011, 12:07:49 am »

Easier? o_O

Just not saying it. It's not terribly difficult as is. If you're getting swarmed, you are probably doing something wrong...
Yeah, so far I've only died to accidental/intentional suicide or crashes.

Make your guy good at firearms, get a backpack, to all the gun stores, grab everything, get shooty. Seriously, there's a lot of nice stuff there.

- Almost immediately when I start and head to the nearest gun store or sporting goods store, I get swarmed by all kinds of undead, basic AND advanced. Usually a bunch of greens (regulars), one or two shockers, a necromancer, brute and VERY often a hulk. That's even before the first night (basically as soon as I set step outside of the 2 or 3 houses that are right near my start point). I get that you should leave the town quickly, but it would be nice to limit the monster spawns during the first couple of days (just enough that you get the point that zombies have invaded... but not a freakin' army)
Huh? Wow, you got unlucky. I've only seen normal zombies and a boomer so far.

- Item limit: I get this with most roguelikes when inventories use a-z, A-Z key bindings. YOU CAN NEVER CARRY MORE THAN 52 items. That's annoying. What's the point of volume and weight if you're limited by the number of keys in your keyboard? I was carrying a backpack and trenchcoat, trying to load as much food and ammo in my inventory, but I didn't even hit 2/3 of my volume and about half maximum weight and I couldn't carry a single more item without dropping another, no matter how big or small. I hate this about UnReal World also, but at least there you don't have a volume stat, so the item # limit is a sorta substitute, so it's less annoying.
Yeah, I HATE the arbitrary item limit, too. I mean, I highly doubt anyone in the world is so stubborn they'll only carry a max of 52 "items".

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 30, 2011, 12:15:00 am »

Also, could you make the game just a teeny bit easier? ATM, I usually get swarmed by zombies or manage to escape the city and get killed by some fungus or a giant bee. One thing you could do is have the player start in a fully populated city, at the very beginning of the infection, while there was still law and other people, and it would eventually degrade into the empty wasteland like it is now, but with less food n' stuff. I've yet to find another human, and when I do, I'm gonna recruit them, and blow their head off with mah epic silenced extended clip smg. So you might wanna increase the odds for humanity just a little bit. Also, more YASD.

About this: lack of NPCs seems to be a temporary issue, having to do with the NPC AI code being a bit in the early stages to have any serious human presence, as said a few times by Whales, so to me it's not such a big deal for now. It might however do something about the big swarms of zombies that you can find, if they're busy trying to eat other people instead of basically the whole town o' zombies being guided missiles that try to eat you and only you.

EDIT: BTW, is it normal to walk a few yards outside of town to find basically a bunch of scientist corpses loaded with implants and mutagens, around a heavily trapped area that has absolutely no buildings whatsoever?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:17:56 am by Sergius »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 30, 2011, 12:20:08 am »

God, this is most definitely the worse thing about the game right now for sure. I think throwing in item stacking would definitely go a big way towards fixing it, though.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 30, 2011, 12:29:44 am »

God, this is most definitely the worse thing about the game right now for sure. I think throwing in item stacking would definitely go a big way towards fixing it, though.

It would be great if it worked for drugs and food. Spoilage may be a problem tho, unless some items never spoil (milk definitely goes bad, don't know about orange juice or sodas), you can't just stack together an almost spoiled apple with a fresh one. Except if the game keeps track of each item in a stack separately, but then there would be the issue if you can't tell if an instance of the item is rotten or not.

The best way to "stack" batteries seems to be in a MP3 player :D
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 777